Canelo GGG 2 24/7

Some of y'all act like DLH has so much pull, I point you to his fight with Trinidad. Just take a look-see.
Its mentally easy to cry robbery every time something happens that we don't like.

It's a shame but it's a our reality. I think the right man won

Last edited:
Its mentally easy to cry robbery every time something happens that we don't like.

It's a shame but it's a our reality. I think the right man won

I don't know that anyone is crying robbery, at least not in this thread.

How i saw the way the fight was set up was that GGG was the face and Canelo was the heel. GGG being the face due to his good boy demeanour, and Canelo being the heel due to the recent clenbuterol debacle coupled with the strange judge scoring from a few of his past fights most notably the (114-114 by one judge for the Mayweather fight), essentially Canelo i think was seen as the embodiment of everything that is wrong with boxing. I think it is only natural for many folks to want the face to come out victorious. However, that was not the case this past Saturday, and so understandable as well that many would call the fight a robbery.

How i saw the way the fight was set up was that GGG was the face and Canelo was the heel. GGG being the face due to his good boy demeanour, and Canelo being the heel due to the recent clenbuterol debacle coupled with the strange judge scoring from a few of his past fights most notably the (114-114 by one judge for the Mayweather fight), essentially Canelo i think was seen as the embodiment of everything that is wrong with boxing. I think it is only natural for many folks to want the face to come out victorious. However, that was not the case this past Saturday, and so understandable as well that many would call the fight a robbery.
I liked that perspective. That perhaps explains my frustration from both GGG vs Canelo matches.

Anyone crying robbery is clueless or rather bitter. Close, close fight. A victory by either man by a slim margin or draw... All completely respectable outcomes.

I think they landed about even, AND Canelo bullied GGG. That's what did it for me. And in the first part of the fight, nearly 7 full rounds, he was eating GGG's heart. Never has that guy seemed that discouraged and bamboozled.

"We're losing out there." - Abel Sanchez

I just object to the implication that a 1-point win is a conspiracy. The conspiracy doesnt favor Golovkin for a rematch.

And I didn't say he proved he's better. I said he demonstrated, on paper, that Golovkin is NOT better than him. There's a difference. As it stands right this second, he doesn't need GGG, GGG needs him. There's nothing else but to fight some young bucks he's already shown no real interest in fighting.

Canelo will likely go for a 3rd. But that's not good for Golovkin. He's not the one improving in each fight.

You could see shades of this against Jacobs. Jacobs being a strong MW wouldnt let GGG get set inside. He'd be planting and firing back to the Body. Punching with GGG inside often. Afterwards people would note GGG's lack of bodywork. As if it was a mere oversight on his part opposed to an opponent refusing to surrender the initiative on the inside.

GGG being a guy who builds momentum on the front foot, I was hoping to see Canelo stifle that in the first fight instead of expending energy on his bike. Would get him beyond that stifling jab of GGG too. Finally in the rematch we saw him put Golovkin on his heels and that left hand downstairs, although not catching the eye of the viewers the way GGGs arsenal upstairs was... Served as deterrent and the most consistently impactful shot in the fight IMO.

Anytime GGG found himself extended on the front foot that left hand was getting slammed underneath. Opened up that right cross upstairs for Canelo down the stretch. If there's a 3rd fight I can only see a more confident Canelo pressing with more authority.

Last edited:
Uhh, no GGG was not punching Canelo all night long, and Floyd gets hit more than you think. He is, however, very excellent at selling the idea that he wasn't. And no, it was not obviously Golovkin leading.

I think you're a very good example of what I talk about in the video I posted in response to shincheckin. People just cannot seem to wrap their heads around that Canelo is a boxer / puncher. He's not a pressuring fighter unless he knows he has you controlled. So every moment he spends being what you think he shouldn't be, you count it against him. Add to it the current hero - worship of Golovkin and you have a fight in your head where Canelo got beat us.

That's just not what happened.

Exactly. Floyd is brilliant defensively... But both his poise under fire, and the adoption of a particular posture for the audience and judges makes him look more invincible than he is. If anyone can bear to recall the pac fight... Watch his legs in the 6th round when Pac loops a left hand over the top and catches him on the temple. His legs go. He's absolutely hurt. He recovers quick, doesn't panic.. and the narrative among commentators is... Floyd the defensive Maestro who wasn't really hurt.

Fans have a hard time believing GGG was rattled, was being stung to the Body,.Was flustered... And I'm sure it has something to do with GGG's appeal as the hard-nosed and consummate professional. The man who was ducked for years, had to fight his way out of obscurity... And the appeal that has when he's matched against the golden boy of this era.

I noticed Kellerman said on commentary that GGG’s punches were hurting Álvarez at the end of the 8th.

I didn’t see it at the time but I did think Álvarez looked more hurt in the 10th than either fighter has in their first two fights.

I wonder if GGG making a concerted push for the knockout from the opening bell would serve him better than trying to outbox Canelo. It seemed like working behind the jab was an adaption in the first fight but this fight he picked up where he left off even though Canelo came out with different tactics.

You know, I thought Canelo won by a wider margin in the first. After that one I felt clearly that he was the better fighter.

About this one now, I saw him knocking GGG out later on. Since the first round GGG looked out of it, nervous. But Canelo seemed to slow down by the 8, perhaps due to imposing such a heavy rhythm. GGG showed world class heart too in that late fight resurgence.

Watching it live I got to caught up on that and felt he won, but after watching it again it just seemed too little, too late. And Canelo edged that 12 round, too.

I'm not really interested in watching they do it again with GGG one year older and after such a brutal fight.

Ps: I'm still under that impression that Canelo is the better, more skilled fighter. Going forward like that against GGG is not like Floyd plodding against Conor. He beat GGG, the KO machine, in two completely different ways.

If they do it again I'll not be surprised if he jabs the fuck out of GGG, lol

I noticed Kellerman said on commentary that GGG’s punches were hurting Álvarez at the end of the 8th.

I didn’t see it at the time but I did think Álvarez looked more hurt in the 10th than either fighter has in their first two fights.

I wonder if GGG making a concerted push for the knockout from the opening bell would serve him better than trying to outbox Canelo. It seemed like working behind the jab was an adaption in the first fight but this fight he picked up where he left off even though Canelo came out with different tactics.

GGG is a finisher, but everything has always come off that ramrod jab. The guy who has being knocking guys senseless for several years didn't stop that pursuit ad per a tactical adjustment. He couldn't let his hands go in the same way. There was heavy, quick leather coming back his way... And the body shots especially kept him honest. He couldn't dominate Canelo inside, get superior positioning, land the better shots chest to chest... And he ceded that ground. Alvarez didn't look half as hurt as the commentary team would have one believe. Look at how many shots GGG actually managed to land. Canelos defense was on point. He certainly got buzzed and there was an ebb in his energy levels. But several hard bodyshots from Canelo stood out as bigger moments to me. Anytime that distance collapsed he was digging them in so hard and you'd see GGG give ground and walk them off with his game face on.

As with Kovalev... A stretch of fights where you're rarely put on your heels can be a detriment in terms of preparation for fights like these. It doesn't help that the boxing pedigree, fundamentals, that are relentlessy drilled into these eastern bloc boys... And the Cubans for that matter
.. Aren't practiced with the same discipline as the adaptation to the pro game is made.

As with Kovalev... A stretch of fights where you're rarely put on your heels can be a detriment in terms of preparation for fights like these. It doesn't help that the boxing pedigree, fundamentals, that are relentlessy drilled into these eastern bloc boys... And the Cubans for that matter
.. Aren't practiced with the same discipline as the adaptation to the pro game is made.

Eh I could see how Ward beat Kovalev. It was briliant boxing from Ward against him. But I could not see the same happening with Golovkin and Canelo. Ward is perhaps the best boxer in the past 5 to maybe 10 years. Briliant boxer.

I don't think that was an adaptation, Canelo's got right in his face and refused to get out of it. I doubt backing up was Golovkin's plan considering Sanchez kept imploring him to be more aggressive.

I don't know that anyone is crying robbery, at least not in this thread.
One isolated thread doesn't change the narrative of the entire boxing community. "boxing is corrupt" " man this is why I don't watch boxing" etc

Canelo backed up the "beast" the whole fight. and had it not been for ggg amazing chin he would have went night night.

I dont reward guys who are coming forward unless he is doing work. In this case canelo landed all of the important punches.

I don't know what fight you guys where watching. I had it 9 to 3 canelo. He touched up ggg all night with counters.

Jabs mean jack if you are eating 6 or 7 rights per round that would ko the hulk.

I had it 8-4 Canelo when I was watching it live, but after watching it again a couple times I think it's either 9-3 or 10-2 for Canelo. Rounds 8 & 10 are the ones I scored for GGG and round 5 is either a draw or a slight edge to GGG.

There were a lot of close rounds, but the key thing to note is that every time GGG landed a good punch or combo, Canelo would get them back and even it back out pretty quickly and then add in good punches of his own that went unanswered by GGG. This is why IMO he won most of the rounds even though they were close.

It's everywhere

Oh yeah, out there it's lunacy.

It's all basically coming from the fact that the commentators on both english broadcasting channels both vocalized a belief in Golovkin winning the fight before the announcement. One of them even out and out said that it was a fix for Canelo to get the nod after the fact.

This is why, if it's a very close fight, and you're a mike-jockey, you should just talk shop about what each guy was doing to fill time and just say 'it could go either way; lets see what the announcement is'. Because then you won't have to feel compelled to start doubling down on whatever it is your choice was if the judges didn't see it your way in order to save face; because once you've vocalized it, on national tv, you're not going to want to walk it back, on national tv.

Last edited:
It's all basically coming from the fact that the commentators on both english broadcasting channels both vocalized a belief in Golovkin winning the fight before the announcement. One of them even out and out said that it was a fix for Canelo to get the nod.

This is why, if it's a very close fight, and you're a mike-jockey, you should just talk shop about what each guy was doing to fill time and just say 'it could go either way; lets see what the announcement is'. Because then you won't have to feel compelled to start doubling down on whatever it is your choice was if the judges didn't see it your way in order to save face; because once you've vocalized it, on national tv, you're not going to want to walk it back, on national tv.

Where I was watching I couldn't hear the commentary very well (it was HBO) but the spots I could hear sounded pretty balanced.

You're right, it's amazing how commentary can sway what you think you're seeing and mostly I try tro avoid listening to it. Also, HBO commentary sucks.

Back