Rumored Canelo vs John Ryder in September

It will be a decent fight and I’m happy to see Ryder get a decent payday. I hope the guys who turned down the fight because they couldn’t see themselves fighting for less than $8million never get within sniffing distance of Canelo again.

Nice to see Ryder get a payday after getting three genuinely bad cards against Smith, I guess. Maybe not the most exciting fight out there, but not an unreasonable decision for the first fight back after the break for Canelo.

Nice to see Ryder get a payday after getting three genuinely bad cards against Smith, I guess. Maybe not the most exciting fight out there, but not an unreasonable decision for the first fight back after the break for Canelo.

Smith and BJS have both turned the fight down for various reasons; this is probably as good as we can expect to get a 168 for now. Unless those two are willing to accept they don't bring the same things to the table that Golovkin did, Canelo's best move for the future might be a return to 160. Derevyanchenko, Andrade, Charlo, another Golovkin fight are all interesting - Derry & Golovkin can probably be made pretty easily. He needs to treat 175 like Floyd/Manny treated 154 - very carefully. He looked comically small against Kovalev.

This guy lost to Rocky Fielding a few years ago-- didn't he? *shrug*

This shit is bad for Boxing. Bad for DAZN. I don't give a shit who's fault it is... it's a bad fight and bad for the sport.

Smith and BJS have both turned the fight down for various reasons; this is probably as good as we can expect to get a 168 for now. Unless those two are willing to accept they don't bring the same things to the table that Golovkin did, Canelo's best move for the future might be a return to 160. Derevyanchenko, Andrade, Charlo, another Golovkin fight are all interesting - Derry & Golovkin can probably be made pretty easily. He needs to treat 175 like Floyd/Manny treated 154 - very carefully. He looked comically small against Kovalev.

I agree. Canelo is fairly average sized MW. Unless he's tacked on a bunch of mass that he has trouble getting off, he should be able to comfortably make MW. LHW is always going to be a bridge too far for him against the best of the best, I think. He'd be absolutely dwarfed by a guy like Beterbiev.

This guy lost to Rocky Fielding a few years ago-- didn't he? *shrug*

This shit is bad for Boxing. Bad for DAZN. I don't give a shit who's fault it is... it's a bad fight and bad for the sport.

In the minds of most people he just beat the guy who is #1 at 168 on essentially every major ranking. Is that irrelevant? It's hardly an incredible fight on paper, but from a competitive perspective Ryder has every right to be counted at the very top of the SMW division.

I doubt DAZN paid that kind of money to get Canelo-Ryder, but it’s hard not to be glad for Ryder.

You gotta figure he wasn't going to fight 11 elite fighters in row, but yeah, I'm sure the bean counters at DAZN start sweating hard when they hear names like Ryder and Fielding.

John Ryder... Sheet, could be a tag with Zack Ryder. Dude is getting smoked.

39296.jpg

You gotta figure he wasn't going to fight 11 elite fighters in row, but yeah, I'm sure the bean counters at DAZN start sweating hard when they hear names like Ryder and Fielding.
DAZN has final say on opponent per contract, DAZN could tell them to do better, but without an audience this may be the best they can do

DAZN has final say on opponent per contract, DAZN could tell them to do better, but without an audience this may be the best they can do

There a source on that? I don't know the gritty details of that contract, outside of 11 fights for $350 over 5 years.

In the minds of most people he just beat the guy who is #1 at 168 on essentially every major ranking. Is that irrelevant? It's hardly an incredible fight on paper, but from a competitive perspective Ryder has every right to be counted at the very top of the SMW division.

Eh. Nobody cares about who deserves what or who has a right. Canelo is fighting this guy on Mexican Independence day... That's weak. This isn't like
Derevyanchenko, who has 2 white knuckle decision losses to top guys at 160/168 and no other blemishes. Ryder has a bunch of losses to his name, including a stoppage loss and a loss to Saunders iirc. Unless Canelo takes Ryder as lightly as Callum Smith did he should pummel Ryder to a stoppage. Look-- it's his right but he's not gonna fool me.Canelo gets zero leverage over Smith, Saunders or bragging rights at 168 by stopping Ryder.

Ryder does nothing for Alvarez other than give him a winnable stay busy fight that he can spin to casuals as legitimizing his 168 belt. Nope. I'm not buying.

Eh. Nobody cares about who deserves what or who has a right. Canelo is fighting this guy on Mexican Independence day... That's weak. This isn't like
Derevyanchenko, who has 2 white knuckle decision losses to top guys at 160/168 and no other blemishes. Ryder has a bunch of losses to his name, including a stoppage loss and a loss to Saunders iirc. Unless Canelo takes Ryder as lightly as Callum Smith did he should pummel Ryder to a stoppage. Look-- it's his right but he's not gonna fool me.Canelo gets zero leverage over Smith, Saunders or bragging rights at 168 by stopping Ryder.

Ryder does nothing for Alvarez other than give him a winnable stay busy fight that he can spin to casuals as legitimizing his 168 belt. Nope. I'm not buying.

I've said it's hardly ideal or a particularly sexy fight, but I don't really know how this is particularly bad for the sport. From a purely sporting perspective it's kind of good as a guy without anything resembling a name who got a shit deal on the cards (and the recognition of beating the #1 guy in a division) still gets rewarded. Again, not particularly exciting, but hardly calamitous for boxing.

It also does definitely give him leverage over Smith beating down a guy who most think Smith lost to (insofar as leverage between the two really matters as Canelo easily has the upper hand in any negotiation, regardless).

There a source on that? I don't know the gritty details of that contract, outside of 11 fights for $350 over 5 years.

I don't believe DAZN have final say on his opponents as i remember reading that it wasn't negotiated for in Canelo's contract... so unless i'm mistaking he's got them by the 'you know what's.' Not that it does his brand any good to be fighting a nothingburger of a fight. The 64 thousand dollar question is, how much of Canelo's money is guaranteed? How much does he stand to lose if DAZN goes belly up?

I've said it's hardly ideal or a particularly sexy fight, but I don't really know how this is particularly bad for the sport. From a purely sporting perspective it's kind of good as a guy without anything resembling a name who got a shit deal on the cards (and the recognition of beating the #1 guy in a division) still gets rewarded. Again, not particularly exciting, but hardly calamitous for boxing.

It also does definitely give him leverage over Smith beating down a guy who most think Smith lost to (insofar as leverage between the two really matters as Canelo easily has the upper hand in any negotiation, regardless).

So the point is what? Canelo fights this guy and is then on the shelf until Cinco De Mayo 2021? It's a nothing fight resume wise and does nothing to sort out the picture at 160/168/175. Canelo is in his physical prime. this fight, this whole year, is a waste. But yeah-- a nice payday and exposure for Ryder, because that's what's most important here (now i'll delete my f'ing account if he beats Canelo, full stop).

So the point is what? Canelo fights this guy and is then on the shelf until Cinco De Mayo 2021? It's a nothing fight resume wise and does nothing to sort out the picture at 160/168/175. Canelo is in his physical prime. this fight, this whole year, is a waste. But yeah-- a nice payday and exposure for Ryder, because that's what's most important here (now i'll delete my f'ing account if he beats Canelo, full stop).
Maybe you should go cry to the fighters who wont get in the ring with Canelo and turned the fights down.

Not sure if his critics have noticed or not but Canelo is fighting all comers.

Back