Canelo vs Usyk?

I think he’ll stop at CW if he beats makubu, and go back down to LHW. Breidis is a step too far and okolie is too big. He’s really a HW that cuts to CW

If he does step up to fight usyk he’ll lose. The size difference will be far too big especially as they are on a similar skill level

If he does step up to fight usyk he’ll lose. The size difference will be far too big especially as they are on a similar skill level
It will be a step up but its manageable.
Canelo is about Marciano's size so taking on a HW the size of Usyk is not beyond the realm of possibility. I wouldn't underestimate him there against someone of reasonable size limits.
Their fight IQ and technical proficiency is comparable I agree, but Canelo can probably hit harder if he bulks up.

Eddie Hearn think this could work and it is not too much of a stretch.
Usyk was a cruiser weight and is a small HW.
Stranger things have happened.

https://news.yahoo.com/canelo-alvarez-gives-verdict-possible-093424864.html

“Listen, he could move up and fight at heavyweight. I mean, Usyk’s not a massive heavyweight, Trevor Bryan is a world champion as well."
Make it happen at 205 for Usyk's titles. It almost certainly makes Canelo the best of all time if he wins, although Fury still claims the lineal title, so to call him HW champion would still come with an asterisk.

I think he’ll stop at CW if he beats makubu, and go back down to LHW. Breidis is a step too far and okolie is too big. He’s really a HW that cuts to CW

He could still fight the other champs that can make 190 and it would add to his legacy. It makes more sense to try to unify at 175 after this. He still has a couple of years to grow into CW if there aren't any big fights for him at lower weights.

I guarantee he’s well above 200 right now
If he's kept in fighting shape he might prefer a fight at LHW. A shot at a CW title at 190 pounds or less might be a good enticement though. The WBC would have to sanction it.

If he's kept in fighting shape he might prefer a fight at LHW. A shot at a CW title at 190 pounds or less might be a good enticement though. The WBC would have to sanction it.
WBC will bend over backwards for Canelo fees and to make a fancy commemorative title for the fight

Make it happen at 205 for Usyk's titles. It almost certainly makes Canelo the best of all time if he wins, although Fury still claims the lineal title, so to call him HW champion would still come with an asterisk.
It would be a hell of an achievement. I know it's a fantasy fight but do we think Canelo could have taken Marciano?

He could still fight the other champs that can make 190 and it would add to his legacy. It makes more sense to try to unify at 175 after this. He still has a couple of years to grow into CW if there aren't any big fights for him at lower weights.

Yeah I think that’s what he’ll do. They obviously see makubu as a winnable fight, even with the size difference. Fair play to him
He’s already unified SMW so I think he’ll try and unify LHW next.

It would be a hell of an achievement. I know it's a fantasy fight but do we think Canelo could have taken Marciano?
I don't know about that. It would be interesting to see whose punches would break the other down first. Canelo has good defense but Marciano was pretty crafty and was a debilitating puncher.

Back