Canelo still firm on not facing Mexican fighters

It was Canelos mom, she told him to avoid fighting other Mexican fighters. She was “No pelees con la raza mijito”

He was even very nice about fighting Berlanga. Considering Berlanga has fought nothing but Uber drivers but is getting so much widespread support that If I was a top Mexican fighter or Canelo I’d be like..

upload_2021-1-26_16-38-17.gif

then he’s never considered ODH Mexican or his buddy Ryan Garcia.

In this case, I'd guess he probably doesn't. I don't know, I'm not sure how much he cares to distinguish between Mexicans and Chicanos or how he perceives the other cultural divides. Regardless, if Benavidez continues to improve that fight will happen.

Well, Canelo likely won't consider him one, which is what matters here.
FWIW his mother is Ecuadorian-American and his father is Mexican-American apparently, so yeah, not really Mexican

In this case, I'd guess he probably doesn't. I don't know, I'm not sure how much he cares to distinguish between Mexicans and Chicanos or how he perceives the other cultural divides. Regardless, if Benavidez continues to improve that fight will happen.

I guess. To me if you have the blood and embrace the culture, why not, it’s what you are as it’s what’s running through your veins. Doesn’t make you any less American or unable to rep US. I didn’t know his mom was Ecuadorian though, thought both parents were Mexican.

Yeah I think he’d make the fight, also against Ramirez, even if its not in the near future.

I guess. To me if you have the blood and embrace the culture, why not, it’s what you are as it’s what’s running through your veins. Doesn’t make you any less American or unable to rep US. I didn’t know his mom was Ecuadorian though, thought both parents were Mexican.

Yeah I think he’d make the fight, also against Ramirez, even if its not in the near future.

Yeah, it's certainly not my prerogative to determine who qualifies as what, just going off how the divide has usually been perceived in boxing.

As for Ramirez, I think he will lose when he comes up against a good LHW, anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's certainly my prerogative to determine who qualifies as what, just going off how the divide has usually been perceived in boxing.

As for Ramirez, I think he will lose when he comes up against a good LHW, anyway.

No I understand, still happens all the time, always a young up and comer who isn’t enough of something to some fans.

I agree, I don’t see him hanging in there with the top LHW’s.

It's just a competition. Imagine if we never got the Barrera/Morales trilogy for this reason.
thats dufferent
that was a mexico city tijuana rivalry which is well established
nelo is from Jalisco he dont have a major cross country rivalry. too close the disricto to have big city beef and too central to have a beef with the frontera.
hes gotta rep the whole country.

i would have a beef with this if his choice was activelyblocking another fighter at the same weight who deserved a shot.

thats dufferent
nelo is from Jalisco he dont have a major cross country rivalry. too close the disricto to have big city beef and too central to have a beef with the frontera.

i would have a beef with this if his choice was activelyblocking another fighter at the same weight who deserved a shot.
Um, okay. I'm still going with it's a competition to see who is the best. Making a rule to not fight anyone from the same country seems like nonsense to me.

Does it really matter? Which Mexican fighter is elite level at SMW?

On the topic of Canelo ducking, i don't think Canelo would duck anyone, but i do think Oscar made sure they waited until GGG wasn't at his best before they took the fight.

Um, okay. I'm still going with it's a competition to see who is the best. Making a rule to not fight anyone from the same country seems like nonsense to me.

If you read what he's saying, he will take a fight with another Mexican - he already did against Chavez Jr. and he says in this interview that the door isn't closed. What he doesn't want to do is beat up a fellow Mexican who isn't ready and set back their career to further his.

thats dufferent

I didn't know these things. Thanks for the info, very interesting stuff, man.

thats dufferent

What about Chivas and Aguilas rivalry?
And who doesn't Mexico City have beef with?

They have beef with everybody that isn't from there

What about Chivas and Aguilas rivalry?
And who doesn't Mexico City have beef with?

They have beef with everybody that isn't from there
I wouldnt say beef. But its more like the way English think they be better than everyone and the way they do shit be right while erryone else is backwards.

I wouldnt say beef. But its more like the way English think they be better than everyone and the way they do shit be right while erryone else is backwards.

Must have been tiring getting to know all 50 million Englishmen enough to be able to make that claim.

What Mexican isn't he fighting that's the best fighter in the world?

As a whole mexico has the best fighters below 160lbs, they may not have the top slot now (besides Canelo), but it's a DEEP talent pool that he can avoid. Must be nice.

As a whole mexico has the best fighters below 160lbs, they may not have the top slot now (besides Canelo), but it's a DEEP talent pool that he can avoid. Must be nice.

Read what he actually said, not just the headline. Hes not opposed to fighting Mexicans.

I'm English and I take offence to that kind sir.

While I'm here let me correct your comment, queen's English Young man. "The English seem to think they are vastly superior and the manner they do things is exceptional and to the highest quality, while everyone else is to the lowest of standards".

If you read what he's saying, he will take a fight with another Mexican - he already did against Chavez Jr. and he says in this interview that the door isn't closed. What he doesn't want to do is beat up a fellow Mexican who isn't ready and set back their career to further his.

That's how I read it. Did seem like any kind of maneuvering of any sort. Forgivable enough position to take the matter, didnt even seem newsworthy tbh.

Back