Canadian Gov. to ban spear hunting after American hunter posts video of bear hunted with spear

Banchan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An American hunter speared a baited black bear with a 13 x 40 cm spear causing outrage from the public and has the Canadian government seeking to mandate an immediate ban on spears as acceptable weaponry for hunting .

In the video the hunter Josh Bowmar a bodybuilding and fitness entrepreneur from Ohio makes a clean shot into the bear but does not make any attempt to track the bear despite that it had run less than 60 yards away and could be heard grunting and running awkwardly in the back ground . The video then cuts to the next day where the hunter elatedly points out a piece of the bears intestine wrapped around a tree branch where it had finally bled out and died during the night .

Bowmar claims that spears kill quickly and humanely but that is questioned by the total lack of attempt at tracking the bear after it was speared . Most likely he knew that the bear was injured and dangerous and it would take time for it to die . Many hunters will not use spears for hunting and the ban is welcome news for Alberta fisheries and game President Wayne Lowry who called the ban " welcome news " . The government hopes to fast track the ban so that the fall hunt will see no spears being used on wildlife .

Bowmar told The Canadian Press in an email he was surprised by the reaction to the video. He said spears have been used for hunting since the “dawn of man” and the notion that the method is inhumane “couldn’t be further from the truth.”

He said the spear blade he used was 13 centimetres wide and about 40 centimetres long and penetrated the bear more than 60 centimetres deep.

“The bear I speared only ran (55 metres) and died immediately, that’s as humane and ethical as one could get in a hunting situation on big game animals. Trust me, no one cares more about these animals than us hunters, especially me,” he wrote.

Honestly the guy sounds like a douche . Just watch the video and see for yourself . That shot was impressive but i think he very well knew that the spear would cause a distressing death but did it anyway because he wanted to be the first guy to accomplish it from the ground .

Last edited:
Great throw, takes way more skill than a high powered rifle. He better have harvested all the meat and used the fur and bones, that's what I have a bigger issue with than the choice of killing tool.

Well, without knowing who to believe--the writer saying it took all night to die or the hunter saying it died "immediately"--I don't know whether I should be outraged or not.

baiting should be banned

*edit

it sounds pretty bad, but i have tracked deer that were shot with a .444, so even with a firearm the animal can get away from you [especially when the hunter is a shitty shot]. . . upon reading the story, however, the guy sounds like a douchebag/terrible hunter, who has a very limited understanding of human history/conservation, and was doing this in order to garner attention.

Last edited:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Great throw, takes way more skill than a high powered rifle. He better have harvested all the meat and used the fur and bones, that's what I have a bigger issue with than the choice of killing tool.
With a high powered rifle you can aim to get a more specific shot . With a spear you are just throwing it into the animal hoping it hits anywhere . The work of the spear is to cut a slice so large into the animal it bleeds to death but this is rarely so sudden especially in a large animal like a bear .

baiting should be banned, not spear hunting
People will not pay thousands of dollars to go hunting and not shoot anything . Its kind of paramount to the hunting industry . Personally i rather get rid of spears .

With a high powered rifle you can aim to get a more specific shot . With a spear you are just throwing it into the animal hoping it hits anywhere . The work of the spear is to cut a slice so large into the animal it bleeds to death but this is rarely so sudden especially in a large animal like a bear .

Bow Hunters often miss target and have to track their prey while it bleeds out. The government doesnt check the accuracy capabilities of hunters when they give out licenses and tags.

People are just in ire because someone video taped this incident.

baiting should be banned, not spear hunting

The argument for baiting being more humane is it allows hunters to get close range and a clean kill as well as be more selective in choosing what to kill (ie not a female with cubs). It's not allowed everywhere.

IMO spear hunting is inhumane, maybe not if your a former competitive javelin thrower like this guy, but in general I just don't like it. Not a fan of bow hunting either.

The argument for baiting being more humane is it allows hunters to get close range and a clean kill as well as be more selective in choosing what to kill (ie not a female with cubs).

IMO spear hunting is inhumane, maybe not if your a former competitive javelin thrower like this guy, but in general I just don't like it.

no, you're right. upon further reflection/getting more serious, i agree with you. at the same time, however, i find baiting to be terrible. guys bait for months, wait in a field for an hour, and then get their kill. . . is it really hunting? you can pay a rancher to kill a deer in an enclosed area and you're getting the same experience.

Well, without knowing who to believe--the writer saying it took all night to die or the hunter saying it died "immediately"--I don't know whether I should be outraged or not.
Well it was 55 yards away . Youre supposed to track your kill as soon as possible to make sure it dies rather than suffer . He didnt do that . Hes apparently an experienced hunter so he should have known that .

People will not pay thousands of dollars to go hunting and not shoot anything . Its kind of paramount to the hunting industry . Personally i rather get rid of spears .

get rid of baiting. get rid of spearing, too, i guess, but in all my time hunting, i have never heard of one of my friends going "spearing."

Assuming that Bear was not caged, injured, or sick that is a pretty impressive feat.

I remember a rumor being floated that in Russia it is manly as fuck to trap a bears head with a Y shaped pole or something and then kill the bear with a knife and take out its heart and eat it.

Alpha as fuck. Wasn't the rumor that Aleksandr Emelienanko killed a bear with a knife?

hqdefault.jpg

^^badass!!

In any case Canada is becoming a land of pussies!!!

I know, my point still stands.

get rid of baiting. get rid of spearing, too, i guess, but in all my time hunting, i have never heard of one of my friends going "spearing."
I believe that is because its dangerous . I think the animal can end up attacking you if you only minor injure it . Its usually done from a tree which is why theis guy was so excited about hitting the bear from the ground .

I can't stand the talk of hunting on here. There's just to many people who have no understanding of hunting and make the most ignorant comments with no basis. Just an endless barrage of city boy liberals. It sickens me. I want Hillary to beat trump btw. I'm not a Fucking republican.

The above comment had nothing to do with this topic. Just hunting in general.

People are just in ire because someone video taped this incident.

No its because this is the least accurate weapon to hunt with . It has an extremely high probablity of wounding the animal but not killing it .

No its because this is the least accurate weapon to hunt with . It has an extremely high probablity of wounding the animal but not killing it .

show me the probability of wounding vs kill rate of spears v other weapons...

you cant because you don't have statistics to back up your claim.

Back