Canelo vs Cotto in May?

Where did you hear this from? I haven't heard anything, but if true, then that's a good retirement fight for Cotto.

This is a fight i'd definitely love to see happen.

god I hope not. Seriously Cotto is past his prime and is Canelo ever going to fight actual 154 pounders?

This fight makes sense, Cotto's still a big name and could be a big win for Canelo, a big fight for Cotto and a good fighter for Cotto to lose to before going out.

keep ducking trout.

wont be a canelo fan till he fights a solid opponent who isnt past his prime or outweighed

WBC 154-pound champion Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (41-0-1, 30KOs) is looking forward to his next fight, which takes place on May 4th. Canelo is slated to defend his title in the pay-per-view co-feature to Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s return at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mayweather's opponent appears to WBC interim-welterweight champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero.

Canelo appeared to be close to a possible fight with three division king Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30KOs), but the Puerto Rican star has now lost his last two contests. Cotto was beaten by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May and then lost a decision to WBA "regular" 154-pound champ Austin Trout on December 1.

"A fight against Cotto has lost some value, [with Cotto] coming off two defeats. If he wins a fight, then we can talk, but I will probably look for someone else in May," Canelo said.

There is now talk that Canelo could face the man who beat Cotto - Austin Trout. He also beat Canelo's older brother, Rigoberto Alvarez in 2011. Canelo hopes to get the opportunity to fight Mayweather at some point in 2013.

"Trout is a great fighter, he is undefeated, he is a world champion, he's very strong and it would be nice to fight him," Canelo said.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=60835

Back