News Canelo taking DAZN to court

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Shael, Sep 8, 2020.

1. RDL81 Purple Belt

yeah it doesn’t look like it’s worked out as well for him as he as hoped maybe he should have looked at contracts. Let’s see what happens in court or what deal they come too.

Still it’s been ok for other DAZN fighters

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    WklySportsMemes likes this.
  2. Boomb Hate the game, not the player.

I like Canelo, he’s my second favourite boxer to watch (after Loma), but someone should tell him, that we are in a pandemic and that the world pretty much stopped.

3. cocksure Silver Belt

They project Masvidal and Oscar to create more cash, not difficult to understand.

4. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

People insinuating that Canelo was above a circus fight is laughable. Floyd did it. Manny has been seriously considering it. You bet your ass Canelo would fight Conor, Masvidal, Khabib, if it meant a million PPV buys and a massive gate. And whether they were “boxers” is immaterial. Canelo against those guys — and this is an indictment of Boxing right now — moves the needle more than all the aforementioned fighters besides maybe GGG.

Im gathering that’s what dazn mean by Premium... an opponent that brings casuals and the general public on board. Doesn’t matter that you or I or fat dan are big sergiy derebycjenko fans. Nobody knows who he is.

Not even saying Canelo is in the wrong her btw. Dumb contract and Dazn should have gotten everything in writing. Now they’re stuck with him wanting a soft touch and no GGG fight or other Superfight at a time when they’re fighting for their survival.

5. ccm22 Green Belt

Maybe we’ll see a compromise where he fights Masvidal in December and BJS and Smith in May and September. That’s unlikely, but I think most people would be okay with the odd freak show fight as long as it was in addition to the real fights he has in his division. Ali took the same sorts of fights every once in a while.

6. WklySportsMemes Brown Belt

Aren't they trying to change AJ's to only guaranteeing the full amount if he wins? Because as far as I know the only deals or fighters they have that are comparable to the Wilder deal would be those 2.

7. RDL81 Purple Belt

I might be wrong but I don’t think that AJ is contracted to DAZN only on a fight by fight basis......matchroom have the exclusive with sky sports in UK which makes the fury fight complicated

8. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

So you want Canelo to fight UFC fighters or 50 year old De La Hoya like DAZN wants him to? Or youd prefer Canelo fight the best opponents like Smith, Saunders, Golovkin, etc like he has been trying to?

9. RDL81 Purple Belt

It seems this whole lawsuit has come about because DAZN want Canelo GGG three and canelo doesn’t want that fight. Nobody is saying DAZN want him to fight UFC fighters over GGG that’s the fight they want

10. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

The question isn't is he above circus fights or would it sell (id argue that 47 yo DLH wouldn't), but is it reasonable for a network to only consider freakshow fights for a boxing contract? Its not. Canelo obviously doesn't want a freak show fight; not sure why he should have to do one just because Manny is *considering* it. Doesn't make sense.

BJS and Smith are two of the best legitimate opponents Canelo can take on. If that's not good enough for DAZN they should have known the market better. If it was their intent to try to force Saul's hand down the line, they should have been clear. This is DAZN trying to have their cake and eat it too. I won't be disappointed if they can't.

Then, of course there's my perspective as a fan. These proposed fights suck.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

That is absolutely patently false. It was set for Canelo to fight BJS in May and Golovkin in Sept. Then the Kung Flu hit. Golovkin is now planning to fight a mandatory while Canelo seeks an opponent. Golovkin and Canelo have already agreed to fight again in early 2021.

I swear some of you just want to shit on Canelo instead of actually look at what is going on.

12. RDL81 Purple Belt

I honestly don’t believe these “proposed fights”

DAZN want GGG simple

As much as I would like to see canelo va smith or bjs as a uk fan I am not sure if these would be classed as premium opponents in the US I assume some US fighters would bring in more US viewers

13. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Stop spreading nonsense. Canelo has already agreed to a third fight twice now.

https://www.badlefthook.com/platfor...021-both-fighters-interested-dazn-boxing-news

14. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE**** Platinum Member

Crazy that people were slagging off Canelo for fighting "cans" but now DAZN wants him to fight a bunch of popular cans and suddenly its just sensible business.

PUO3 likes this.
  15. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Doesnt matter if Canelo fought Golovkin, Bivol, Beiv, and Usyk in a row theyd find something to cry about.

Shoemaker likes this.
  16. RDL81 Purple Belt

No they haven’t have they? If you read up on this it’s all to do with the GGG fight that’s what the people are talking about. Canelo is effectively saying in the court papers that he is not obliged to fight anyone other than fielding

17. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Yes they have and it is well documented. You are talking from your ass.

18. RDL81 Purple Belt

Have you even read that hahah

“Alvarez has largely sort of brushed off calls for a third bout between the two, feeling he’s won against Golovkin and done all there is he needs to do there“

“[Alvarez] is willing to entertain that third fight“

Where the does he say about him agreeing to a third fight twice looks like you are just making stuff up

19. RDL81 Purple Belt

Have you read the court papers?

20. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

So you didnt read the whole thing or just pick and choose what portions you want to cite?

Heres some more

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...es-everything-stand-canelo-ggg-3?platform=amp