Canelo vs Chavez Jr in talks. BREAKING: Canelo signed the contract, waiting on Chavez Jr

It seemed like it at first but since they cut off negotiations and put the fight off for a year it seems more like a duck. Hope they actually negotiate and meet somewhere in the middle by September.

At this point I think they are negotiating in bad faith (at least they were, I think the fight will eventually happen, but I don't think they were intent on it happening this year unless they could absolutely fleece Golovkin in negotiations). Still, I think the weight was just part of the dynamic of that specific negotiation and should probably be looked at it in that context (it's been obvious for a long time that Canelo is big enough to be campaigning as a full-fledged MW).

I don't mind this type of tuneup it's just this will make it a long string of tuneups without a meaningfulfight.
I mean I'm against seeing Chavez fighting again at this point. He doesn't deserve big fights and he's clearly shot. Canelo should at least be targeting a relevant fighter at 154/160/168, not a has-been who never really was.

Really??

The ducking of GGG from Canelita is getting obnoxious. That being said that ppv will draw a lot of money for the mexican audience and i'm not so sure if junior can make the weight and on top of that beat Canelita.

But that would be fun to watch.

I don't know why so many people are surprised. We have known for months that Canelo wasn't fighting GGG this May. He was always taking a different fight and this makes sense for a lot of reasons. It's lot of money and it's a lot of exposure which will carry over when he does fight Golovkin.

This is better than him fighting a MW we need to look up on BoxRec to see who they are.

I don't know why so many people are surprised. We have known for months that Canelo wasn't fighting GGG this May. He was always taking a different fight and this makes sense for a lot of reasons. It's lot of money and it's a lot of exposure which will carry over when he does fight Golovkin.

This is better than him fighting a MW we need to look up on BoxRec to see who they are.

Would you know who Jr was if his father wasn't JCC?

Well yeah considering he's fought people I know. I'm just saying if the goal is to hype up a fight with Golovkin I think this makes sense. He's a known name and for that weekend it will be huge for Mexicans. We all knew he was fighting someone else this May and it could be a lot worse than this.

For all of JCC jr.'s flaws, it's not like he's a complete and utter product of hype as a fighter. I mean, people care about him because of who his father is and he was in large part a product of hype, but he does have wins against semi-top MWs (Lee and Rubio).

At getting his ass beat.
Chavez will get his shots in. I think its an interesting fight actually. I liked how Chavez looked the other night. If he shows up ready to fight and in shape I think it could be a war. Canelo will probably land some powerful combos on chavez but I think your going to be surprised at how well Chavez takes them and comes back

For all of JCC jr.'s flaws, it's not like he's a complete and utter product of hype as a fighter. I mean, people care about him because of who his father is and he was in large part a product of hype, but he does have wins against semi-top MWs (Lee and Rubio).
This. Chavez is a lazy piece of shit. But he is talented and whens hes actually in shape I have seen him have good performances before. Andy Lee is no slouch. Rubio is no slouch. I like this fight man. Im telling you guys. my spidey senses are tingling that its going to be a war

Man is this a reliable source? If so, you gotta be joking! some canela fan boy got me a card for calling him what he is, so I'm going to be careful with my words. What's surprising here is that the same people who shit on may and pac for all the catchweights and the ducking, are supporting this fight. There's no need to "marinate" the ggg fight, the hype is there any outcome a rematch can be done. Does this kid wants to carry boxing as the next superstar? Stop fucking ducking ggg, Chavez Jr is bum level right now. His greatest achievement was rocking sexy in a fight he was weighting much more and still got washed. How embarrassing, I will never stream it or even watch later on you tube.

It will be total war until Chavez quits late. At 165 Chavez has all the tools to compete with Canyellow but he doesn't have the heart.

This. Chavez is a lazy piece of shit. But he is talented and whens hes actually in shape I have seen him have good performances before. Andy Lee is no slouch. Rubio is no slouch. I like this fight man. Im telling you guys. my spidey senses are tingling that its going to be a war
Yeah they are no slouches but they aren't on Canelo's level or close to it.
Plus im sick of the killers and champions at 154 & 160 getting passed up. Too many better fights that actually prove or mean something.

Yeah they are no slouches but they aren't on Canelo's level or close to it.
Plus im sick of the killers and champions at 154 & 160 getting passed up. Too many better fights that actually prove or mean something.
Meh. i know that we all want him to fight ggg, and i do as well. But I also think he should fight a big mw ( or smw in this case) before GGG. Needs to get used to the fact that he wont be the bigger man against GGG. Plus i think Jr has something to prove and will bring it. Good fight imo

I wonder who the people that are hating this fight thought Canelo was going to fight in May. I was expecting a SWW moving up with him or a crappy MW so this isn't so bad.

Meh. i know that we all want him to fight ggg, and i do as well. But I also think he should fight a big mw ( or smw in this case) before GGG. Needs to get used to the fact that he wont be the bigger man against GGG. Plus i think Jr has something to prove and will bring it. Good fight imo
Its not really that hes not fighting GGG. Its that hes not fighting the other best 154 and 160s on top of avoiding GGG

I like this fight. I know it may not make sense to some but I'm interested in seeing it. If Chavez does show up with the best version of himself that he can muster he will be entertaining for at least a bit, but his suspect motivation is always a pitfall.

I suspect they use this fight to see how Alvarez handles the added weight and punching from a bigger guy and then go from there in the negotiations against GGG in the fall.

Back