Can your beliefs, views, or opinions be changed?

I use to believe that all peadophiles should be executed now I think only 99% should the other 1% should be castrated and.be made in paraplegics

Mine change quite a bit, although my values tend to remain pretty consistent. It’s more a matter of what actually aligns to them, and new information makes for new considerations

Ok. So I'm watching this Flat Earth doc on Netflix called Behind the Curve at the behest of my buddy to show how hilarious these people are.
View attachment 561783

God, I'm just confounded how people can believe stuff like this.

The sad part is if you, even took them up in a rocket via NASA to the ISS or something these people would probably justify their flat earth theory more stringently or find other reasoning to keep their belief.

They even took these people down to the Salton Sea and ran experiments proving spherecicity to no avail. They held on to their views even tighter.

So my question is. Do you think anyone could ever change a deeply seated belief, or viewpoint you have through enough persuasion or facts you didn't know of?

I wonder what the psychological diagnosis for this is because it's not just kooks that do this, almost everybody does when it comes to Politics, Religion or other Scientific subjects.

Have You ever had your strongest viewpoints changed?

My strongest viewpoints do change and have changed, yes.

There are certain things that make up my reality, that would be devestating if I found out weren’t true.

Like for example if it turned out the moon landing really was a hoax, the greatest hoax of all times, and NASA and all my favourite popular science people all admitted it and said it was a confirmed hoax, I would be really shocked and disturbed and would have a hard time believing a lot of things the same way I do now.

Aquinas is the GOAT IMO..... Have you ever read anything from St. John of the Cross?

Yes, John of the Cross and especially Teresa of Avila are the foundation of my spiritual practice. I consider Teresa of Avila to be my spiritual mother. So deep and so powerful man. Finding those two, along with the Christian contemplate tradition is the best thing that ever happened to me.

There is a monk who is really good that has a presence on Youtube that is really worth looking into if you have not. Thomas Keating. He is one of the few who I can FEEL the power coming off of. He just recently passed away actually.

Ok. So I'm watching this Flat Earth doc on Netflix called Behind the Curve at the behest of my buddy to show how hilarious these people are.
View attachment 561783

The sad part is if you, even took them up in a rocket via NASA to the ISS or something these people would probably justify their flat earth theory more stringently or find other reasoning to keep their belief.

They even took these people down to the Salton Sea and ran experiments proving spherecicity to no avail. They held on to their views even tighter.

So my question is. Do you think anyone could ever change a deeply seated belief, or viewpoint you have through enough persuasion or facts you didn't know of?

I wonder what the psychological diagnosis for this is because it's not just kooks that do this, almost everybody does when it comes to Politics, Religion or other Scientific subjects.

I've had some of my strongest viewpoints changed but it was because of introspection on my part, not others convincing me. Once people are in their 30s, they aren't likely to change their beliefs because it requires admitting they were wrong. When you are younger, our views were set up by others. It's much easier to to see what others have told you is wrong. Once you have believed without questioning for a long enough time, you aren't likely to change without some event that forces you to rethink a position.

Yes, if presented with evidence my opinions and such can change.

Of course. I’m always open to learning other perspectives, it’s healthy and keeps us rational. However, you cannot convince me the last jedi isn’t a shit movie.

Of course it can be. If you don't at least reconsider your positions occasionally, you're not really thinking at all.

View attachment 561783

Depends if it makes sense or not.

Did anybody asked them how a boat can sail from Japan to USA west coast?
There's turning involved.

Also? There's a dude who keeps making flat-earth models and I'm not shitting you when I say they keep changing. He's gotten to the point of enclosing one flat earth inside another larger, still flat, yet probably earthier earth. It's flat earths all the way down, my turtley friend.

It depends. If a person was raised having a certain set of beliefs drilled into them they may hold those same beliefs for life. However, if they are a thoughtful and intelligent person they can over time come to new understandings as a result of intelligently interpreting their life experiences. This is why intelligent people tend to become more politically conservative as they age. Stupid people continue to believe ridiculous things, like the earth being flat or that voting for democrats is a good idea.

Well considering I used to be a pretty conservative Christian and have sense left the church I’d say yes. These days I’m more of a centrist that leans slightly to the left.

View attachment 561783

I just watched that documentary last night.

What a bunch of nut jobs.

Only a few are written in stone, I try to keep the ol' thinking unit as flexible as possible without compromising the core. The earth is spherish but I wouldnt fight proof otherwise.

Dude seriously. I can give,lax attitudes to random conspiracy theories but this is pushing it

Like pushing it hard

And that red headed chick friend zoned that one dude haaarrrddd.

Crazy how several of them were recently divorced, kids won't talk to them, friendless, and can't date outside of their circle, pun intended.

What a shitty life, lol

And that red headed chick friend zoned that one dude haaarrrddd.

Crazy how several of them were recently divorced, kids won't talk to them, friendless, and can't date outside of their circle, pun intended.

What a shitty life, lol

Haha

Back