Canelo vs Kovalev will it be similar to Cotto vs Martinez?

If everyone picks Kovalev and then pretends they knew he'd lose all along when he does, then yes.

It’s pretty obvious that Kovalev is on the decline, while Canelo seems to be getting better or at least maintaining.

I know you like to act like some kind of goddamn contrarian wiseman or something, but let’s be honest, Canelo has a pretty good shot to beat Kovalev at this point and I think the majority of knowledgeable fans would agree.

It’s pretty obvious that Kovalev is on the decline, while Canelo seems to be getting better or at least maintaining.

I know you like to act like some kind of goddamn contrarian wiseman or something, but let’s be honest, Canelo has a pretty good shot to beat Kovalev at this point and I think the majority of knowledgeable fans would agree.
Seemed like a lot were picking Kova in the other thread.

Seemed like a lot were picking Kova in the other thread.

Sounds like we need a poll. Just my anecdotal impression was that most people are at least open to the idea of a Canelo win.

But hey, I could be wrong.

It will be at a weight that will drain the fuck out of Kov if it were to ever happen - with stiff penalties for going overweight.

And in all likelihood Clenelo will be loading up on tainted tacos.

Sounds like we need a poll. Just my anecdotal impression was that most people are at least open to the idea of a Canelo win.

But hey, I could be wrong.
Bumped it and added a poll

Is there any reason to believe that this fight happens? Canelo was just throwing out names to avoid GGG - like when he got busted for PEDs for the same reason.

Don’t see any point in this fight. I’d he beats kov, is he going to defend it, or just keep it till hes stripped? If he wants belts at other weights then he should move up and fight one of the real SMW champ. No one considered Rocky a world title holder. His belt is 2 bob
And if he beats those guys, move to LHW.

Knowing Sherdog that's probably what happens other than a few of us Old guys picking Canelo.

Old cat and phatv , myself and you vs everyone else

I feel left out and attacked here.

So many angry middle aged men...

YAGpXPd.png

I think people are thinking Canelo will have an easy time by just going to the body, but if Kovalev's jab is going that's going to be a big hurdle to overcome. Canelo hasn't faced anyone with 175lb power and Kovalev did just KO a larger LHW with a jab.

Yarde was able to have some success against Kovalev while being broken down and tired, but he's also much bigger than Canelo and has faced LHW power throughout his, career, as short as it has been so far. Can Canelo handle the same power? It's not like Rocky was a big puncher at 168 where we got any idea where he stood and it's not like he was even half the fighter Kovalev is.

GGG was able to cut Canelo with punches, you have to figure Canelo will face harder ones from Kovalev, and that was the area of the GGG/Canelo fights that GGG had his most success and i'd say Kovalev's jab is better than GGG's.

Canelo is in his prime, Kovalev is past his prime but is arguably still the best in the division and isn't coming off a year plus injury rehab like Martinez was. Canelo is favored but it's certainly going to be a test.

What does this even have to do with what I said?It was obvious Sergio was declining too. Sergio was a massive favorite with almost everyone against Cotto. Everyone knew he was declining and still picked him to easily beat Cotto. Not to mention the fact that Cotto was a horrible matchup for Sergio, even prime Sergio.

So if a lot of people pick Kovalev, then yeah, I'd say its the same thing. Ignoring a fighters decline and his weaknesses to pick the guy they like better. Then we'll see how many stick with that pick after Kovaelv gets stopped.

I think people are thinking Canelo will have an easy time by just going to the body, but if Kovalev's jab is going that's going to be a big hurdle to overcome. Canelo hasn't faced anyone with 175lb power and Kovalev did just KO a larger LHW with a jab.

Yarde was able to have some success against Kovalev while being broken down and tired, but he's also much bigger than Canelo and has faced LHW power throughout his, career, as short as it has been so far. Can Canelo handle the same power? It's not like Rocky was a big puncher at 168 where we got any idea where he stood and it's not like he was even half the fighter Kovalev is.

GGG was able to cut Canelo with punches, you have to figure Canelo will face harder ones from Kovalev, and that was the area of the GGG/Canelo fights that GGG had his most success and i'd say Kovalev's jab is better than GGG's.

Canelo is in his prime, Kovalev is past his prime but is arguably still the best in the division and isn't coming off a year plus injury rehab like Martinez was. Canelo is favored but it's certainly going to be a test.
I dont think Kova will be able to hit him as much as Golovkin did. I also dont think there is a huge difference in Kova’s power next to Golovkin or Dannys.

Yarde was able to have some success against Kovalev while being broken down and tired, but he's also much bigger than Canelo and has faced LHW power throughout his, career, as short as it has been so far. Can Canelo handle the same power?

My question as well

Back