News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

I mean, what more can I say?

The worst champion at CW is obviously Makabu. He got knocked out by Tony Bellew, which is embarrassing, and he's only 6'0 tall. He's even shorter than Caleb Plant.

I guess if it's not fighting mandatories at 168, the next best thing is to go belt hunting against the weakest champions. He's not the first person to do this, but he shouldn't be getting credit for it either.
It looks like a cherry picked fight but the size difference at least makes it more interesting.

Its history hes chasing. 5 Weight Champ, first from Mexico to do it, 2nd of Mexican ancestry to do it and the 6th in history to do it, I believe.
Technically titlist though. Can he really be considered LHW or CW champ if he wins this fight?

GGG or Jacobs rematches seem to be more meaningful but this isn't a bad fight if it's just a gimme before a big fight.
Its a history making move. He pulls it off and hes a 5 Division Weight Champion.
Theres only been 5 of those in history.
Also make those other guys fight each other. People name about 7 guys theyd like Canelo to face and each one of them are fucking lingering around just waiting. How bout they fight each other.

Benavidez more of challenge and accomplishment??

I think this smells of the situation floyd faced, where everyone Canelo doesn't fight becomes this superhuman titan and then after Canelo evenually beats them, a new excuse forms and a new great white hope emerges
There's drama with a fight with Charlo, Benavidez, Beterbiev or Bivol, cause those guys actually have names and these fights have been discussed. Nobody knows who this african guy is. I had to look up footage of him and he's underwhelming as fuck. I'm pretty sure Benavidez who is slightly taller, much more athletic and skilled would wash this dude, I mean look at him

Technically titlist though. Can he really be considered LHW or CW champ if he wins this fight?
Kovalev was ranked #2 in the world at that weight at the time
Makabu is ranked #2 in the world at Cruiserweight. Both had world championships.
Its legit as it can get.

I used to make jokes about Canelo moving up to heavyweight and winning a title. They're not jokes anymore.

Also all you cans degrading canelo for moving up to cruiserweight DKSAB. Same thing Pacquiao and RJJ did but people lauded them for it.
Moving up to 200 God damn pounds is gangster shit no matter how you cut it.
Do you really give him a chance, or even think he signs, against Usyk or Fury?

The guy is obviously special but his place in history will be determined by the quality of his opposition. Catchweight and other novelty type fights will sell PPVs but if he losses this type of fight it will be a big drawback.

Pacquiao fighting Margarito was a good test and adds to his legacy but Jones didn't get a whole lot of credit for beating Ruiz. A great big man beats a great small man. A great small fighter can beat a good or mediocre bigger fighter especially if he's slow.

Guy is doing incredible things and these boobs are going "He didnt fight my boogeyman of the week tho"
Doesn't this seem like an out there fight when he can fight Benavidez or the LHW titlists?

Lmao this dude is fighting waaaaaaay out of his league in size and yall are still crying. Same posters who praised other fighters for doing the same thing.
Would you rather see this fight or Benavidez or a LHW champ?

Those Same posters shitted on Mikey Garcia for moving up and fighting Spence instead of fighting Loma.
Wasn't that a monumentally bad decision? This isn't Canelo moving to 190 pounds to fight Holyfield at CW in '87.

Doesn't this seem like an out there fight when he can fight Benavidez or the LHW titlists?
Its a history making fight.
He would join Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather, and Manny Pacquiao on the list for fighters who won World Championships in 5 divisions.
I think thats a bigger achievement than beating Benavidez.

Meh,not a great fight but so long as he follows it up with someone tough, I don't have an issue.
He won't, LMAO. The next weakest opponent that somehow stumbled upon a belt on his way home is who he's gonna fight.

Fighting guys who actually can beat him is 'incredible'.

Carefully picking the weakest champion in the division to just snatch the title from him and then not fight again in the division is cherry picking.

This is the story of this guy's career. His resume looms good on paper. But then when you actually look into it you see the clear picture. The real picture.

There are at least 3 fighters in divisions under CW who actually can beat him and should get their shot.

But, Canelo is too busy 'doing incredible things' to actually fight a legitimate threat.
Gave you the like. A real "superior male" would wax that chest though. {<shrug}

It's an intriguing fight, I'm surprised there are people here acting like it's a given that Canelo is going to win considering the big weight differential
It's not a bad fight after unifying. It's just grabbing a low hanging fruit To claim CW Champion status after this is questionable.

190 lbs would be absolutely bullshit as the other 3 orgs would still keep cruiserweight at 200 and they dont even recognized bridgerweight. I get 190lbs used to be the limit before 2004, but all 4 agreed to move it to 200lbs. and the WBO became the 4th official body then too

It is when there are better fighters available.

You guys crack me up. You really don't see what Canelo and his team are doing? You really think what he's doing is chasing greatness? Lmfao
True. We do need to wait to see who his next opponents are. If this is a gimme fight and he starts to unify the LHW titles next year we can't complain much.

Back