Canada's capability in striking/stand up based sports?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Since Canada is going to be a large part of discussions on worldwide MMA stars, especially in the wake of GSP's departure and questions on how exactly is gonna fill his shoes among Canadian MMA fighters, I figured I would also ask this in the standup forum specifically in regards to striking based combat sports. Canada is not really on world level in the majority of grappling based sports so I figured here I would ask if they are on world level in any striking based combat sports for men and for women on the Stand Up forum. I think this is could be fundamental in determining of Canada can have more world beaters in MMA and WMMA. I was wondering what striking sports do they have individual men and women who are at the same level as elite competitors of other nations. For example, in Muay Thai, kickboxing, boxing, international point karate [not counting American point karate of course],knockdown karate and ITW or WTK Tae Kwon Do, is there any combat sport where Canada produces individual fighters who are as good as the most elite fighters from Japan, Russia and Europe?

Matt Embree, Sean Kearney, and Simon Marcus are the first three Canadians in MT i think of.
Edit: Missed Shoalin Shane Campbell!!

Canadas combat sport of choice is MMA, In terms of kickboxing they're probably better than the US (speaking from anecdotal experiences) but they're not an elite country in that regard by any stretch.

Back