Canelo vs Kovalev Nov.2 Dazn

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MMALOPEZ, Sep 7, 2019.

?

Who you got?

1. Canelo

56.7%
  2. Kovalev

43.3%
  1. deucesarewild

deucesarewild Orange Belt

Looks vicious, and I actually won't criticize that Canelo EVENTUALLY fights big names, but can balance things a bit? Mosley, alreafy had a verbal signs of brain damage in 2012 (much respect to the old champ), Cotto was no sprint chicken, Khan was inactive and went up two weight classes. Chavez Jr's best night was vs Andy Lee and I am convinced he had an identical twin that night when he beat Andy.

GGG, in 2015, they admitted the fight could wait. And it did. It took little Kell for all the big boys to come to the table.

Still, the Lara, Trout, Jacobs wins are completely on the nose.

2. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Leather Belt

I’ll want to see the particulars.....actual contracted weight and any clauses, but, yeah, I’ll likely put a hundy on Kovalev.

3. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Purple Belt

Credit where its due, Canelo has some balls. This is a serious fight.

4. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Leather Belt

Well, you need both, honestly, but, overall, I agree.

This’s weekend for example ESPN+ has FURY vs a heavybag, DAZN has Haney on Friday and Munguia on Saturday. All three are showcases, but Fury’s opponent is an entirely different level of no-hoper.

5. burge13

burge13 Green Belt

+420 in Australia

6. Athenry04

Athenry04 Black Belt

I'm well interested in this fight, and although Kov is dangerous, I think Canelo wins at a canter.

7. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

I don’t really care too much for this fight. Respect to canelo for stepping up in weight, as long as there is no bullshit rehydration clause. But he’s fighting a guy that is shadow of himself. That’s why they are looking at this fight. Is this really what fans want to see?
    If he wants belts in other weights then he should move up like most fighters do. I don’t consider him a SMW title holder as the belt he fought for is meaningless. The guy he beat will never be good enough to fight for one of the real belts. Would rather he moved to SMW and fight the real champions, just like Loma is doing

8. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Fair enough. I do also prefer that when titles are involved its the full limit. But I wont get up in arms over them either.

As a fan of Clenelo Id like to see him get some positive PR for a change so hopefully Kova can be as big as he wants.

9. PUO3

A buildup would be fun but that requires Canelo to dedicate himself to one weight class which fucks up other intriguing fights.

Kova isnt at his best, but I mean for a guy who is supposedly washed up he is still knocking the shit out of top contenders.

Im hoping that he dabbles in this one for a big fight and then focuses on SMW. If he can beat the dogs there, Canelo goes down as an ATG. There wouldnt be a thing left to criticize the guy for.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  10. Jonny Ninja

Jonny Ninja Black Belt

Yeah he gets critisised too much in general, apart from his cheating, which seems to be glossed over, just like with Fury!
    I know why he fought rocky and I know why hes fighting Kov, But I don't see why he needs to pick up random belts here and there because hes good enough to get around size advantage. I don't think it does build a great legacy if you are picking off the weaker guys in the division just to say you have a belt.

Personally I'd like to see him move to SWM right now. Take that belt away from saunders and he can claim that he is a proper SMW champ. I think he builds a better legacy consolidating the division rather than picking and choosing fights that people expect him to win. Personally I think there are a couple of SMWs that give him a much harder fight than Kov at this point (smith and benevidez). Not saying he won't beat them, but they are fights Id much rather see

PUO3 and Gambit MMA like this.
  11. george14

george14 Green Belt

Canelo has only stopped 2 fighters at MW or above....Khan and Fielding. I don't see him stopping Kovalev. Guy is a killer at LHW still. He jabs Canelo into oblivion in my eyes.

12. DeJulez

DeJulez Silver Belt

Canelo was only 21 when he beat Shane and was still growing into him self.
    Cotto after losing two straight (Mayweather, Trout) grabbed Freddie Roach, brought back the patented left hook and went on a 3 fight win streak (Rodriguez, Martinez, Geale) and then fought Canelo.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    RabbitPunch36 and PUO3 like this.
  13. PUO3

How many people was Ward stopping when he knocked the shit out of Krusher?

Mr.Maelstrom, NaughtyBoy and DeJulez like this.
  14. george14

george14 Green Belt

Ward is a full fledged SMW and LHW. He stopped the likes of Dawson. Canelo is a fantastic boxer but his power has become somewhat of a myth considering it didn't carry over to MW or SMW. He had Chavez Jr. stand in front of him for 12 rounds and couldn't put him down. Same with Jacobs. It's no knock on his ability, but his power.

Apples to oranges comparison.

15. PUO3

Ward cant punch for shit and isnt much bigger than Canelo. Ward doesnt commit to the body as much as Canelo does.

Chavez JR and Danny are both tough as nails and dont react to body shots the way Kova does.

zapataxiv likes this.
  16. spiderRico

spiderRico Purple Belt

Eledier Alvarez kind of sucks and he stopped Kovalev.

17. spiderRico

spiderRico Purple Belt

Let me guess he's also 2-0 vs ward in your opinion

zapataxiv likes this.
  18. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

Im pretty sure he is the biggest ward fan on here actually lol

19. spiderRico

spiderRico Purple Belt

well good. I think Kovalev has a really good Jab but I dont think it's the kind of Jab that troubles Canelo. because the movement after the jab isnt there and Kovalev isnt elusive for someone of canelos calibre. GGG jabbed and moved more and had success in both fights even if you had canelo winning both or 1 or none you have to know GGG had success at points with the jab.

20. Inverse

Inverse Ginger Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

This gona be good.