1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Canelo will KO Beterbiev

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Castello, Nov 4, 2019.

1. breadfighter

breadfighter Toiling in underground sugar caves

Are these the guys you're all talking about? They look terrible, or am I crazy?

vapor&dust likes this.
  2. JayE

JayE Red Belt

The latter.

3. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

This.

Yacob likes this.
  4. JayE

JayE Red Belt

I highly doubt it. If they were both MWs, Canelo would light him up and soundly outbox him, but Beterbiev is a much bigger man and is really physically imposing for a LHW (and Canelo is an average sized MW). Canelo could win a lot of rounds, but Beterbiev, unlike most ex-Soviet bloc fighters, can actually work on the inside, and he's relentless. I think his physicality would be the difference in the 2nd half, although, Canelo would definitely have his moments countering him early.

5. breadfighter

breadfighter Toiling in underground sugar caves

This is what I was saying in my previous post. If they were in the same weight class Canelo would beat the shit out of this guy. He really does look undercooked compared to great LHW's of the past.

Edit: Just watched the later rounds and he looked better. But still not comparable to past elite LHWs imo.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  6. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Also, he would definitely sit on his punches. The fire Canelo would get would be very different than what he took from Kovalev.

xavion and JayE like this.
  7. JayE

JayE Red Belt

Yeah. Kovalev was damaged goods by the time Canelo got to him. I don't mean to discredit the win when I say that (I put money on Kovalev knowing full well he wasn't at his peak; it's still an extremely impressive win), because even a damaged goods Kovalev is a top LHW with one of the best jabs in the sport and very heavy hands (regardless of whether or not he's sitting down on stuff), but there will be no wilting from Beterbiev. Canelo's boxing skill would cause Beterbiev fits at times, but even if Canelo's tank has improved (as evidenced in Golovkin 2), I think it would tested to the breaking point against Beterbiev.

You can see how a guy with some versatility who is comparable size to Beterbiev will beat him, though. He has real defensive flaws, especially when he's forced on the backfoot. Still, really nice offenisve skillset.

HelpYouFall and Hagler like this.
  8. Yacob

Yacob WBC Interim Junior Welterweight White Truffle Belt

Beterbiev isn't going to box pretty, you won't see this dude grooving and moving...

Do you watch mma? This guy is like the Khabib of boxing....he just saps the life out of people with his raw strength. And he hits like a Boeing 747. His jabs are as hard as some guy's straight punches and I'm not even really exaggerating.

He's also got a 100% knockout rate while holding a world title.

This guy is the boogeyman

realdealgeale and Ruv like this.
  9. JayE

JayE Red Belt

He's beatable. Very good fighter, yes, but still has some pretty clear flaws. Not sure if anyone at 75 has the skills combined with the physical talents to do it at the moment, though.

10. Yacob

Everybody's got flaws though. I think he's an outstanding fighter. Not the best boxer but he can fight. I like fighters.

george-oli and JayE like this.
  11. JayE

JayE Red Belt

His offensive skillset stands out in any era. Against some of the greatest LHWs he'd be in real trouble because of defensive flaws, but make no mistake that he's a very imposing offensive fighter.

xavion likes this.
  12. JayE

JayE Red Belt

Sure, but I'd say his are quite noticeable for an elite fighter, which he definitely is. It doesn't mean that he can't cement himself as the clear best LHW of this mini-era, of course. It's a shame that he didn't get his chances at a younger age. Ideally he would have been fighting top competition permanently after the Cloud fight.

Yacob likes this.
  13. Yacob

Yeah i heard he fought Kovalev as an amateur...he's no spring chicken.

It sucks because we probably never saw the best version of him.

I don't know how he'll go down in his era but he's one of the most enjoyable fighters to watch right now imo because he's unique

JayE likes this.
  14. JayE

JayE Red Belt

He does have a fairly distinct style. Similar offensively to some past Soviet-bloc schooled guys in many ways, but he doesn't accept clinches and can actually fight on the inside. If a guy like Golovkin could fight on the inside, he'd be looked at as one of the better pressure fighters of all time. It's a shame he never really learned. Golovkin was more talented than Beterbiev in most regards, but not in that way.

RabbitPunch36, Hagler and Yacob like this.
  15. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Canelo got a Kovalev that was ripe for the picking. Canelo is not a legit light heavy... Beterbiev isn’t the technical boxer that Canelo is, but Beterbiev is a monster at 175. I just can’t see Canelo’s management taking that kind of risk. I think Beterbiev would beat the snot out of Canelo and it would be a dominant KO.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    PHATV, Jonny Ninja and Yacob like this.
  16. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

thats exactly what he should do. Forget about cherry picking poor ‘champions’ with a Mickey Mouse belt, or over the hill champions. He should move up to smw proper. Smith and benevidez give him a fckin fight. Hopefully this is his next move

17. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I agree with Biev vs Canelo but trying to downplay Kova is ridiculous. Hes still a top LHW. Comfortably.

PHATV likes this.
  18. ImmigrantMentality

ImmigrantMentality Green Belt

Beterbiev doesn't have the greatest chin, I actually could see canelo dropping/stopping him but most likely Beterbiev would recover and it wouldn't be good for Canelo. If I was on canelos team I wouldn't take this fight. Its not even the biggest money fight he could take and even if canelo did make it out without being stopped he'd probably take a lot of damage. Wouldn't be good for the rest of his career

19. HardasNAILZ

HardasNAILZ Brown Belt

I love Canelo but Beterbiev KOs him rather quickly in my opinion.

Yacob likes this.
  20. Castello

Castello Orange Belt

I think most of you guys aren't taking into consideration Canelo's speed. GGG, Jacobs and Kovalev fought on the outside to avoid Canelo's lighting missiles counters.. As soon as Kovalev parried the first left hook after throwing his right, that in round 1, he remained defensive until the end of fight.

Beterbiev fights on the inside, and you can clearly see he does not have the same speed and accuracy. Canelo is very difficult to find, he dodges he body and his head extremely fast. The Russian will get caught in violent counter punches, without being really able to hit back. It will be violent for both fighters, but he will go down before round 5 imo

vapor&dust likes this.