Can your beliefs, views, or opinions be changed?

If I thought. @Clippy could eat flipper duck I can handle this you kids can't.

In the end your children. I'm not

Ok. So I'm watching this Flat Earth doc on Netflix called Behind the Curve at the behest of my buddy to show how hilarious these people are.
View attachment 561783

God, I'm just confounded how people can believe stuff like this.

The sad part is if you, even took them up in a rocket via NASA to the ISS or something these people would probably justify their flat earth theory more stringently or find other reasoning to keep their belief.

They even took these people down to the Salton Sea and ran experiments proving spherecicity to no avail. They held on to their views even tighter.

So my question is. Do you think anyone could ever change a deeply seated belief, or viewpoint you have through enough persuasion or facts you didn't know of?

I wonder what the psychological diagnosis for this is because it's not just kooks that do this, almost everybody does when it comes to Politics, Religion or other Scientific subjects.

Have You ever had your strongest viewpoints changed?

Short answer: they can, depending on the topic. For example, religion is tough because it's nonsense, and if you know it's nonsense, the burden of evidence is very high for it to change. Climate change, on the other hand, requires less of an effort - reading mostly.

Back