Canada removes Sir John A. Macdonald statue (Canada's founding father)

If anyone ever gets a chance to study classics you cant always look at things through current cultural relevatism.
You have to look at it through the lens of the time period.

John a macdonald is a bit of a cunt, but also not.

It is possible to condemn and move on from negative actions that affect us and replace it while still allowing history to be engrained in society. We should celebrate our abilities to improve policies and reflect on history rather than tear everything down, otherwise, we are not allowed any statues or monuments. I can find fault with virtually any historical figure that is praised today, to a point of vilification even.

Ffs leave shit alone (im not a fan of john a mac either).

Side note: there used to be a time where even hated and sworn enemies respected each other. This honor among differences has been lost.
I don't think you ignore history but I absolutely agree you have to remove the lens of relativism and trying to judge individuals or societies by today's standards. Very little in history will pass under that type of lens.

That said, that does not mean that as we live, learn and evolve we cannot reconsider the actions of those that got us here under the context of not condemning them but learning from them.

And we should avoid the extremes on all sides.

I think few would argue that statues and monuments to Hitler should have remained because at one point his people thought him a great leader. Things can and should be reconsidered in some circumstance and even Hitler statues do have a place even if only in War Memorial museums as part of the education but as I said prior we must avoid the wholesale condemnation of individuals who reflected the broader society of yesteryear when that entire society was not as evolved or enlightened (or whatever words you want to use) as we are today. Sir John A with a simple plaque added noting the good he did but the challenges that persist for the next level of politicians to sort out, would probably go along way.

I won't say you're wrong though
The level of ridiculousness he spews sometimes makes me wonder if he's just a shill. If he is, he's an effective one.

The level of ridiculousness he spews sometimes makes me wonder if he's just a shill. If he is, he's an effective one.
Maybe, hopefully he'll see the light someday.

Jeeze, do you guys fill your diaries with essays about me??

You guys act like I say things that are so extreme when they are pretty common opinions.

We need to just find a new name for the country imo. It's not Canada anymore. Just call it LGBTIslamChina and be done with it.

Jeeze, do you guys fill your diaries with essays about me??

You guys act like I say things that are so extreme when they are pretty common opinions.

Yea common in your echochamber of fluff and group think.

Back