Canelo GGG trilogy 9/12

Who wins?

• Total voters
The second fight? lol of course he won.

I still think it was drawish. I think Canelo was generally the better fighter, but Golovkin's activity was consistent and he was in enough rounds for it to be scored very close. Of course, I think the first fight was very close, as well (even if I gave a slight edge to Golovkin).

I still think it was drawish. I think Canelo was generally the better fighter, but Golovkin's activity was consistent and he was in enough rounds for it to be scored very close. Of course, I think the first fight was very close, as well (even if I gave a slight edge to Golovkin).

The idea that someone has to “convince” themselves he won that fight is clownish.

The idea that someone has to “convince” themselves he won that fight is clownish.

I agree and I think Canelo won. I think it's reasonable to see it very close, or perhaps even for Golovkin, though.

I agree and I think Canelo won. I think it's reasonable to see it very close, or perhaps even for Golovkin, though.

Sure. That’s not the context of the discussion though I appreciate the response.

I'm not saying Canelo got dominated in the first fight or that GGG got dominated in the rematch but I think both clearly have won, in my eyes, one apiece. It just feels like Canelo has this third fight in the bag considering he's in his prime and how well he did in the rematch. It would be hard to imagine GGG turning back the clock at this point. That jab tho, he still can pump some fucking diesel with that thing.

Robbed in the first bout.

2nd bout almost doesn't go off because someone loves their "Tainted Tacos".

Noticeable slow down from GGG in then 2nd and made if a close fight.

Hate to say it but he is too old and past it for a 3rd. As one of the above poster's said, "hope he's getting paid"

Probably going to end up like the Kov fight - but with Gennady putting up a better fight and offering some threat but just too past his prime to pull it off.

If it's at 168 that could make it more interesting but I don't like what I saw from GGG last fight and his new trainer sucks. I just don't want to see GGG get hurt and I believe he's not the same fighter anymore, for Derevyanchenko to hurt him that means Canelo definitely can. Only positive I see is Canelo doesn't have Chenko's output or stamina

In GGG fanboy world Canelo was going to get KOed in their 1st fight. When the fight was over they suddenly pretended GGG was an old man.

This is a good fight, especially for Canelo's legacy. I think if he wins this one convincingly people will look at the first two fights more favourably. Hopefully, GGG has one last great performance in him yet to give us a good fight.

For most its 1-1. Who's going to win the decider? Cheater vs non cheater remember.

Canelo dumped his MW in the garbage, did PEDs and then took a fight against a washed up guy all to push his fights with GGG as far from GGG's prime as possible.

It's a shame we didn't get to see them fight in their primes.

It is a shame, but their primes never overlapped. It’s pretty widely accepted that Canelo has improved significantly the past several years. He is in his prime now, but GGG is fading.

Either they’d have fought too early for Canelo, or too late for GGG.

In GGG fanboy world Canelo was going to get KOed in their 1st fight. When the fight was over they suddenly pretended GGG was an old man.
Not going to dive into the fanboy thing, but I do think it has been totally buried how many people predicted/expected Canelo to get smoked when they first fought.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought Canelo did enough in the first fight as well, a draw was super fair but I've scored that fight a draw and twice for Canelo. Never once for GGG, but I could see the argument. 2nd fight you'd have to do mental gymnastics to give to GGG in any way. He got beat, and soundly. It was a "close" fight that wasn't all that close if you know what I mean.

So a third fight planned for what, nearly 2 years later? GGG not looking spectacular as of late, but he and Canelo have matched up well twice, so it may not be a blowout. I still think his number is got, and it might just be a stoppage this time, but I expect at least for the fight to be decent.

Not going to dive into the fanboy thing, but I do think it has been totally buried how many people predicted/expected Canelo to get smoked when they first fought.

I forgot about all of the "he's not a full-sized middleweight" comments. Fast-forward to him knocking a light-heavyweight silly.

GGG stands 0 chance in this fight. He is 38 and he looked like dogshit in his last fights. And no it was not a matter of stepping up. He was fighting Steve Rolls! His legs are slower, his handspeed (which never was great) has slowed down to a point where Canelo will have an easy time not taking any damage. Although GGG has a ATG-chin, there is only so many punches a great chin takes before in breaks. He took plenty of good shots in his last couple of fights.
As a GGG fan it hurts to admit, but if i was him, i wouldnt fight Canelo. He will get battered, and cause his chin is so good, he might take a shot or two too many before he eventually goes down.

Back