Canada removes Sir John A. Macdonald statue (Canada's founding father)

Scheme

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...uncil-vote-macdonald-statue-removal-1.4779506

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...nald-statue-victoria-native-council-1.4780048

Legions of tourists and Islanders alike have had their picture taken with Sir John A. Macdonald on his bench at the corner of Victoria Row and Queen Street over the years.

The City of Charlottetown says it has no plans to remove the statue, nor have they had any complaints, after the city of Victoria, B.C. decided to take down their Macdonald statue.

Jonathan Hamel, intergovernmental affairs coordinator for the Native Council of P.E.I., says Macdonald's legacy is complex and that there are better ways to achieve reconciliation.

"A lot of the policies his government formed when Canada became a country [are] having a negative impact upon Canada's Indigenous population today," Hamel said.

'We can say, "this was not right"'
"We also realize that being a founding father of Canada and the fact that the idea of Canada was actually born here in Charlottetown, those are important things to remember and celebrate as well."

Hamel understands why some people want statues of Macdonald to be taken down, but said leaving them up still allows for conversations about Aboriginal history and action to ensure a better future.

"By removing it, we think that's diminishing, sometimes, what has happened. But if we allow it to stay there, we can address it. We can say, 'This was not right, we need to come together."

Reconciliation a 'very complex idea'
It's a topic that requires a collaborative discussion and education on numerous fronts, Hamel said.

"Reconciliation is a very complex idea. How do we bring that about? It's not just saying we'll ... remove the reminders of our colonial past and that way we'll fix the problem. No, it has to be multi-faceted."

Housing and health-care issues are among the challenges Indigenous people face today, he said.

'We can make things different for our children'
The Native Council represents Aboriginal people living off-reserve, and Hamel said he'd like to see their perspective included in the conversation alongside status Indians, Inuit and Métis people.

sir-john-a-statue.png

Some of Macdonald's policies in the country's early days are having 'a negative impact upon Canada's Indigenous population today,' says Jonathan Hamel. (Brian Higgins/CBC)
Hamel said when people see Macdonald on his bench, they should "remember that yes, under his leadership, we did form a country here, but also remind ourselves that some of his policies were not that good, did not bring about the country we probably hoped it would."

"Remind ourselves that together, now, today, we can make a change moving forward. We can make things different for our children today."

He was the first prime minister of Caanda, served as prime minister for 19 years, and appears on our $10 bill.

He is often considered one of the greatest prime minister that Canada has ever had ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Canada ).

Beware, for it is not long before this plague reaches America and you guys begin denouncing all your founding fathers.

Too white?
Funny when sensitivity trumps history.

And it is already plaguing America....

I give it 5 years before mt. Rushmore is demolished...I'm only half kidding.

But it is ok for the Royal Family and Queen to be on currency because British imperialism did nothing wrong. By this standard, all European history should come down.

Bring it all down. Rednecks.

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Mother fuck him and John Wayne
'Cause I'm Black and I'm proud
I'm ready and hyped plus I'm amped
Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps
Sample a look back you look and find
Nothing but rednecks for four hundred years if you check

But you have the Queen on your money.....

But it is ok for the Royal Family and Queen to be on currency because British imperialism did nothing wrong. By this standard, all European history should come down.

By that standard, the entire history of human kind is worth forgetting.

"Sample a look back and you'll find
Nothing but rednecks for four hundred years if you check"

.... yeah let's just forget all the advances of the Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution

What a fantastic idea. I mean the best way to avoid history repeating itself is to erase it right?

George Orwell was so ahead of his time.

So the disease has spread north? Sorry Canada, really.

Not all European history, all history across the board.

edit: oops someone beat me to the obvious

It is rather bizarre how the narrative now is that absolutely nothing good came of white people in the past coming to what is now known as Canada and building into the wonderful country it is today. A country where people from all over the world want to leave their countries to live.

images

fcb407068fc65b9dd9c2a3de2c11ee21.gif

If the city of Victoria thinks that Sir John has such a shameful legacy on human rights that his statue needs to come down, what are they gonna do about the name of the city? I would think that Queen Victoria would be "problematic" by the standards of the day, especially since she was the head of state at the time of Confederation and while Macdonald was PM.

If anyone ever gets a chance to study classics you cant always look at things through current cultural relevatism.
You have to look at it through the lens of the time period.

John a macdonald is a bit of a cunt, but also not.

It is possible to condemn and move on from negative actions that affect us and replace it while still allowing history to be engrained in society. We should celebrate our abilities to improve policies and reflect on history rather than tear everything down, otherwise, we are not allowed any statues or monuments. I can find fault with virtually any historical figure that is praised today, to a point of vilification even.

Ffs leave shit alone (im not a fan of john a mac either).

Side note: there used to be a time where even hated and sworn enemies respected each other. This honor among differences has been lost.

Too white?
Funny when sensitivity trumps history.

And it is already plaguing America....

I give it 5 years before mt. Rushmore is demolished...I'm only half kidding.
Saying "Too white?" is the same type of 'sensitivity 'on one side of this debate that hurts constructive dialogue just as we see in the reactionary 'all symbols must come down' side. Neither is productive.

I am not in favour of removing historical artifices like that statue. it is an important part of our history. But I think being open to their placement and also maybe using them to tell a story of both the positive and negative sides of issues via a plaque or other could certainly be fair.

(and I am guessing and the article linked supports it, that it is not the ones affected (in this case indigenous) who are calling for the removal but rather it is Pooboo's (People Offended on Behalf of Others) who are doing so, which tends to be the case more often than not.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...uncil-vote-macdonald-statue-removal-1.4779506

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...nald-statue-victoria-native-council-1.4780048

He was the first prime minister of Caanda, served as prime minister for 19 years, and appears on our $10 bill.

He is often considered one of the greatest prime minister that Canada has ever had ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Canada ).

Beware, for it is not long before this plague reaches America and you guys begin denouncing all your founding fathers.
It's already happened. The far left gets triggered at statues and memorials to our founding fathers and important men that shaped our history.

Much of it happened after Trump got elected. TDS is what they call it.

It is rather bizarre how the narrative now is that absolutely nothing good came of white people in the past coming to what is now known as Canada and building into the wonderful country it is today. A country where people from all over the world want to leave their countries to live.

images

fcb407068fc65b9dd9c2a3de2c11ee21.gif

Where are you seeing that narrative that "absolutely nothing good came of white people in the past coming to what is now known as Canada..."

Here is the crux of what is in the articles linked above which is a far more nuanced position that recognizes the good but also wants consideration for those that were hurt and left behind in getting there. You can see it is not the indigenous calling for removal...

"Hamel said when people see Macdonald on his bench, they should "remember that yes, under his leadership, we did form a country here, but also remind ourselves that some of his policies were not that good, did not bring about the country we probably hoped it would."

"Remind ourselves that together, now, today, we can make a change moving forward. We can make things different for our children today."

.."By removing it, we think that's diminishing, sometimes, what has happened. But if we allow it to stay there, we can address it. We can say, 'This was not right, we need to come together."

"We should not lose sight of our history so that we may learn from the mistakes that may have been made by our past politicians and leaders," the society's chairman, Michael Francis, said in a written statement.

"Sometimes an appropriate location of a statute with a suitable plaque to reflect the strengths and weaknesses on the individual may be far more instructive for all of us than its simple obliteration from the landscape."

White people need to start having some pride, and standing up against this crap. Gay, liberal, democrat.. Them too. Have little pride, and intellectual honesty for God sake. It's time.

Another one bites the dust!

Let's keep pulling em down.

White people need to start having some pride, and standing up against this crap. Gay, liberal, democrat.. Them too. Have little pride, and intellectual honesty for God sake. It's time.
I think a lot of white Trump voters got tired of all the leftist talk of white privilege and white guilt mentality. But the white guilt is still really popular with the left.

And this is partly why Trump got elected. People got tired of the Democrat lines about racist misogynist white people. Especially white men.

Back