Canelo vs Jacobs buildup ?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Jinx_AA, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jinx_AA

Jinx_AA Brown Belt

Hey guys ...just wondering what's everyone's opinion on canelo vs Jacobs in less then a month ?!?

Besides a canelo vs GGG trilogy , this us the best fight possible in the division .

Heavy hitting champ vs heavy hitting champ , both with razor tight controversial fights with GGG.

Jacobs is a super live dog .... Obviously it seems like you gotta k Ock out canelo to beat him , and he has an iron chin ... But this fight is crazy close !

It's an amazing fight and I've heard no hype / builduo or promotion ....

What's everyone's take ? This is a sick fight ... A very dangerous fight and a very winnable fight for Jacobs

Surprised DAZN isn't promoting it more ?

Yourstepdad likes this.
  2. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Free RR! Belt

Jacobs did very well against GGG.

definitely a live Dog...

but I have Canelo via 8th round TKO

3. Jinx_AA

Jinx_AA Brown Belt

Loyal diehard fans know this is a great fight ... But are casuals even aware ?.... Are people buying this fight ? .... It's way better then Spence Garcia .... Better then Pacman .... Yet no promotion that I've seen ... No threads here that I've seen

Are people not pumped ?

This is a crazy fight to me ... And I think Jacobs size and skill is being over looked
    .. if he's an underdog I'd pick him ...I thought he was a draw vs GGG .... And people think GGG beat canelo .... So Jacobs is definitely in it to win it ..... This is a fight fans fight !

4. ArtemV

ArtemV Gold Belt

Canelo by late tko, this fight as a 8/10. Really great fight.

5. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

Yeah I dont really see the build up which is a shame

This fight has all the makings of a classic

6. ccm22

ccm22 Green Belt

They seem to be promoting it on their boxing and mma broadcasts, but I don’t know what they are doing outside DAZN to get the word out. I’m worried the biggest star in boxing might be disappearing into a streaming service black hole.

7. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Its really weird not seeing this fight everywhere.

8. CobraCmndr6193

CobraCmndr6193 Purple Belt

This fight is the best kept secret in combat sports. Looks like the undercard is going to be decent (Vergil Ortiz, David Lemieux, etc). I'm really hoping for DAZN to succeed, and they need a big night here to increase their public profile.

9. DeJulez

DeJulez Yellow Card Yellow Card

Canelo can't be fucked with and Jacobs seems to be a guy who;s gonna plod through this era as a forgotton talent that had the goods but didin't have that IT factor to put him over.
    He'll will be remembered as the guy who maybe almost beat GGG.

But I have Canelo by devasting KO.
    Something in the air that makes me think that Canelo ends this by the 8th round

10. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Belt

I like DAZN, but the way they are hemorraging money with no great promotion to take advantage of this major asset.

11. kimocomplex

kimocomplex Red Belt

Canelo has had some high profile fights
    Mayweather, GGG, Chavez Jr. GGG 2,

Kinda hard to get too excited for this one

Kung Fu Tze likes this.
  12. KAZSoliloquy

KAZSoliloquy 10/10 on Pitchfork

jacobs’ chin is such a question mark. took hard shots from GGG and walked through quillin but mora hurt him bad and pirog slept him with one shot. i’d guess he probably can’t take canelo’s punches but i said the same thing going into the golovkin fight so we’ll see what happens. one of the better fights of the year.

13. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

It's hard to get excited for one of the best matchups of any division currently?

14. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Weird. If you don’t build up the best fight we may have this year, you don’t build up any fight.

We all know Canelo’s current level and shape. This one is all on Jacobs. He can be overwhelmed if he isn’t 100% but since he rose to the occasion against GGG I think he’ll be as good as he can possibly be.

Staying in front of Canelo is bound to fail but Jacobs has the legs and reach to stick and move successfully. This will be closer than people may think.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Shoemaker and Kung Fu Tze like this.
  15. Shoemaker

Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    Canelo has improved a lot in the past few years, but I think this fight is closer than some. Canelo doesn’t look good against boxers who keep their range. Floyd, Lara and Trout all come to mind (though that’s a really weird fight that open scoring ruined).

Guys who knock down Jacobs do it by pressuring him. Canelo might be able to do it - he showed he has good skills moving forward in the second Golovkin fight. But Golovkin and Pirog used footwork to get Jacobs feet mixed up. Canelo doesn’t really do that.

I think Canelo wins but by close decision. Round or two.

xavion and Hagler like this.
  16. Michael LDN

Michael LDN Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Jacobs shocks the world, or gets robbed in points
    I don’t see Canelo outboxing it stopping Jacobs

17. nastyleft

nastyleft Brown Belt

It doesnt really matter because DAZN is a paid subscription channel that has already been paid for by the subscribers. The fighters already have guaranteed money there's no reliance on PPV anymore to get numbers up. Maybe advertise to get more subscriptions by pumping the fight but I guess their pockets are deep enough to not bother spending on a lot of promotion. Don't forget guys marketing and buying advertising time on network channels costs a shit ton of money.

Marc A likes this.
  18. Gambit MMA

Gambit MMA Silver Belt

pulling for daniel.....think canelo will ultimately win this tho

19. CatchnShoot

CatchnShoot Black Belt

More subs, especially the one month Variety to capture as much $ as they can from the card.

20. JudoJabs

JudoJabs White Belt

It's why DAZN is just not the place to be right now. They have no avenue of marketing...outside of online, yet their social media presence is severely lacking as well.

If this was on FOX it would be shoved down everyone's throats. Look at the buildup Spence vs Garcia got and how much that sold (first time PPV for both and it did well)

Spence/Garcia had.....5x weekends straight of Press Conferences, Face to Face and Fight Camp/Countdown shows..on the main FOX channel, and then countless replays on FS1. Not to mention the commercials on the main FOX.

Even ESPN is somewhat lacking with the Crawford/Khan build up...although they are coming out with a Countdown show very soon.

At the end of the day...I like fights like Jacobs/Canelo to be on a more mainstream platform (FOX, Showtime, ESPN etc). Having a fight of this magnitude on DAZN just feels like an underground/backwards move...especially with the momentum boxing has picked up over the last 2-3 years.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Marc A and nastyleft like this.