Canadians Banned for Life from US, for Owning Marijuana Company Stocks

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is the dumbest shit I've heard in the longest time. If you invested in the publicly traded marijuana producers in Canada, you can be banned for life without having ever consuming the substance.

With the impending legalization of recreational marijuana this fall, Canadians with investments in American pot companies will have to be careful crossing the U.S. border following the news that one prominent businessman was banned for life.

Sam Znaimer is a prominent venture capitalist in Vancouver who started investing in budding U.S. cannabis startup companies a few years ago. In May, Znaimer was trying to travel to the States when he was stopped by border officials. During the questioning, he said he was never asked about his personal consumption of the drug, which is legal in several U.S. states, but not federally. Instead, Znaimer said Homeland Security interrogated him about his investments.

“In the course of four hours, they never did ask [about pot consumption] and I believe that was because they wanted to send a message to Canadians that it has not only to do with your personal behaviour, but whether in any way you have invested in these companies,” he told CTV Vancouver on Thursday.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/why-investing-in-pot-could-pose-problems-at-the-u-s-border-1.4011813

Smells like Sessions.

What's surprising about being treated like a criminal for legally investing in American companies?

And yet we let Somalis in in the tens of thousands.

The story is kind of bizarre. If you invest in a Canadian pot company, it's no problem, but if it's an American company, you need to apply for a waiver? I sort of understand questioning them since it is still illegal federally, but it is sort of a silly law to begin with.

They don't want gamblers in their country

Its cool to sell guns to mentally deranged people but whatever you do don't invest in weed companies!!!!

Murka aka assbackwards land.

Huh. Guess we had to beat out their if you've ever once had a DUI you can't enter Canada law on the stupidness scale

Huh. Guess we had to beat out their if you've ever once had a DUI you can't enter Canada law on the stupidness scale
That law goes both ways I am pretty sure. If you have broken the law and have a record of any kind then you need a waiver to cross the border in either direction.

I demand we build a wall. Keep America great, don't allow those dirty Canadian drug cartels to effect our youth with their dirty pot money. We all know that Canadians are all rapist and murders, I suppose some are good people.

What kind of bizzare nonsense is this?

First Bryan Adams, now this?

americas cannabis laws are a microcosm of all its problems in general.

decriminalization is the only sane option at this point, but the prison industrial complex has our leaders too deep in its pockets. this should be a nonpartisan issue.

Back