Canelo vs Kirkland close for May 2nd

But you have to agree that it was more or less a shit fight? Now there's a reason for it and we both understand why it Went down the way it did but nonetheless - a snoozefest.

No, I don't have to agree. As I don't think it's nearly as 'boring' as a lot of folk like to make out. And Canelo had moments of success that suggest to me that he may have froze mentally at times so much as he was struggling with Floyd's skill. I think after a few rounds then he himself didn't seem to believe he was going to win, and he was never able to really follow up when he did have moments of success. Even then, given his size, I was engaged as I thought Canelo could land a hail Mary at any time. (I thought some overrated his power, but given the size difference he still had a good shout of hurting Floyd.)

Now, Floyd/Guerrero? That's a fight where I thought Floyd could have put Guerrero away if he'd pressed more, and that it was evident within a couple of rounds that Guerrero wasn't going to hurt him.

Has nothing to do with technical though. I see what you're aiming at and that's not the Point. The Point is, Canelo was so big, all May did was avoid him. Canelo was unable to cut off the ring and get to work (if i remember correct). Now, considering Mayweather wanted to win and not get a cuncussion, of course it was a smart way to box, but in no way was it entertaining in my eyes

Yeah, except no. That's not all Mayweather did. He dictated the tempo, where the fight took place, and picked his shots.

Agree, Floyd/Guerrero was a bad fight.

No, I don't have to agree. As I don't think it's nearly as 'boring' as a lot of folk like to make out. And Canelo had moments of success that suggest to me that he may have froze mentally at times so much as he was struggling with Floyd's skill. I think after a few rounds then he himself didn't seem to believe he was going to win, and he was never able to really follow up when he did have moments of success. Even then, given his size, I was engaged as I thought Canelo could land a hail Mary at any time. (I thought some overrated his power, but given the size difference he still had a good shout of hurting Floyd.)

Now, Floyd/Guerrero? That's a fight where I thought Floyd could have put Guerrero away if he'd pressed more, and that it was evident within a couple of rounds that Guerrero wasn't going to hurt him.

Yeah, except no. That's not all Mayweather did. He dictated the tempo, where the fight took place, and picked his shots.

Now, you're suggesting (if I may read between the lines) that I criticized may. I didn't. Just the fight outcome.
I'm sorry, some pot shots as well. Made the fight very entertaining ;)

Now, you're suggesting (if I may read between the lines) that I criticized may. I didn't. Just the fight outcome.
I'm sorry, some pot shots as well. Made the fight very entertaining ;)

I'm not suggesting you criticised Mayweather - just pointing out that he did more than "just avoid Canelo". I don't really get how anyone can watch that fight and think that all he did was "avoid Canelo".

He dictated the tempo, where the fight took place, neutralised Canelo's strengths, and was able to pick and time his shots pretty much when he wanted. I mean, I can get it when folk say all Rigo does is avoid getting punched and even then I think they're not paying attention to what he's doing, but Floyd/Canelo? Nah.

kinda disappointed. kirkland is an exciting fighter, but he hasnt fought in over a year, and wasnt even in the top 10 to begin with. I would rather see canelo fight a solid top 10 guy at middleweight or jr, and i was hoping canelo would fight earlier this year too, maybe in march, i guess hes just gonna fight twice this year

I'm not suggesting you criticised Mayweather - just pointing out that he did more than "just avoid Canelo". I don't really get how anyone can watch that fight and think that all he did was "avoid Canelo".

He dictated the tempo, where the fight took place, neutralised Canelo's strengths, and was able to pick and time his shots pretty much when he wanted. I mean, I can get it when folk say all Rigo does is avoid getting punched and even then I think they're not paying attention to what he's doing, but Floyd/Canelo? Nah.

Ok, so let's say that May did dictate the tempo and all that, that you mentioned. What does that have to do with the fight being entertaining or not? And I agree that he did all what you claim he did.

Again, my reasons for criticizing the level of entertainment in that fight has nothing to do with the fighters at hand. It could have been any fighter in there. What i'm criticizing is the outcome of the fight.

Mayweather did what he had to do and he did it well. Still doesn't make it entertaining (in my eyes).

kinda disappointed. kirkland is an exciting fighter, but he hasnt fought in over a year, and wasnt even in the top 10 to begin with. I would rather see canelo fight a solid top 10 guy at middleweight or jr, and i was hoping canelo would fight earlier this year too, maybe in march, i guess hes just gonna fight twice this year

I'm not Canelo's biggest fan but to be fair he has fought Trout, Mayweather and Lara in three of his last four, and Angulo as a tune up was still a risky fight. I don't doubt that Canelo himself wants to fight big names or tough opponents, but I'm not convinced that his promoter is of the same opinion. I think part of the reason Oscar wanted the Cotto fight was that he's past his best, and it seemed a golden ticket that he had the Puerto Rican fan base and the lineal 160lbs title.

Ok, so let's say that May did dictate the tempo and all that, that you mentioned. What does that have to do with the fight being entertaining or not? And I agree that he did all what you claim he did.

Again, my reasons for criticizing the level of entertainment in that fight has nothing to do with the fighters at hand. It could have been any fighter in there. What i'm criticizing is the outcome of the fight.

Mayweather did what he had to do and he did it well. Still doesn't make it entertaining (in my eyes).

Well, you asked me to agree that it wasn't entertaining - and I don't. I'm entertained by the chess match. Seeing that entertainment is subjective, I'm not telling you that you're wrong not to find it entertaining. I was just disagreeing with the point about what Mayweather did.

To me if anyone should be crticised for the fight not being 'entertaining' then it's Canelo. Given the size difference, Floyd would have been an idiot to pursue a knockout - especially as, even now, there's nothing to suggest that Canelo can't take a punch. But even then, I think Canelo was trying to engage in a technical battle that he couldn't win, and at some stage lost confidence in himself. Maybe the event awed him more than he's admitted.

I'm not Canelo's biggest fan but to be fair he has fought Trout, Mayweather and Lara in three of his last four, and Angulo as a tune up was still a risky fight. I don't doubt that Canelo himself wants to fight big names or tough opponents, but I'm not convinced that his promoter is of the same opinion. I think part of the reason Oscar wanted the Cotto fight was that he's past his best, and it seemed a golden ticket that he had the Puerto Rican fan base and the lineal 160lbs title.

I get that,he has faced the top guys but its not like kirkland has a big name or will attract big numbers, he would do the same numbers if not more fighting a guy in the top 10 who has been active

Well, you asked me to agree that it wasn't entertaining - and I don't. I'm entertained by the chess match. Seeing that entertainment is subjective, I'm not telling you that you're wrong not to find it entertaining. I was just disagreeing with the point about what Mayweather did.

To me if anyone should be crticised for the fight not being 'entertaining' then it's Canelo. Given the size difference, Floyd would have been an idiot to pursue a knockout - especially as, even now, there's nothing to suggest that Canelo can't take a punch. But even then, I think Canelo was trying to engage in a technical battle that he couldn't win, and at some stage lost confidence in himself. Maybe the event awed him more than he's admitted.

I was using hyperbole, my bad, but you got my point I guess. And in a later post I wrote "in my eyes". I argued all along if it was entertaining. To me it wasn't much of a chess match since it takes two to play chess. The difference in skill was too big.

I agree to the fullest.

Now, I can enjoy a chess match like you, but in my eyes, this wasn't one and it wasn't explosive either, therefore - not entertaining (to me).

I get that,he has faced the top guys but its not like kirkland has a big name or will attract big numbers, he would do the same numbers if not more fighting a guy in the top 10 who has been active

Well, from HBO and GBP's promotions standpoint it's a bit different. He could fight someone who is ranked in this or that top ten - which doesn't really mean anything - with no name value and have a tricky fight, or he can face a limited Kirkland with an HBO highlight reel already. If I was GBP, I'd be looking at Kirkland. He's limited and has a suspect defense, he's known to HBO audiences and he makes for fun TV fights.

It's the sort of fight that'll appeal to the folk who watch boxing but don't follow it religiously. Especially when they're reminded of Kirkland/Angulo, and Kirkland/Ishida.

I was using hyperbole, my bad, but you got my point I guess. And in a later post I wrote "in my eyes". I argued all along if it was entertaining. To me it wasn't much of a chess match since it takes two to play chess. The difference in skill was to big.

I agree to the fullest.

Now, I can enjoy a chess match like you, but in my eyes, this wasn't one and it wasn't explosive either, therefore - not entertaining (to me).

Aye, I follow. I'm not telling you you're wrong not to find the fight entertaining.

I think often it depends on what you expect from a fight too, going in.

To be honest, canelo vs may played out exactly the way I thought it would. Canelo being too slow was key. It's a fight that got the casuals attention though and I guess it's all good.

I mean, to beat Mayweather? Size isn't the answer, that's for sure. I thought that was quite obvious going into the fight.

Personally I thought he lacked the seasoning. Look at who he fought prior to Mayweather and who he's fought since. There'a a big gulf.

Personally I thought he lacked the seasoning. Look at who he fought prior to Mayweather and who he's fought since. There'a a big gulf.

That as well. However, I've never been excited about canelo. He's solid but to use a seano word - meh

I thought it was a good fight. Floyd spent a good deal of the bout right in front of Canelo, and at times was able to walk him back. Saul did good work with his jab and downstairs. I disagree that it wasn't a technical match; if it wasn't that I'm not sure how I'd describe it. On subsequent viewings, I don't see it as a landslide for Floyd. He won, no question, but not by the huge gap I (and some others) originally thought.

That as well. However, I've never been excited about canelo. He's solid but to use a seano word - meh

I don't think Canelo's as exciting a fighter as he's made out to be, but his popularity and appeal have a lot more to do with his charisma. He doesn't seem too confident in public, but I think that adds mystique to it.

CaneloOficial @caneloOficial

"Canelo vs Kirkland is on👊 "

Cheesehead in 6.

Canelo just doesn't have the x factor of Floyd or Manny, he's solid but conservative.
The Mayweather fight was a mistake in hindsight, he got punked.

Be interesting to see a fight where he doesn't have a size advantage, Golovkin?:icon_twis

Canelo just doesn't have the x factor of Floyd or Manny, he's solid but conservative.
The Mayweather fight was a mistake in hindsight, he got punked.

Be interesting to see a fight where he doesn't have a size advantage, Golovkin?:icon_twis

yesjacknicholson.gif

Him and Kirkland should be fireworks but it could look like Houston vs kimbo if both guys are timid. Kirkland hasn't fought in almost how long? 2 years maybe

Back