Canelo Alvarez team reportedly makes offer to Jason Quigley for Sept. 12 fight

IF it was 8m then I’m not sure why he would turn it down. That is a duck as no one else would pay him that
Smith and Saunders were both offered 8 mil.

Smith and Saunders were both offered 8 mil.

like I said, if they were offered 8m? And whether there was a weight/rehydration clause? If it was a straight 8m, no special rehydration clause, then it is a duck.

like I said, if they were offered 8m? And whether there was a weight/rehydration clause? If it was a straight 8m, no special rehydration clause, then it is a duck.
The only issue from Smith’s mouth was money, and that was 8 million. Saunders got the same offer, and his issue was money, then it wasnt, now its time and hed fight for free lol.

Smith still wants it supposedly. Id love for Canelo’s team to toss him a couple more to get it done though. BJS is a fraud though.

Ditto (and I haven’t even read the whole thread). But this is Canelo’s new m.o. in my opinion. Publicize the dollars and cents figure to make dudes who make a fraction of the price look bad, and himself good, while pushing for bullshit clauses like dehydration and a fight 8 weeks out

Canelo knows he has every advantage over opponents when he keeps them in the dark while knowing full well that he’s going to fight on a certain date... and he probably knows exactly who he’s going to fight too... down to the last 2 names.

But he’s jerking these guys around trying to squeeze every singe extra advantage that he can get out of them.

If he wants these name guys to just sacrifice themselves on his alter he should pay them a fucking premium. Period.

I think that’s why Callum Smith hasn’t signed on yet. He’s a young guy with with ambitions... lol... he’s not a 37 year old who’s looking to cash out. If Canelo wants Smith or Saunders to essentially come in with one hand tied behind their back then Golden Boy should be prepared to back up the fucking truck (5-10 mill. Minimum).

Ditto (and I haven’t even read the whole thread). But this is Canelo’s new m.o. in my opinion. Publicize the dollars and cents figure to make dudes who make a fraction of the price look bad, and himself good, while pushing for bullshit clauses like dehydration and a fight 8 weeks out

Canelo knows he has every advantage over opponents when he keeps them in the dark while knowing full well that he’s going to fight on a certain date... and he probably knows exactly who he’s going to fight too... down to the last 2 names.

But he’s jerking these guys around trying to squeeze every singe extra advantage that he can get out of them.

If he wants these name guys to just sacrifice themselves on his alter he should pay them a fucking premium. Period.

I think that’s why Callum Smith hasn’t signed on yet. He’s a young guy with with ambitions... lol... he’s not a 37 year old who’s looking to cash out. If Canelo wants Smith or Saunders to essentially come in with one hand tied behind their back then Golden Boy should be prepared to back up the fucking truck (5-10 mill. Minimum).
Neither Saunders nor Smith originally said there were any issues other than money. Then Saunders changed his tune and said he wouldnt be ready in Sept.

And the offer was 8 million, well within your scale. Towards the top even lol.

I get the narrative with Canelo but its simply false here.

Neither Saunders nor Smith originally said there were any issues other than money. Then Saunders changed his tune and said he wouldnt be ready in Sept.

And the offer was 8 million, well within your scale. Towards the top even lol.

My estimates are my own, mind you. I’m not affiliated with either the Smith or Saunders camp so I don’t know why those guys pull down for domestic normal title fights.

Don’t know how much Saunders made, for example, to take on David Lemieux a few years ago. And I don’t know what Canelo REALLY makes per fight under DAZN.

But just from some casual sleuthing, I’ve seen that Canelo makes well over 10x what Lemieux made in his own back yard (Canada) versus Saunders.

And if BJS made over 1 million to fight Lemieux in Canada, as I’ve seen reported, then I can see where he might scoff at 8 million up front.

At the end of the day, I know the numbers just as well as you do. The fact of the matter is despite Canelo having the ball on his court he’s not gotten a big fight made. That’s on him... not Saunders, Smith, Lemieux, Quigley, Golovkin, etc. etc.

He’s the common denominator in all this.

My estimates are my own, mind you. I’m not affiliated with either the Smith or Saunders camp so I don’t know why those guys pull down for domestic normal title fights.

Don’t know how much Saunders made, for example, to take on David Lemieux a few years ago. And I don’t know what Canelo REALLY makes per fight under DAZN.

But just from some casual sleuthing, I’ve seen that Canelo makes well over 10x what Lemieux made in his own back yard (Canada) versus Saunders.

And if BJS made over 1 million to fight Lemieux in Canada, as I’ve seen reported, then I can see where he might scoff at 8 million up front.

At the end of the day, I know the numbers just as well as you do. The fact of the matter is despite Canelo having the ball on his court he’s not gotten a big fight made. That’s on him... not Saunders, Smith, Lemieux, Quigley, Golovkin, etc. etc.

He’s the common denominator in all this.
The common denominator has fought a murderers row of opponents. Smith and BJS have not.

And again, BJS has changed his stance and now says the money isnt the issue but that he wouldnt have enough time to be prepared.

Hearn has four boxers in training waiting for the call – Callum Smith, John Ryder, Demetrius Andrade and Dmitry Bivol.
Canelo Return on September 12 Not Looking Realistic, Says Hearn

Those guys are Canelo's options right now on Hearn's side. Even if Canelo doesn't fight in September, assuming that group of potentials remains the same, then I'd like to see him in with either Andrade or Bivol next. Stylistically they could really trouble Canelo as both box & move, they're quick, and defense is a priority to them. In Andrade's case he's very risk averse when it comes to engaging, the spoiler type, and he's an opponent that Golden Boy told Canelo he needs to fight to essentially silence the doubters (Jermall Charlo is another one, B-Hop has been the one calling for it lately). Whether they're actually considering Andrade remains to be seen.

Andrade certainly qualifies as high risk-low reward for Team Canelo and Team Golovkin felt the same way. He has the kind of athletic attributes and style to make you look bad, or at the very least far from special, and that's not good for business. In Charlo's case he evidently turned a lucrative offer down last year, at least according to Golden Boy, but they should try again with him and some of the others. Let's not forget that Kovalev also turned Canelo's initial offer down too, citing the money, then he beat Yarde, and after that he got a considerably better offer.

I've heard Oscar say that they've knocked on some of these guys' doors and since they turned down their initial offer, allegedly due mainly to Team Canelo's time table constraints and/or financial concerns, that they won't have another opportunity again. In Plant's case he claims that he hadn't even been formally made an offer to fight Canelo in the first place despite stating that the timing would've been an issue for him anyway. Most recently (a few months ago) he did say that he's free in September to fight Canelo, he put that out there. Golden Boy should toss his name back into the hat and make him an actual offer, a lucrative one, since he claims he's willing to fight and that timing is no longer an issue for September. At this point though, as Hearn said, it's probably too late to get an opponent of that profile for Canelo in September.

Back