Canelo Will Only Fight Pacquiao at 154, No Catch-Weight

pacquiao-vs-alvarez.jpg

mayweather-canelo-los-angeles-620x330.jpg

Im not even interested in that fight.

Really tired of people trying to shit on fighters for not wanting to give up tons of weight to bigger guys or try killing themselves getting down to lower ones.

The size difference of these two is just stupid.

dumb fight, shouldn't happen

Canelo should focus on Lara

Pac on finding a high level opponent whom he hasn't fought a trillion times

Yeah, Canelo shouldn't pursue the fight. If Pac wants it he can go to 154. Canelo has Lara in front of him right now, and maybe a future fight at 160 to look forward to.

Does 2 pounds make that big of a difference for a boxer? I'm not trying to be a jackhole I am legitimately curious.

He struggles to make even 154 now which is why his last two fights, Angulo and Lara are at 155.

Still if he did 152 for Floyd, he should do 152 for PAC as well. Beating PAC would make him to a legit superstar in boxing.

But highly doubtful, by 2015 he will be 160 I believe. If Cotto wins on Saturday, I could see Canelo vs Cotto at 160 in the fall.

Does 2 pounds make that big of a difference for a boxer? I'm not trying to be a jackhole I am legitimately curious.

Depends on the fighter. But a guy like Canelo cuts a lot of weight already, so asking a him to cut just 1 more than he is used to can diminish him quite a bit. At the elite level every advantage counts even a couple pounds. It may not sound like a big deal to you and me, but some of these guys are killing themselves to make weight.

He struggles to make even 154 now which is why his last two fights, Angulo and Lara are at 155.

Still if he did 152 for Floyd, he should do 152 for PAC as well. Beating PAC would make him to a legit superstar in boxing.

But highly doubtful, by 2015 he will be 160 I believe. If Cotto wins on Saturday, I could see Canelo vs Cotto at 160 in the fall.

Does anyone know Canelo's fight night weight? If he struggles at 154, he could be 165+ fighting a 147 Pac...

Fight doesnt make sense....but I would watch it.

Depends on the fighter. But a guy like Canelo cuts a lot of weight already, so asking a him to cut just 1 more than he is used to can diminish him quite a bit. At the elite level every advantage counts even a couple pounds. It may not sound like a big deal to you and me, but some of these guys are killing themselves to make weight.

I didn't realize he cut that much weight already.

fight him at the same weight u fucking did floyd.

hope lara punishes him

2 pounds can be a huge difference to a fighter who is already cutting a ton of weight. Years ago, I needed to cut 18 pounds for a fight because the other wanted to fight 5 pounds below my weight class. I ended up not being able to cut the last two. I was drained and exhausted cutting 3 more pounds even after years or weight cutting in wrestling.

he doesnt need pac

Foolish to ever believe this fight was gonna happen. Pac's team already said they're not fighting above 150 again. Freddie wants him back at 140. Only an idiot would accuse Pac of trying to get Canelo to drain himself.

I didn't realize he cut that much weight already.

Yeah, quite a bit.

On fight night, Floyd was 150 for their 152 fight and Canelo closer to 175.

2 more pounds for a fighter who cuts down quite a bit already can be really difficult.

Just as in MMA, a lot of these guys are nowhere near the contracted weight come fight night. Not even close.
MMA is even crazier, really. Most people don't understand that UFC 185'ers walk at 210/215 and the 205'ers at 235-250, even.

But there are a few boxers who are close to walking weight, Floyd being one. And a few who cut tons, JCCJR comes to mind.

Fight doesn't make sense for Pacquiao. Doesn't make sense for Canelo either if he's expected to fight at a catch weight. Pacquiao's camp was already hinting at going back to 140 before Oscar even floated the idea of this fight.

Canelo had trouble getting down to 154 against Angulo it would seem. I don't think he is very long for the weight. We'll likely see him at 160 relatively soon regardless of what happens in the Lara fight.

Back