Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

Pipelines? I'm assuming you're against them, but for what reason?

According to the NEB, these pipelines spilled an average of about 1,084 barrels per year between 2011 and 2014.

According to the NEB, these pipelines spilled an average of about 1,084 barrels per year between 2011 and 2014.
Do you think shipping fossil fuels from overseas is less harmful to the environment?

Environmentalism, indigenous issues (UNDRIP), pipelines, healthcare, pharmacare, education.

Where will the money for pharmacare come from? Don’t get me wrong, I too would love for all my drugs to be paid for, but universal pharmacare would cost billions.

Can't wait to walk into that voting station and put in a vote for the People's Party of Canada.

I've talked a bunch of undecided voters into voting PPC, too. Even a couple of Conservative voters.

WAR BERNIER and LONG LIVE THE PPC!

Thank you for your vote - Liberals

Do you think shipping fossil fuels from overseas is less harmful to the environment?

I'll just add in here that Canada importing oil from places like KSA it is not really about what is more or less harmful to the environment. It is about economics.

Eastern refineries like Irving Oil in Saint John (proposed destination for Energy East) are geared to process light oil from the Mid East. They could get heavy Alberta oil by rail but they don't want it, they want the cheap stuff they were built to handle. If there was a pipeline east it is not even evident that they would want the oil as they've been very clear they will not sign binding contracts to take dilbit. They don't even want cheap Bakken shale oil, they want the cheap cheap cheap stuff from overseas. A pipeline east is only worth it if refiners spend billions to upgrade their facilities, which they won't do.

I'll just add in here that Canada importing oil from places like KSA it is not really about what is more or less harmful to the environment. It is about economics.

Eastern refineries like Irving Oil in Saint John (proposed destination for Energy East) are geared to process light oil from the Mid East. They could get heavy Alberta oil by rail but they don't want it, they want the cheap stuff they were built to handle. If there was a pipeline east it is not even evident that they would want the oil as they've been very clear they will not sign binding contracts to take dilbit. They don't even want cheap Bakken shale oil, they want the cheap cheap cheap stuff from overseas. A pipeline east is only worth it if refiners spend billions to upgrade their facilities, which they won't do.
That's why we need viable, lasting refineries on the prairies. Yeah, fossil fuels are going to be phased out, and I'm for going renewable, but in the meanwhile the economy needs to keep going and we need the money to fund green research.

That's why we need viable, lasting refineries on the prairies. Yeah, fossil fuels are going to be phased out, and I'm for going renewable, but in the meanwhile the economy needs to keep going and we need the money to fund green research.

There is so much refining capacity in N America it might not make sense to that though. We will just end up with a gasoline glut instead an oil one. It made sense to build refineries in Alberta 20-30 years ago, but today the market it so complicated, so oversupplied, so cornered (by American refiners), we may have just missed the boat entirely.

The latest refinery in Alberta is the Redwater Sturgeon plant that began operating in 2018 and that only came to fruition with big government handouts in the form of loans and commitments to process royalty bitumen at a discount.

Refineries are super expensive to build so they look down the road many many years to see if it is viable. If the long term outlook is for renewables to displace traditional energy then building multi billion dollar mega projects that will run for decades is a hard sell. I think that is true reason we have seen so many international oil companies get out of the tar sands, not because of lack of pipeline capacity but because there are less expensive flexible short term plays like shale out there. Lack of pipelines is just a convenient palatable excuse for them.

Trudeau's views change with whatever views are fashionable at the moment. The coward is only saying this because Scheer was getting dumped on for his views on abortion. Though, I doubt he was ever personally opposed to abortion. He just wanted to have a toe in the water of the Catholic vote.

Trudeau declares he’s no longer personally opposed to abortion

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau created a stir in the media last week when he declared he no longer personally opposes abortion — a view he presumably once held because of his Catholic faith.

“I don’t think it it is actually coherent or consistent for someone to say that they are pro-choice — particularly a man — to say that they are pro-choice but don’t like abortion,” he added.

“I evolved past that particular perspective. I continue to be and will always be fully pro-choice, but I no longer feel that I can or need to say that I’m against abortion. That’s not for me as a man to say. I will always be pro-choice,” said Trudeau.

Trudeau “seems to be dropping even the pretence of being ‘personally opposed’ to abortion and appears to be rejecting the idea that unborn human life itself is deserving of any protection at all,” observed [Dr. Edward] Peters, who teaches canon law at Detroit’s Sacred Heart Major Seminary.

As Liberal leader, Trudeau banned anyone who was vocally pro-life from running as a Liberal Party candidate, and as prime minister has made access to abortion the cornerstone of the his government’s foreign and domestic policy, including earmarking $7.1 billion by 2030 to fund and promote abortion as part of Canada’s international aid.

Pro-life politicians buckling under growing hostility
Trudeau’s latest assertion can reasonably be seen as his attempt to score political points in a bare-knuckles, neck-and-neck fight against his greatest threat, Conservative leader Andrew Scheer.

It also underscores a growing hostility in Canada’s media political elites, and the culture itself, toward politicians who dare to even think abortion is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trudeau's views change with whatever views are fashionable at the moment. The coward is only saying this because Scheer was getting dumped on for his views on abortion. Though, I doubt he was ever personally opposed to abortion. He just wanted to have a toe in the water of the Catholic vote.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau created a stir in the media last week when he declared he no longer personally opposes abortion — a view he presumably once held because of his Catholic faith.

“I don’t think it it is actually coherent or consistent for someone to say that they are pro-choice — particularly a man — to say that they are pro-choice but don’t like abortion,” he added.

“I evolved past that particular perspective. I continue to be and will always be fully pro-choice, but I no longer feel that I can or need to say that I’m against abortion. That’s not for me as a man to say. I will always be pro-choice,” said Trudeau.

Trudeau “seems to be dropping even the pretence of being ‘personally opposed’ to abortion and appears to be rejecting the idea that unborn human life itself is deserving of any protection at all,” observed [Dr. Edward] Peters, who teaches canon law at Detroit’s Sacred Heart Major Seminary.

As Liberal leader, Trudeau banned anyone who was vocally pro-life from running as a Liberal Party candidate, and as prime minister has made access to abortion the cornerstone of the his government’s foreign and domestic policy, including earmarking $7.1 billion by 2030 to fund and promote abortion as part of Canada’s international aid.

Trudeau’s latest assertion can reasonably be seen as his attempt to score political points in a bare-knuckles, neck-and-neck fight against his greatest threat, Conservative leader Andrew Scheer.

It also underscores a growing hostility in Canada’s media political elites, and the culture itself, toward politicians who dare to even think abortion is wrong.

As a former fetus, I have some thoughts on the abortion debate.

I doubt this is true in the next century, unless there is a strong commitment to nuclear power.

I know most of you don't like to read, but I've been haunted by this article ever since I read it; I worry that we really do lack vitality and the ability to actually enable people to accomplish worthwhile endeavours rather than hinder them: https://palladiummag.com/2019/09/19/how-not-to-build-a-country-canadas-late-soviet-pessimism/.

A small excerpt:

Canada is a holdout of Brezhnevism. T———’s apparatchiks aren’t very different from their Soviet predecessors: frail old men in buffoonishly baggy suits from the 1990s, complete with black (Volga-like) sedans and dachas in the countryside. When they aren’t vacationing in said dachas, their main occupation is making sure that things are as stable as possible, which realistically means making sure nothing new ever happens.

Americans with left-leaning sympathies point to Canada as a model to emulate for a progressive and fair society. But Canada is, and has always been, an oligarchy where the ruling families—the Saputos, Demarais, Reichmans, etc.—have relied on their own Brezhnevites to preserve their wealth by shielding them not just from competition, but from any kind of change.

The key to acquiring wealth in this country is creating bottlenecks by saturating public and private institutions with members of this class. Thanks to their valiant efforts, the Canadian economic model is a madhouse where apparent opposites are simultaneously true. Anyone who’s worked in developing economies knows that the right sort of corruption is a blessing, at least in the short-term: for a few greenbacks more, you can shrink processes that take months down to a few days. In Canada, the same process seems to exist to slow down development. Both governmental and private sector projects are always severely over-budget and late by ridiculous timeframes. Internationally promoted as an open and transparent economy, anyone in the thick of it encounters a culture of eerily systematic structural barriers. Spend enough time in it, and your mind begins to wander off to very different comparisons.

This election has not encouraged me to believe we have leaders capable of rising to the challenge of actually building a better Canada and addressing the real challenges that Canada is going to face. And even if our putative leaders are more than they seem, and are simply pandering to the electorate because that is what one must do to be elected, then what does that say of us?

Maybe I'm getting old, but I worry.

Goodness is in combat with pure evil. They want the sacrifices to Moloch to continue. They attack all things associated with Christ.

offer-up-child-on-altar-of-baal-molech-2-color.jpg

Nothing to thank me for - us PPC voters aren't going to offset the huge chunk of voters the Blackface Boss is going to lose to the NDP and Green Party
Those two combined parties won’t even come close to the liberal vote, the only hope is the cons.

This is potentially worse than a liberal majority. The greens and the NDP have a number of policies that - if they’re workable at all - will cost billions of dollars, and their only answer on how to pay for those is “more taxes on the rich and corporations” (newsflash guys: people and corporations are actually free to leave Canada which they might do if you’re going to use them for funding your pie in the sky projects like national pharma and dental care). Then there’s the far left stance on social issues which are cornerstones of both platforms. If the Liberals form a minority and have to team up with the NDP or the Greens (or both), these utopian economic policies and far left social policies will work their way into legislation to some degree over the next few years. The liberals at least want to build a pipeline...the NDP wants to give each province veto powers over projects like pipelines, effectively ensuring that there will never be another pipeline built in Canada.

I’m worried the conservatives are done. Their platform is the most practical, but they’re doing a piss poor job of properly getting that message out to Canadians and Scheer has remained just as uninspiring a leader throughout this campaign as before.

What we’ll get is a government obsessed with solving climate change, reconciliation and further expanding our Medicare system which is already a massive burden on the budget. Seriously, if you count the Conservatives out (hopefully they’re not) you might be better off hoping for a Liberal majority than the SJW Frankenmonster that would be the alliance of the Canadian left.
Well, thank you for making me feel depressed on a Saturday.

Ffs I feel like punching him just by reading his fucking quotes. He's so unbelievably insincere, constantly overacting and pandering. It's nauseating.

I doubt this is true in the next century, unless there is a strong commitment to nuclear power.
Perhaps not, but we need to make the effort to clean our act up. And I'll take evolution over revolution when it comes to making changes in order to meet our energy needs.

The CBC writing a story about the CBC suing the conservative party.

CBC taking Conservative Party to court over online election ad

The CBC is taking the Conservative Party of Canada to court for using the broadcaster's footage in an online advertisement.

In a legal application to the Federal Court of Canada, the CBC served notice it wants the Conservative Party of Canada and its executive director, Dustin Van Vugt, to acknowledge the party "engaged in the unauthorized use of copyright-protected material."

CBC-Radio Canada named the journalists in the lawsuit, according to the statement, "because their images and journalism were misused for partisan purposes negatively impacting perceptions of their independence."

tumblr_pzamenXLol1spilbpo1_540.png

The CBC writing a story about the CBC suing the conservative party.

CBC taking Conservative Party to court over online election ad

The CBC is taking the Conservative Party of Canada to court for using the broadcaster's footage in an online advertisement.

In a legal application to the Federal Court of Canada, the CBC served notice it wants the Conservative Party of Canada and its executive director, Dustin Van Vugt, to acknowledge the party "engaged in the unauthorized use of copyright-protected material."

CBC-Radio Canada named the journalists in the lawsuit, according to the statement, "because their images and journalism were misused for partisan purposes negatively impacting perceptions of their independence."
Our tax dollars hard at work. I have the complete opposite opinion of someone ITT, let's get the CBC off the tit and let them live or die on the vine like any other news or media entity.

CBC and Rosemary Barton are suing Conservative Party of Canada for copyright infringement

The lawsuit was filed on Thursday and argues the CPC violated the moral rights of CBC journalists John Paul Tasker and Rosemary Barton and its use of CBC content could confuse viewers to believe the public broadcaster is biased for the Conservatives, which goes against the public braodcaster’s mandate.

...many Canadians have instead been accusing the CBC of being biased for the Trudeau Liberals, including the journalism of Barton herself, who has a history of showing favouritism for the Liberal leader and his government, including taking an affectionate selfie with Trudeau to share on social media as well as asking him friendly frivolous questions in an end of year interview in 2018.

[Peter] Mansbridge himself has been questioned for his partiality for the Liberals after his fawning interview with Trudeau the day he was sworn in as PM and his close friendship with Liberal partisan Bruce Anderson, who he regularly had on The National when he was the host.

CBC journalist and parliamentary press gallery member Katie Simpson, for example, was questioned on why she would use a picture of a smiling Trudeau as her background on Twitter. (She’s since changed it.)

During the 2015 election, Trudeau promised the CBC an additional $150 million annually to its well over a billion it receives in government subsidies annually.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/c...e-party-of-canada-for-copyright-infringement/

CBC journalist Katie Simpson's twitter background (eventually changed):

EGkKjo7U8AA6iiT.jpg

Little Piggie Rosie was quick to re-tweet this once she learned her beloved liberals were behind in the polls:

Edit: It looks like the Tweet is unavailable. Luckily, I have a screen shot:

tumblr_pzbk5cgxHs1spilbpo1_540.png

Back