Economy ***Canadian Budget Announced***

Should Kinder Morgan be able to build and own pipelines in Canada?
Why is the focus on housing alone and not Canada's valuable natural resources?
Is there a point where Canada is considered another Cuba or Venezuela in this regard?

Should Kinder Morgan be able to build and own pipelines in Canada?
Why is the focus on housing alone and not Canada's valuable natural resources?
Is there a point where Canada is considered another Cuba or Venezuela in this regard?

The focus is on housing b/c a vast majority of Canadians living in the major markets can no longer afford to buy a house.

And yes, we will be a 3rd world nation in 20 years. Our federal Liberals doubled our national debt in 5ish years with no signs of slowing down nor people giving a fuck.

The focus is on housing b/c a vast majority of Canadians living in the major markets can no longer afford to buy a house.

And yes, we will be a 3rd world nation in 20 years. Our federal Liberals doubled our national debt in 5ish years with no signs of slowing down nor people giving a fuck.
Why not set your sights higher than simply affording a house through housing price controls? Canada is perhaps the richest country in the world in terms of natural resources per inhabitant. Why can't the average Canadian be wealthier than the average Swiss?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult

When I made the comparison to Cuba and Venezuela, I meant in terms of where limitations by government on foreign ownership becomes problematical in terms of diplomacy by foreign military intervention.

what do you consider bad about it?
Looks like a transition to a welfare state or at best a person who keeps taking bad loans.

Very little to actually create industries and sustainable jobs growth when compared to the funding going to stimulus and temporary fixes. Canadians have abused the cerb, crb and ceba!
A lot of the recipients are undeserving and there is no clawback plan.

They let housing market go unchecked again, the entire Canadian home financing system is like US pre 2008. At best a creator of further disparity in wealth and at worst a bubble going unchecked.

no wealth tax. To buy rich votes. A lot of lower income and elderly supports for further votes. Not much for for middle class. Immigration and foreign funds coming in can only take you so far. Canada needs major industries and sustainability.

Why not set your sights higher than simply affording a house through housing price controls? Canada is perhaps the richest country in the world in terms of natural resources per inhabitant. Why can't the average Canadian be wealthier than the average Swiss?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult

When I made the comparison to Cuba and Venezuela, I meant in terms of where limitations by government on foreign ownership becomes problematical in terms of diplomacy by foreign military intervention.

That question is way above my paygrade.

As someone who's been working on government housing projects the last two years... the amount of wasted money is insane. Let's spend an extra 2 million on this building for no reason other than the government is footing the bill and our company has the ok to do whatever we want.

Last one housed 16 people at a cost of 14 mil.

Looks like a transition to a welfare state or at best a person who keeps taking bad loans.

Very little to actually create industries and sustainable jobs growth when compared to the funding going to stimulus and temporary fixes. Canadians have abused the cerb, crb and ceba!
A lot of the recipients are undeserving and there is no clawback plan.

They let housing market go unchecked again, the entire Canadian home financing system is like US pre 2008. At best a creator of further disparity in wealth and at worst a bubble going unchecked.

no wealth tax. To buy rich votes. A lot of lower income and elderly supports for further votes. Not much for for middle class. Immigration and foreign funds coming in can only take you so far. Canada needs major industries and sustainability.

they are investing in to education and skills training and setting up tech for small/medium businesses

they are taxing non residents

they are investing in to education and skills training and setting up tech for small/medium businesses

they are taxing non residents
What percentage of the total budget is actually going to skills training and setting tech up? I do completely agreethose are great and very vital initiatives but what piece of the pie is going to them in comparison to the dishing out cash in welfare and stimulus to buy votes?

taxing non residents? that one percent tax is on vacant properties only. Not if you rent out a property.

What percentage of the total budget is actually going to skills training and setting tech up? I do completely agreethose are great and very vital initiatives but what piece of the pie is going to them in comparison to the dishing out cash in welfare and stimulus to buy votes?

taxing non residents? that one percent tax is on vacant properties only. Not if you rent out a property.
i actually don't know the year over year comparison, but at least there's a conscious decision to invest there

i also see day affordable day care as a net positive for society (even though it sucks for me, that i had to pay a few years back with my two children)

As someone who's been working on government housing projects the last two years... the amount of wasted money is insane. Let's spend an extra 2 million on this building for no reason other than the government is footing the bill and our company has the ok to do whatever we want.

Last one housed 16 people at a cost of 14 mil.
Cost overruns in government gigs, you don't say?

$40,000,000,000 just to service the debt is bad, no?
It's relative to your ability to service that debt

I'm not enamored with the budget, but I'm trying to see the big picture, they are focus on developing and growing for the future

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...urce=LI&li_medium=thestar_recommended_for_you

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/bud...new-spending-with-deficit-declining-1.5393525

Yesterday the Canadian government announced its budget, lots of spending, but also with a declining deficit

The budget— titled “A Recovery Plan for Jobs, Growth, and Resilience”— shows that the federal deficit is projected to sit at $354.2 billion for the year that just ended, with it slated to drop to $154.7 billion in the current 2021-22 fiscal year.

• Extending emergency supports to bridge Canadians and Canadian businesses through to recovery, including extending the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy and Lockdown Support until Sept. 25, 2021. Extending the number of weeks available for important income support for Canadians such as the Canada Recovery Benefit and the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit. (COVID help)
  • $12 billion over five years to increase Old Age Security for seniors age 75 and older to provide them with better financial security. (OLD PEOPLE VOTE)
  • $2.2 billion in biomanufacturing and life-sciences to build back a homegrown drug treatment and vaccine industry. (a little late, but I guess better than never)
  • Expand the Canada Workers Benefit, to invest $8.9 billion over six years for low-wage workers.
  • Introduce a $15 an hour federal minimum wage, expected to benefit 26,000 workers in federally-regulated private sector jobs. (Ontario already at $14)
  • $5.7 billion over five years to aid young Canadians, whether students, recent graduates or trainees, or skilled tradespeople. Includes doubling student grants for two additional years, more student debt relief through a reformed Canada Student Loans Program and money to bolster job training and placements and skills development. It eyes creating 215,000 training and work opportunities for youth
  • Up to $30 billion over five years, reaching $8.3 billion every year, permanently, to build a high-quality, affordable and accessible early learning and child-care system across Canada. Ottawa says it wants to reduce fees for parents with children in regulated child care by 50 per cent on average, by 2022, with a goal of reaching $10 per day on average by 2026, everywhere outside of Quebec, which already has such a program.
  • $4 billion to help up to 160,000 small- and medium-sized businesses buy and adopt the new technologies they need to grow. A Canada Digital Adoption Program will train 28,000 Canadians — a Canadian technology corps — and send them out to work with small- and medium-sized businesses. (Good to see a focus on small and medium businesses)
  • Invest $17.6 billion “in a green recovery that will help Canada to reach its target to conserve 25 per cent of Canada’s lands and oceans by 2025, exceed its Paris climate targets and reduce emissions by 36 per cent below 2005 levels by 2030, and move forward on a path to reach net-zero emission by 2050.” The budget said this includes $5 billion over seven years (on top of $3 billion committed in December), starting in 2021-22, in the Net Zero Accelerator, a plan to help achieve GHG emissions reductions of 36 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030. Ottawa said this will put Canada on a path to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. New tax measures will support the development of zero emissions technology, carbon capture and storage, and green hydrogen.
  • New spending of $2.5 billion and reallocate $1.3 billion in existing funding to help build, repair and support 35,000 existing housing units.
  • On Jan. 1, 2022, Ottawa will introduce Canada’s first national tax on vacant property owned by non-resident, non-Canadians. (good to see this in place, hopefully making housing a little more affordable)

To me it's just an election budget, more buying our votes with our own damn money.

17.9 billion into the "green economy" abyss.

I am glad they are increasing the tax on vaping products. Tax all those white Oakley wearing fucks into oblivion.

Economics major with a degree here. Not impressed with spending 1/3rd of a trillion on a country with 38m people. Feels awful tbh.

Is it too late to get a refund from wherever you got that from ?
Because......

{<doc}

Fuck-all for the middle class...........again. we just get to pay.

When there are more hands receiving benefits than paying, you have a government that can't be toppled. We're there.

Back