News Canelo to fight at cruiserweight!!

Canelo isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before, so there shouldn't be much controversy there. I think he may have cemented his place as the best fighter of this current boxing era and now it's about adding accolades to his legacy. Plenty of other fighters have done it and there is always an element of danger when facing someone that much bigger than you. So what if Makabu is shorter than other fighters Canelo has fought? It's a weight class, not a size class. Canelo may have a difficult time trying to walk this guy down, as he's been doing recently.

I'm interested and I always appreciate history being made. I was a Canelo hater for a looooong time but there's no denying this kid has done it all and is still in the prime of his career. The fuck else do you want him to do? There's no other superstar fighter out there right now to give him a "Pacquiao/Mayweather" or "Hagler/Leonard" style super fight.

Incredible looking run maybe

This fight doesn't interest me in the slightest

The general consensus is Beterbiev and Bivol are the guys who can beat him. As is Charlo.

Makabu doesn't stand a chance vs him. He won't get KOed as he can take a punch (people who say otherwise clearly only seen him vs Bellew apperantly) but he will get easily out pointed. 100 %.
“Incredible looking” that no one has ever done before. Yes, must just be optics.

I hope Bivol doesn’t hold out still hoping for a fight with Saul. Really want to see Bivol fight again.

Canelo is like 5'7 (same as Mayweather in height), almost the same width frame-wise, and now he wants to bulk up to Cruiserweight to challenge someone there?

In the weigh-ins against Kovalev, Canelo was wearing platform runners that gave him an inch and a half in terms of height while Kovalev was barefoot, and Kovalev was at least 2.5 to 3 inches taller than Canelo was.

Maybe Canelo wants to apply lessons learned from Mike Tyson and use his short and stocky stature to get close inside his opponent and land power bombs or something...

If Canelo still remains in shape while trying to gain enough weight to make Cruiserweight.

Lmao this dude is fighting waaaaaaay out of his league in size and yall are still crying. Same posters who praised other fighters for doing the same thing.

that is why i had to post this in another thread

will chime in to say Canelo Bless. he is on a level beyond left or right, but more importantly good vs evil.

hard work and dedication, floy prepped him for this mission to unite.

canelo's family were kidnapped by cartel, benefiting from then current border situation. so you can shove any argument up your ass. these border policies lead to human trafficking, so fuck off

this is why senor joe rogan loves canelo

every generation needs their champions and idols. in a clown world, any true man can respect someone like Canelo. buy Floy is still GOAT (to be fair)

that is why i had to post this in another thread

every generation needs their champions and idols. in a clown world, any true man can respect someone like Canelo. buy Floy is still GOAT (to be fair)
An hour ago you didnt have a double yellow.
What happen

This guy named ILUNGA MAKABU doesn't look to be too athletic and fast for someone in his division, and hasn't fought in almost a year now apparently. However, he could still be a very durable and strong dude; durable enough that a punch from a fighter from a lower weight class might not affect him as much as Canelo would expect.

Also, if Canelo actually decides to move up to Cruiserweight, how much would he actually weigh in the ring, and would he weigh too heavy to the point where he would slow down significantly?

This guy named ILUNGA MAKABU doesn't look to be too athletic and fast for someone in his division, and hasn't fought in almost a year now apparently. However, he could still be a very durable and strong dude; durable enough that a punch from a fighter from a lower weight class might not affect him as much as Canelo would expect.

Also, if Canelo actually decides to move up to Cruiserweight, how much would he actually weigh in the ring, and would he weigh too heavy to the point where he would slow down significantly?
I bet 182lbs. And I remember watching Makabus last fight. They had the ring outside and were having issues with something if I recall right.
Actually it was two fights ago. The Makabu vs Cieslak fight

What's wrong with Makabu? He's 28-2 with an 89% KO rate. Both of his losses were stoppages/KOs but the last time he was finished was by Bellew more than 5 years ago. Makabu is definitely small for the weight but he's still a Cruiserweight titlist with some fairly respectable wins on his resume. Canelo is only a natural Middleweight so the jump to Cruiserweight is highly dangerous. Especially against a fighter who has a punch. It could be argued that cherrypicking, or being really selective, is actually necessary due to the huge size differential. It appears this will be a one-off fight for Canelo to grab another divisional title. I expect a rehydration clause to be in the contract. Hopefully it's reasonable and Makabu isn't drained/weakened any. However, he's small for the weight so I don't think it'll have much of an impact either way.
It just isn't that intriguing, there's several other fights with guys from 160-175 that are far more intriguing. It's also low risk-high reward, he loses and people won't hold it against him because of the size difference, he wins and everyone talks about how great the achievement is, despite the fact that beating Beterbiev, Benavidez or Bivol would be more of a challenge and more of an accomplishment

Getting a feel for the division like he just did at 168lbs before unifying the division
Doesn't a fight against Benavidez or targeting the LHW Champs make more sense? I guess we'll see how much he's cherry picking or if he goes on to face the best.

Whats the minimum weight he can be for Cruiser? Canelo looks like he walks around 180 ish
I would think 176. Coming in light and staying fast might be a good strategy but I don't think he wants to give up too much weight against any big punchers.

It just isn't that intriguing, there's several other fights with guys from 160-175 that are far more intriguing. It's also low risk-high reward, he loses and people won't hold it against him because of the size difference, he wins and everyone talks about how great the achievement is, despite the fact that beating Beterbiev, Benavidez or Bivol would be more of a challenge and more of an accomplishment

Benavidez more of challenge and accomplishment??

I think this smells of the situation floyd faced, where everyone Canelo doesn't fight becomes this superhuman titan and then after Canelo evenually beats them, a new excuse forms and a new great white hope emerges

Back