Canelo Alvarez vs Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Canelo doesn't have SRL's feet, but guys who could box troubled Hagler. That being said, Hagler was the destroyer, and he was never going to lose a fire fight. Hagler by Canelo not being a mover, too stationary, and if GGG was razor close with Canelo Hagler would be pulling ahead by the midway point.

The Marvelous One completely dismantles Kid Cinnamon and might even get a KO.

Hagler was talented, tougher than leather, had monk like dedication, had insane endurance, incredible punch variation, could switch stances mid combo, could box or brawl, fight on the outside or inside and was deadly at midrange, and hits very hard with both hands. I agree with Seano this is a very bad stylistic matchup for Canelo.

I like Hagler.
But it’s a tough fight for sure. Cinnamons hand speed power and chin is a danger. For everyone say8ng if haggs fights like he did against hearns he would wade through him. I gotta say it wouldn’t happen as Nnelo isn’t weak like hearns and wouldn’t fold against adversity.

Hagler is basically Kirkland but slightly better

Hagler brings the fight inside and basically out works him to a decision. By round 7-8 Canelo's cardio will be a factor as Hagler's inside body work will start paying off. If it's on the outside, I'm not so sure, 60/40 Canelo perhaps.

Hagler all day, Canelo would look like he'd been through a mincer.
Let's see Canelo try to win rounds by slowing things down and landing three hooks a round<45>

Hagler wouldn’t try and box Canelo, IMO. Alvarez is too good of a combination counter puncher and has too tight a defense, sturdy chin, to get picked apart and beaten on the outside by Marvin. It would take like a Roy Jones, Tommie Hearns, McCallum type rangy talent to do that. He wouldn’t win a decision against Ginger either... and he’d know that.
I think Hagler would go right after Canelo and put him on the back foot. Force Canelo out of his turtle shell and into a proper firefight. A brawl. Take him into deep waters and stop him late.

Last edited:
Honestly I used to favor Hagler by a fair margin but after seeing all of the improvements Canelo has made, I'm a lot less confident in picking Hagler

People picking Hagler to stop Canelo are on a trip of wishful thinking. He's never even been down, and he's faced big aggressive punchers.

Hagler can - and in my estimations would - outwork Saul but stop? There's nothing to suggest Canelo would be stopped in that fight.

Hagler wouldn’t try and box Canelo, IMO. Alvarez is too good of a combination counter puncher and has too tight a defense, sturdy chin, to get picked apart and beaten on the outside by Marvin. It would take like a Roy Jones, Tommie Hearns, McCallum type rangy talent to do that. He wouldn’t win a decision against Ginger either... and he’d know that.
Hagler goes right after Canelo and puts him on the back foot. Forces Canelo out of his shell and into a proper firefight. A brawl. Takes him into deep waters and stops him late.
I agree with most of this. I do agree that hagler won't box with canelo; canelo counters too well. they would need to slug on the inside.

They are both iron chinned inside fighters who could put punches together well. The difference is that canelo has shown a tendency to slow late in fights; thats where halger would likely take it.

My prediction for the fight is that they'd go head to head for the first 9 or so rounds, with hagler taking over late. Idk if there is a knockout. Both take punches too well. If Canelo were to hurt hagler, it'd probably be to the body. No way he hurts him up top. That said though, was hagler ever hurt, even to the body?

If hagler stops canelo, it would probably be due to fatigue.

I give a slight edge to hagler on a close UD or SD. Nothing like the "hagler would end canelo" type of stuff that's on this thread.

Just thinking about this fight gets me hyped. Would be a fantastic match up.

Last edited:
People picking Hagler to stop Canelo are on a trip of wishful thinking. He's never even been down, and he's faced big aggressive punchers.

Hagler can - and in my estimations would - outwork Saul but stop? There's nothing to suggest Canelo would be stopped in that fight.
Exactly Canelo has the best chin and durability in the game right now. May even be top few of all time.
And this is coming from somebody who ussually roots against him. His skills and attributes are undeniable at this point though.

GGG and Hagler are very similar in their pressure, toughness, and power, so who knows. I never thought Canelo would beat GGG.

What a fight this would be, I’m picking Hagler with no confidence, the winner would be us fans though.

Back