Canada removes Sir John A. Macdonald statue (Canada's founding father)

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Scheme, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Scheme

Scheme Brown Belt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...uncil-vote-macdonald-statue-removal-1.4779506

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...nald-statue-victoria-native-council-1.4780048

He was the first prime minister of Caanda, served as prime minister for 19 years, and appears on our $10 bill.

He is often considered one of the greatest prime minister that Canada has ever had ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Canada ).

Beware, for it is not long before this plague reaches America and you guys begin denouncing all your founding fathers.

2. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Steel Belt

Too white?
    Funny when sensitivity trumps history.

And it is already plaguing America....

I give it 5 years before mt. Rushmore is demolished...I'm only half kidding.

3. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

But it is ok for the Royal Family and Queen to be on currency because British imperialism did nothing wrong. By this standard, all European history should come down.

Bring it all down. Rednecks.

Elvis was a hero to most
    But he never meant shit to me you see
    Straight up racist that sucker was
    Simple and plain
    Mother fuck him and John Wayne
    'Cause I'm Black and I'm proud
    I'm ready and hyped plus I'm amped
    Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps
    Sample a look back you look and find
    Nothing but rednecks for four hundred years if you check

irish_thug and Wet Blanket like this.
  4. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

But you have the Queen on your money.....

5. tinker_190

tinker_190 Brown Belt

By that standard, the entire history of human kind is worth forgetting.

"Sample a look back and you'll find
    Nothing but rednecks for four hundred years if you check"

.... yeah let's just forget all the advances of the Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution

6. Rygu

Rygu Red Belt Platinum Member

What a fantastic idea. I mean the best way to avoid history repeating itself is to erase it right?

George Orwell was so ahead of his time.

7. CWMMA

CWMMA Purple Belt

So the disease has spread north? Sorry Canada, really.

8. salamander

salamander Promethium Belt

Johnny Mac got banned again. smh

ShinkanPo, irish_thug and Fawlty like this.
  9. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

without public consolation as well.

10. IDL

IDL Gold Belt

Not all European history, all history across the board.

edit: oops someone beat me to the obvious

11. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Moral Reform

It is rather bizarre how the narrative now is that absolutely nothing good came of white people in the past coming to what is now known as Canada and building into the wonderful country it is today. A country where people from all over the world want to leave their countries to live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sangreporsangre

sangreporsangre Gold Belt

If the city of Victoria thinks that Sir John has such a shameful legacy on human rights that his statue needs to come down, what are they gonna do about the name of the city? I would think that Queen Victoria would be "problematic" by the standards of the day, especially since she was the head of state at the time of Confederation and while Macdonald was PM.

13. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

If anyone ever gets a chance to study classics you cant always look at things through current cultural relevatism.
    You have to look at it through the lens of the time period.

John a macdonald is a bit of a cunt, but also not.

It is possible to condemn and move on from negative actions that affect us and replace it while still allowing history to be engrained in society. We should celebrate our abilities to improve policies and reflect on history rather than tear everything down, otherwise, we are not allowed any statues or monuments. I can find fault with virtually any historical figure that is praised today, to a point of vilification even.

Ffs leave shit alone (im not a fan of john a mac either).

Side note: there used to be a time where even hated and sworn enemies respected each other. This honor among differences has been lost.

Vitamin C and HockeyBjj like this.
  14. dontsnitch

dontsnitch Steel Belt

This plague came from America.

15. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Saying "Too white?" is the same type of 'sensitivity 'on one side of this debate that hurts constructive dialogue just as we see in the reactionary 'all symbols must come down' side. Neither is productive.

I am not in favour of removing historical artifices like that statue. it is an important part of our history. But I think being open to their placement and also maybe using them to tell a story of both the positive and negative sides of issues via a plaque or other could certainly be fair.

(and I am guessing and the article linked supports it, that it is not the ones affected (in this case indigenous) who are calling for the removal but rather it is Pooboo's (People Offended on Behalf of Others) who are doing so, which tends to be the case more often than not.)

16. Ripskater

Ripskater Johnny Mac's friend Yellow Card

It's already happened. The far left gets triggered at statues and memorials to our founding fathers and important men that shaped our history.

Much of it happened after Trump got elected. TDS is what they call it.

17. MikeMcMann

MikeMcMann Gold Belt

Where are you seeing that narrative that "absolutely nothing good came of white people in the past coming to what is now known as Canada..."

Here is the crux of what is in the articles linked above which is a far more nuanced position that recognizes the good but also wants consideration for those that were hurt and left behind in getting there. You can see it is not the indigenous calling for removal...

"Hamel said when people see Macdonald on his bench, they should "remember that yes, under his leadership, we did form a country here, but also remind ourselves that some of his policies were not that good, did not bring about the country we probably hoped it would."

"Remind ourselves that together, now, today, we can make a change moving forward. We can make things different for our children today."

.."By removing it, we think that's diminishing, sometimes, what has happened. But if we allow it to stay there, we can address it. We can say, 'This was not right, we need to come together."

"We should not lose sight of our history so that we may learn from the mistakes that may have been made by our past politicians and leaders," the society's chairman, Michael Francis, said in a written statement.

"Sometimes an appropriate location of a statute with a suitable plaque to reflect the strengths and weaknesses on the individual may be far more instructive for all of us than its simple obliteration from the landscape."

18. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Yellow Card Yellow Card

White people need to start having some pride, and standing up against this crap. Gay, liberal, democrat.. Them too. Have little pride, and intellectual honesty for God sake. It's time.

Ultra O’Dia likes this.
  19. Wet Blanket

Wet Blanket Totally Radical Left Wing Vegan Misanthrope

Another one bites the dust!

Let's keep pulling em down.

tonni and Ares Black like this.
  20. Ripskater

Ripskater Johnny Mac's friend Yellow Card

I think a lot of white Trump voters got tired of all the leftist talk of white privilege and white guilt mentality. But the white guilt is still really popular with the left.

And this is partly why Trump got elected. People got tired of the Democrat lines about racist misogynist white people. Especially white men.