News Canelo Alvarez vs Ilunga Junior fight in doubt

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
A rematch between Ilunga Junior Makabu and mandatory challenger Thabiso Mchunu may be coming on Jan. 29, which could put Makabu’s planned May 7 WBC cruiserweight title defense against Canelo Alvarez in jeopardy.

Don King, the 90-year-old promoter long since faded from being any sort of real power in the boxing world, sent out a press release announcing he will stage the Makabu-Mchunu rematch in Warren, Ohio, and said that Canelo would be in attendance.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/11...-may-happen-january-don-king-boxing-news-2021

I would put odds on the WBC let Canelo fight first but even if they don't why can't Canelo just fight the winner? The winner will have over 3 months to train and recover for May 7.

I would put odds on the WBC let Canelo fight first but even if they don't why can't Canelo just fight the winner? The winner will have over 3 months to train and recover for May 7.
They could get injured or get a suspension from the fight. I doubt Canelo will wait for the outcome of the fight. I expect he will fight someone else.

They could get injured or get a suspension from the fight. I doubt Canelo will wait for the outcome of the fight. I expect he will fight someone else.
Good point but I expect the WBC to move mountains to give Canelo what he wants. After all they kept Whyte from his title shot for years, why wouldn't they fuck over Mchunu for one fight?

He could always try to go for the CW strap at some later time. Will be interesting to see who his opponent will be if not Mabaku.

I wonder how Makabu feels now. Looking at Bivol and being like:

upload_2022-5-9_1-33-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-9_1-33-1.png
    upload_2022-5-9_1-33-1.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 1
Back