World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

Marcos Villegas (Fight Hub TV): 114-114 draw

Michelle Rosado (Raging Babe): 115-113 Canelo

Michelle Joy Phelps (Behind the Gloves): 115-113 Golovkin

Lennox Lewis: Golovkin won by 2 rounds

Fight Nights: 115-113 Golovkin

Michael Woods (NYFights.com): two point edge for Golovkin

Dieter Kurtenbach (San Jose Mercury News and the East Bay Times): Golovkin won by 3 rounds

Rafael G (the Fight City): 116-112 Golovkin

34 for GGG, 2 for Canelo, 15 for Draw

average fan scorecard (1773 fans): 116-113 Golovkin

Pinched from reddit..

Anyone with a brain knows GGG won.,

Well it's not rocket science. No knockdowns and neither guy was seriously hurt so punches landed is the criteria. Both guys landed massive punches and both did damage. But Golovkin's jab and volume made the difference. Canelo lost plenty of rounds due to overexerting in the first 60 seconds of the round and than missing shit in the last minute or two.

Canelo won.

YDKSAB.

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Stephen A. Smith (ESPN): Golovkin won

Arash Markazi (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Brett Okamoto (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Teddy Atlas - Golovkin won

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Eduardo Lamazón (Televisa): 116-112 Golovkin

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

BoxingScene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Douglass Fischer (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Mike Baca II (Ring Magazine and Undisputed Champion Network): 115-113 Golovkin

Al Bernstein (Showtime Sports): Golovkin won

Sherdog.com: 116-112 Golovkin

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

Anton Tabuena (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Adam Caparell (Complex Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Andreas Hale (Sporting News): Golovkin won

Graham Houston (Boxing Monthly): Canelo won

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Gary Melo (SportsNet Canada): Golovkin won

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

Marcos Villegas (Fight Hub TV): 114-114 draw

Michelle Rosado (Raging Babe): 115-113 Canelo

Michelle Joy Phelps (Behind the Gloves): 115-113 Golovkin

Lennox Lewis: Golovkin won by 2 rounds

Fight Nights: 115-113 Golovkin

Michael Woods (NYFights.com): two point edge for Golovkin

Dieter Kurtenbach (San Jose Mercury News and the East Bay Times): Golovkin won by 3 rounds

Rafael G (the Fight City): 116-112 Golovkin

34 for GGG, 2 for Canelo, 15 for Draw

average fan scorecard (1773 fans): 116-113 Golovkin

Pinched from reddit..
the one that matters

Everyone knows that. This is just more evidence that shitty judging affects combat sports.
Exactly. Because butt hurt fans score the fight for their favorites regardless of what actually is happening in the fight then go on year long social media tantrums about it.

People need to learn to score a fight and stop calling every close decision a robbery.

On Sept 15th, 2018 Canelo Alvarez defeated GGG.

Source: what actually happened.

Canelo won.

YDKSAB.
I don't know shit about boxing? lol. Stop being bitter.

I'm just posting the media scorecards because they are overwhelmingly in favour of GGG whilst Canelo got the decision - hence it's an interesting post.

At the end of the day, to say that all these people are uneducated and don't know what they're looking for is absurdly incorrect.

I don't know shit about boxing? lol. Stop being bitter.

I'm just posting the media scorecards because they are overwhelmingly in favour of GGG whilst Canelo got the decision - hence it's an interesting post.

At the end of the day, to say that all these people are uneducated and don't know what they're looking for is absurdly incorrect.
I'd prefer to hear why people thought Golovkin (or Canelo) won, not throw it in my face that Dan Rafael though Golovkin won over and over and over again. I guarantee I see that list at least 100 times over the next week.

I'd prefer to hear why people thought Golovkin (or Canelo) won, not throw it in my face that Dan Rafael though Golovkin won over and over and over again. I guarantee I see that list at least 100 times over the next week.

I'm just posting that the majority of the media thought GGG won. It means more than my or your opinion - it's essentially the publics general opinion, condensed.

or untrained fans and media show how subjective it is

That's exactly the point though.
It's to the detriment of most combat sports that scoring is so subjective that we are often left with unclear winners.
You can watch for enjoyment but it's still disappointing that after 40 minutes of fighting your thoughts on who won are essentially worthless because 3 judges may have seen it completely differently.

Exactly. Because butt hurt fans score the fight for their favorites regardless of what actually is happening in the fight then go on year long social media tantrums about it.

People need to learn to score a fight and stop calling every close decision a robbery.

I don't get this. Canelo is clearly the one that's being pushed more, has the support of the latino fans and is the more popular fighter overall. He had the more powerful backing and a more biased commentary in his favor, so it begs the question why was there such a lopsided opinion on GGG winning again, both from professional fighters/analysts, not simply "butt hurt fans."

The fight scores were nothing outrageous and perfectly reasonable scorecards, however this seems to happen constantly. Canelo simply cannot lose a close decision to anyone. It has happened in the Trout, Lara, GGG1 and now GGG2 fights, and even in making the Mayweather fight way closer than it seems. How in the hell does one card (excluding last night's) always seem to leave a bad taste in your mouth?

So far there is the 118-109 Canelo over Trout (???), then we have 117-110 Canelo over Lara, then there is both the 114-114 and even the 112-116 vs. Mayweather. And of course Byrd's infamous 118-110 over GGG.

Last edited:
They all know Canelo controlled the fight counter punched the hell out of GGG and made him miss, the only thing GGG was doing better was jabs, Canelo even did more body work then GGG.

Punch stats even tell you Canelo landed more power punches, and more body shots, but GGG landed more jabs and where i am from, someone doesn't win a fight landing less power punches and body shots, but only landing more jabs.

Also like everyone had seen, GGG didn't want to fight Mexican style and kept moving backwards and shackling his head after getting rocked, while Canelo was moving forward and backing GGG up.

They see what they want to see because it's a close fight maybe 2 round sway either way to most because fans want to give GGG the benefit of doubt, so they take advantage of this and claim GGG got robbed when the fight wasn't close and I had GGG only winning 4 rounds 8-rounds to 4 rounds Canelo.

But maybe some rounds could've went both ways and the better jabbing in certain rounds gave GGG more rounds, like the judges 115 to 113 Canelo and then certain fans saw it a draw.

But this fight was great but GGG lost and Canelo actually fought him not backing up and traded while GGG was gassing and looking worried as hell.

Canelo won rather easily, but could've shut him out with more body punches and jabs, the jabs made the fight seen closer then everyone thought.

These people are watching a fight live with distractions, like loud noise and people standing up and walking bye judging a fight that could've been a draw or two points either way and this depends on what punches you thought landing while 30,000 or more people screem drunk and failing all over the place and you have ropes blocking your view.

Everyone should be watching fights on close up Tvs with 100% viewing capabilities and then judge fights.

Then everyone ask people who had seen the fight live and drunk in the blood seats and they can't see crap because everyone is on the phone or standing up blocking everyones View, while that night when everyone is drunk GGG won, then they sober up and Canelo won or it's a draw.

Everyone is giving GGG the benefit of doubt because he's champion and getting old, while Canelo is young and has time to be champion, so a easy fight to score they either make it a draw or 2 point win either way.

When Canelo made GGG miss and pay and landed more power punches and body shots, where i am from, that fighter wins the fight and fighters don't win fights just landing more jabs because power body and head shots count more because they do more damage and are more effective.

Last edited:

wait, i thought nobody knew who golovkin was and canelo was the a-side and the fan favorite?

This I agree with. The judging system does bring a lot of negative attention post results too.
I've learned not to take my fandom of most combat sports too seriously because the judging is flawed. I can enjoy the spectacle still but what's the point in getting invested in it?

I had GGG, too, but every one of those rounds was as close to even as you could get. So no surprise that there’s some disagreement this morning.

It amused me to read the Lennox Lewis is apparently an untrained observer. And the implication that while fans are “untrained”, judges are trained and know what they’re doing. I’d really like to know what the training for a boxing judge entails. Does anyone know. Is the average judge more or less trained than, say, Jim Lampley?

Back