Canelo Alvarez vs Marvelous Marvin Hagler

And anyone who thought BJS was beating GGG or Canelo. Think again!

<45>have you ever watched Hagler? His work rate puts Canelo to shame.
Canelo is more of a counter puncher or boxer puncher than a worker....but what i found odd is comparing ggg to Hagler...they're nothing alike

Canelo is more of a counter puncher or boxer puncher than a worker....but what i found odd is comparing ggg to Hagler...they're nothing alike

True They’re nothing alike, that should be even more surprising as you say Canelo doesn’t have the work rate because he’s a counter puncher but he still often takes breaks here and there and gets visibly tired second half.

True They’re nothing alike, that should be even more surprising as you say Canelo doesn’t have the work rate because he’s a counter puncher but he still often takes breaks here and there and gets visibly tired second half.
Being a counter puncher is tiring. You try going in a ring for just 3 rounds and play defense....shit wears you out. It's mentally tiring too

Being a counter puncher is tiring. You try going in a ring for just 3 rounds and play defense....shit wears you out. It's mentally tiring too

Yeah I know, specially blocking and the constant focus but I just think Marvin still had the better tank, just too much work. The guy couldn’t stay still constantly dipping and jerking his head like Duran for ex, that was that old school shiie...

I dont think it'd be as one sided as some may think, Canelo has a genuine ATG skill set. But I think Haglers pressure, volume and durability would have him jumping ahead on the scorecards in the later part of the fight.

I think you have to be real here...Hagler was a great fighter, conditioning, chin, ferocious...But though he had combinations he wasn't even in the same league as Canelo or GGG in one punch power!!! Plus both also have at least the chin of Hagler and are both physically bigger & stronger in the ring...This is one where Hagler wouldn't be able to bully Canelo - which was his MO against all opponents...He would be knocked out!!!

I think you have to be real here...Hagler was a great fighter, conditioning, chin, ferocious...But though he had combinations he wasn't even in the same league as Canelo or GGG in one punch power!!! Plus both also have at least the chin of Hagler and are both physically bigger & stronger in the ring...This is one where Hagler wouldn't be able to bully Canelo - which was his MO against all opponents...He would be knocked out!!!
Wow, a white belt resurrects a thread about Hagler vs Canelo less than a week after Haglers death to let us know Canelo would knock out Hagler.

Seems innocent enough

Wow, a white belt resurrects a thread about Hagler vs Canelo less than a week after Haglers death to let us know Canelo would knock out Hagler.

Seems innocent enough

I’ll give him that : it is well documented that Hagler was prone to getting KOed. That’s why he ducked Malignaggi.

Last edited:
GGG and Hagler are VERY similar, Canelo outboxes them both.

GGG and Hagler are VERY similar, Canelo outboxes them both.

Not really discussing the Canelo matchup, but pre-Hearns Hagler is obviously a southpaw, he moves around the ring and his opponents way better than Golovkin and there’s more diversity in his offensive game. Over-the-hill Hagler looked a bit like GGG at times, granted, but one is basically a boxer-puncher and the other is more of a slugger, even if his technique is much better than most of his kind’s.

Last edited:
Not really discussing the Canelo matchup, but pre-Hearns Hagler is obviously a southpaw, he moves around the ring and his opponents way better than Golovkin and there’s more diversity in his offensive game. Over-the-hill Hagler looked a bit like GGG at times, granted, but one is basically a boxer-puncher and the other is more of a slugger, even if his technique is much better than most of his kind’s.

I don't know, I always thought GGG and Hagler were pretty similar... Hagler was only 33 when he retired, so I'm not sure what you mean by "over the hill," seems to me like you might be comparing over the hill GGG to young hagler.

BTW, yes Hagler is a better version of GGG, but they are similar in how they win. That's the comparison I'm making.

I don't know, I always thought GGG and Hagler were pretty similar... Hagler was only 33 when he retired, so I'm not sure what you mean by "over the hill," seems to me like you might be comparing over the hill GGG to young hagler.

BTW, yes Hagler is a better version of GGG, but they are similar in how they win. That's the comparison I'm making.

Do yourself a favor and watch his pre-Hearns fights. They’re not similar to Golovkin’s wins IMO.

Last edited:

You also have to consider that GGG gave Canelo all he could handle (many think he won the first fight), and GGG was a bit old himself when he fought Canelo.

So an older GGG gave Canelo lots of problems, and we’re talking a prime (much younger than GGG) version of Hagler, who we sort of consider a better version of GGG.

Drawing similarities to one another and how their rise to the top and individual reigns looked, okay sure. But selling Hagler waaaaay short calling him "a better GGG", and to be honest, selling GGG short too. He was his own story and approach. I think their intentions were very similar, and the outcomes too, but I dont think of them as extremely similar. Look at each fighting their highest level of competitio. It's all indicative of how different they both were when they really had to fight. It was the majority of their opponents who had the most in common: overmatched and no where to run.

I’d favor Hagler to win, but it would be a tough fight. Hagler would have to come in with the right gameplan and mindset. He did have some closer than expected fights like Duran and Leonard. That said, we’re thinking the best version of each fighter and the best version of Hagler will beat any MW in history with the exception of Roy Jones Jr.

Canelo is great, but Hagler will always be greater.

Back