Canelo's best test at SMW?

Nova44

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So i've been rewatching some Plant and Benavidez fights lately and i was just wondering who people think has the best shot at beating (or least testing) Canelo at SMW?

I really like Benavidez's style, he's a bit awkward but he walks down every opponent, he's got a great chin, he's tall and can fight at range but chooses to fight close most of the time. I honestly don't know how he would do but i think he has a genuine shot.

Plant is the one i'm not sure about. He's slick and TKO'd his last 2 opponents but they weren't exactly the hardest people to beat.

Like i said, just wondering who people think could possibly test/beat Canelo at SMW, even if it's not one of these two. The consensus online seems to be "Canelo beats everyone not named Beterbiev"

Bring back augar ray robinson from the dead and give him wolverine claws.

edit: nvm SMw did not exist back then, there are no challenges for canelo

edit2: oh u mentioned Bietrebev? Thought it was just smw from the title. Fury/Joshua winner might be suitable challenge.

edit3: I lied none of those were edits

edit2: oh u mentioned Bietrebev? Thought it was just smw from the title. Fury/Joshua winner might be suitable challenge.

giphy.gif

Skilled boxers like Lara and Trout gave Canelo problems. Floyd won almost every round.

The only slugger that gave Canelo problems was GGG. They were really 1-1 if you take away the bs 1st fight scorecards.

I will go with BJS and Plant giving Canelo a tougher fight than Benavidez.

I never said Betebiev...

I asked who at SMW has a chance and then said the general consensus online seems to be that nobody has a chance vs Canelo unless he goes to LHW and fights Beterbiev.

Simple really.

Skilled boxers like Lara and Trout gave Canelo problems. Floyd won almost every round.

The only slugger that gave Canelo problems was GGG. They were really 1-1 if you take away the bs 1st fight scorecards.

I'm not sure why but i completely forgot BJS existed.

A focused version of Benavidez gives Canelo trouble. His power and the way he puts his punches together make Canelo think.

That being said a focused version of Benavidez is like a fit version of Andy Ruiz. Unlikely to show up.

Canelo would be the favourit over every single smw. But if i had to pick a guy to have a good shot it would have to be benavidez. He has a great workrate, good power etc. If he can make it a war against Canelo who knows. There is a reason why Canelo is only throwing 30-40 punches per round. He is no cardio machine. If you can force a great pace it could get very interesting.

Probably Benavidez. Plant seems talented so his slickness might cause Canelo some problems, but canelo has gotten a lot better at seek and destroy tactics, I don't think we're gonna be seeing anybody do a Lara type strategy (or something even remotely analogous) successfully against Canelo again.

I don’t think Benavidez matches up well against Canelo, too stationary not enough defense, he can match or even surpass Canelo in volume but those two deficits I mentioned would be enough for Canelo to punish David, Plant on the other hand is the type of fighter that Canelo had problems against in the past but Canelo has improved a lot since the Trout and Lara fights, with that said im confident in Canelo breaking down Plant for a stoppage

well most people thought it was Smith 6 months ago

I never said Betebiev...

I asked who at SMW has a chance and then said the general consensus online seems to be that nobody has a chance vs Canelo unless he goes to LHW and fights Beterbiev.

Simple really.
Not just Beterbiev. I've yet to find one person who would favor Canelo over Bivol.

So i've been rewatching some Plant and Benavidez fights lately and i was just wondering who people think has the best shot at beating (or least testing) Canelo at SMW?

I really like Benavidez's style, he's a bit awkward but he walks down every opponent, he's got a great chin, he's tall and can fight at range but chooses to fight close most of the time. I honestly don't know how he would do but i think he has a genuine shot.

Plant is the one i'm not sure about. He's slick and TKO'd his last 2 opponents but they weren't exactly the hardest people to beat.

Like i said, just wondering who people think could possibly test/beat Canelo at SMW, even if it's not one of these two. The consensus online seems to be "Canelo beats everyone not named Beterbiev"
USADA, a fair ref and honest judges.

Benavidez beats Plant but loses horribly to Canelo. Plant loses too but has a better showing against Canelo.

SMW is pretty poor atm. I would have liked to watch Canelo vs. some of the best SMW from the past. RJJ, Calzaghe, Froch, Kessler, Eubank, McCallum, Toney and Ward.

Plant could pose some challenges, but I don't think he has enough to beat Canelo (particularly in terms of workrate and stamina). Saunders' style might also give Canelo some issues for the first half of their fight, but I don't think he has enough in the locker to really come close to winning. Benavidez has a ton of raw talent, but I don't see his feet or defense as being good enough at the moment. Morrell could be an interesting challenge down the line if he shows well against Ryder. He might actually have more raw ability than Benavidez.

Last edited:
There's are no real challengers to Canelo at 168, let's be honest. The people who are being mentioned here are largely unproven. He beats all of them. If GGG can't get a decision against Canelo you can bet none of these relative unknowners are going to get anything if the fight is close (That's the just the way it is).

I completely disagree with BJS. He's not the kind of mover that Lara and , to a lesser extent, Trout are. His movement ability is overrated because he fought two slow moving fighters in Lemieux and Martin Murray and looked good against them. He was in huge trouble against Chris Eubank Jr. late in their fight and even against Andy Lee.

Benavidez is interesting because of the sheer volume of punches he's going to throw and he doesn't appear to be the type of fighter that gets tired. Also, mentally he's the type of fighter who's not going to be afraid of Canelo, and he'll let his hands go. Maybe he'll get knocked out but maybe he'll wear out Canelo. That's the most interesting style to me.

Plant is like a Callum Smith, I don't see that as being too competitive.

Back