Canelo trying to bait Floyd off the ropes

Yeah that didn't work out very well. Floyd is too smart for that.

He basically threw rounds in the garbage that way.

I will say, at least Canelo tried to vary his strategy here and there. Just too much to go from Trout to Floyd.

Golden Boy made a mistake pushing Canelo into that fight. We all knew he wasn't ready.

I will say, at least Canelo tried to vary his strategy here and there. Just too much to go from Trout to Floyd.

Golden Boy made a mistake pushing Canelo into that fight. We all knew he wasn't ready.

Was it really a mistake? They made an shit ton of money. Canelo didn't really stand to lose anything. He wasn't getting banged up or KO'ed. And his loss was to one of the alleged greatest fighters of our era. Seems more like a win to me.

Last edited:
Was it really a mistake? They made an shit ton of money. Canelo didn't really stand to lose anything. He wasn't getting banged up or KO'ed. And his loss was to one of the alleged greatest fighters of our era. Seems more like a win to me.

I just checked boxrec, it says Canelo lost.

Seriously, I think it would have been good for Canelo's career if he'd made the fight more competitive. A loss like that could be a real confidence crumbler for Canelo.

Some thought it was close but you could see on Canelo's face at the end of the fight, he knew he'd lost that fight. He was in great shape, coming off of his best win, has never been beat up in the ring and just got schooled by a smaller, older fighter.

Seriously, I think it would have been good for Canelo's career if he'd made the fight more competitive. A loss like that could be a real confidence crumbler for Canelo.

Some thought it was close but you could see on Canelo's face at the end of the fight, he knew he'd lost that fight. He was in great shape, coming off of his best win, has never been beat up in the ring and just got schooled by a smaller, older fighter.

Yeah but in the end, boxing's a business. He made at least a good 10 mil and he came out of the fight none the worse for the wear. He's probably taken more knocks in a hard sparring session. He might have a loss on his record, but it's to Mayweather. I don't think it's hurting his marketability. As for confidence, let him starch a few lower tier fighters and i think his confidence will come back to him, that plus the fans who like to see him smash on people. Fans are fickle, they see him crack a few heads and they'll just as soon be back cheering him on and screaming for blood with a new vigor.

who also happens to be the best boxer right now

Yeah, it would have been better if he had won (obviously), but he's still marketable, young and talented. He'll have a bright future.

The only thing I worry about is that this'll crush him emotionally and send him on the downward spiral that happens to so many contenders once they've lost their title fight.

Top grossing fight of all time. Doubtful they rethinking that one. A lose to Money at 23 is hardly a career killer also IMO.

Myself, and everyone I know, don't view Alvarez as any less of a fighter for losing this fight. It *might* do a number on his confidence, but that's for time to tell. As it stands, the L on his record against Floyd doesn't hurt his popularity, at least not from where I'm sitting.

A few people around have been talking about how we learn more about a fighter from their losses and subsequent comebacks than we do from wins (I don't agree with that generally, but it has been said). IMO Canelo's stock is perfectly safe, depending on how he looks in his return.

I'll bet a lot of casual fans, especially Mexicans are incredibly disappointed with Canelo right now. Someone mentioned this was the highest grossing PPv or something- Yeah, guess how many of those people only tuned in because Floyd was "facing his toughest test." We all know that the casuals thought it was a shit event because Floyd didn't get his ass kicked.

just like Ricky Hatton when he lost twice in a row to the #1 and #2 fighters in the world, Critics said he was washed up and old. too bad he believed them and never really had the heart anymore.

I hope Canelo recovers from this loss. The kid is only 23, it'd be a shame if he goes in a downward spiral into depression

just like Ricky Hatton when he lost twice in a row to the #1 and #2 fighters in the world, Critics said he was washed up and old. too bad he believed them and never really had the heart anymore.

I hope Canelo recovers from this loss. The kid is only 23, it'd be a shame if he goes in a downward spiral into depression

And Pavlik. Both hit the wall hard.

I'll bet a lot of casual fans, especially Mexicans are incredibly disappointed with Canelo right now. Someone mentioned this was the highest grossing PPv or something- Yeah, guess how many of those people only tuned in because Floyd was "facing his toughest test." We all know that the casuals thought it was a shit event because Floyd didn't get his ass kicked.

He is basically a meme right now.

I'm glad to hear someone else say this. I was never a Hatton fan, but it pissed me off that he was just cast aside after those two very understandable losses.

sure he lost, nobody is going to hold it against him that he lost to a hof fighter

i dont see anybody else out there who can beat him, what about you?

sure he lost, nobody is going to hold it against him that he lost to a hof fighter

i dont see anybody else out there who can beat him, what about you?

He loses to Martinez if he tries to step up to his correct weight class. He could possibly lose to Trout in a rematch. Canelo isn't special.

I'll bet a lot of casual fans, especially Mexicans are incredibly disappointed with Canelo right now..

Speaking anecdotally, I didn't see any discrepancy in the amount of Mexican fans in Las Vegas wearing "Canelo" headbands before or after the fight. For what I could see, they stuck with their man even in defeat.

it sucks for canelo,the sky was the limit before this fight.

Back