Can your beliefs, views, or opinions be changed?

SamSchmidt

I crossed time for you belt
Banned
Reaction score
Ok. So I'm watching this Flat Earth doc on Netflix called Behind the Curve at the behest of my buddy to show how hilarious these people are.
DqgOaMfXQAEv7AJ.jpg

God, I'm just confounded how people can believe stuff like this.

The sad part is if you, even took them up in a rocket via NASA to the ISS or something these people would probably justify their flat earth theory more stringently or find other reasoning to keep their belief.

They even took these people down to the Salton Sea and ran experiments proving spherecicity to no avail. They held on to their views even tighter.

So my question is. Do you think anyone could ever change a deeply seated belief, or viewpoint you have through enough persuasion or facts you didn't know of?

I wonder what the psychological diagnosis for this is because it's not just kooks that do this, almost everybody does when it comes to Politics, Religion or other Scientific subjects.

Have You ever had your strongest viewpoints changed?

At this point they could be, but I'm working on creating a metaphorical hermetic seal on my worldview composed of a series of comprehensives circular reasonings and tautologies that will save me the effort of ever having to change my views again. Once this project is completed I will probably start a religion.

iu

iu

Human beings can be dumb as fuck. My opinion on that will never change.

Absolutely. It's happened to me a few times via facts I was unaware of.

Do you think anyone could ever change a deeply seated belief, or viewpoint you have through enough persuasion or facts you didn't know of?
It's challenging but very possible. The key is leading people to the correct conclusion, rather than forcing it or worse yet using it to condescend. There's also factoring in whether or not this is a position to argue against (and it usually isn't, not anymore than arguing against unicorns).

I believe your opinions and views are possible to change overtime. For instance, my views on same sex marriage changed after I moved away from religion. Not so much that I support gay marriage it just doesn't bother me at all anymore.

Politics is another subject I think it is possible to change your opinions or views about with the more information you gather. I realized I'm more of a Centrist than either conservative or liberal. I may agree with some conservative values and other times I may tend to be more liberal. Regardless of your opinion on people like Bill Maher or Ben Shapiro I think both of them do make some valid points regarding the president's policies and social/political issues.

You grow into or out of things as you become older I believe. I thought the minute I had my driver's license and had enough money to get a vehicle, I was going to get a Lexus or BMW because that is what I wanted as a youngster. You get older and learn about the concept of money and you realize, what's the point of driving a $40,000 whip when you're broke and can barely put gas in the tank?

When it comes to things like the flat Earth theory, I'll take the words of respected scientists and scholars over a guy like Kyrie Irving who dribbles basketballs for a living. Just my two pennies

Ok. For those of you who have said yes. Then how do you explain flat earthers vehemently defending their viewpoint when obvious scientifc facts saying otherwise are given to them?

Also with politics, try to imagine Trotsky becoming a Conservative or Palis a liberal through think pieces or persuasion.

Man shit like that just isn't going to happen, just like I don't think anyone will ever be able to tell me Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo isn't the most delicious food on earth.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sure my opinions can change based on reliable factual data. I don't get sucked into the whole I'm smarter than everyone else and the world has to reflect what I like and think is important immature mentality.

Facts > My opinions

Ok. For those of you who have said yes. Then how do you explain flat earthers vehemently defending their viewpoint when obvious scientifc facts saying otherwise are given to them?
View attachment 561813

You know, somewhere along the line, I think they represent a perverted and misguided version of a healthy skepticism. The earth has been proven to be round for a long, long time - like, well before Jesus long time - through mathematical proofs based on observations of the sun and all sorts of astoundingly clever stuff. The problem is, some people did that. Then some people have, since then, proven it themselves in the same way or other ways. Most people though? We just take it on authority that the earth is round.

Now personally, I entirely believe the earth is round - but I have never proved it myself, unless I set the bar for proof very low. I mean, I've been on long flights before, looked at pictures from space and all that and from that I could deduce somewhat reasonably that the earth was likely not flat. But for how I know it? I take it on faith in the authority of people who have done the work themselves. In short, I appeal to their authority more than to my own self-determined knowledge when I state, as something I consider to be fact, that the earth is round.

Consider it - how many of you have actually undertaken the exercises required to perfectly reasonably, and without appeals to an external authority of someone else who did the work, say "the earth is definitely round"? Some of you likely have and that's great - but for most of us? You're probably just appealing to an external authority like me.

Now granted, sometimes it is reasonable to appeal to authority, and this is precisely why flat earthers are kooks. Even so, when I carefully analyze the basis of my own truly held belief of "the earth is round" I can't help but conclude that I didn't actually prove that myself and, without appeals to external authority, the basis for my belief is susceptible to strenuous critique.

Though I would never dream of suggesting "Hey, the flat earthers might be onto something there" I can't help but caution - be careful in your appeals to authority. A lot of stupid shit comes out of appealing to authority these days, and a fair bit of it is done by non-scientists in the name of science.

Last edited:
It's challenging but very possible. The key is leading people to the correct conclusion, rather than forcing it or worse yet using it to condescend. There's also factoring in whether or not this is a position to argue against (and it usually isn't, not anymore than arguing against unicorns).

That's real talk right there

It's exactly why I don't even bother listening to people who are so Far Right or Far Left that they no longer have any type of reasoning. When me and my friends have conversations on politics or social issues, things can get a little heated at times but we keep a certain level of respect towards each other and we can agree to disagree. If a person cannot have a civil conversation without childish name calling, threatening people, or crying in some cases, there is literally nothing you can say to them at any point. Shouldn't even waste your time.

Then how do you explain flat earthers vehemently defending their viewpoint when obvious scientifc facts saying otherwise are given to them?
You're taking the wrong approach. The first step is listening, and understanding the WHY. Knowing their WHY should shape your approach. If a child asks you about procreation, chances are you're going to use easy-to-grasp metaphors rather than factual jargon.

From my experience, conspiracy theorists are looking for CONTROL. They're at odds with their surroundings, and so devise special counter-culture notions in order to exert a misperception that alleviates their anxieties. Not just conspiracies, but nearly every "-ISM" is on this road. Think of all the times it was easier to go on your gut instinct rather than seek out all the relevant, and actual, facts?

The documentary leads me to think that ATTENTION is also a huge factor. People who feel ignored, or unspecial, may conjure up wild extremes in order to gain adulation or notoreity.

So, the first step is listening. The second thing you do is evaluate whether or not rebuttal is warranted; chiefly, "why you'd even feel compelled to dissuade this type of person." Chances are there's no third step, but if there is it'd better be a good one because it's a timesink either way.

You know, somewhere along the line, I think they represent a perverted and misguided version of a healthy skepticism. The earth has been proven to be round for a long, long time - like, well before Jesus long time - through mathematical proofs based on observations of the sun and all sorts of astoundingly clever stuff. The problem is, some people did that. Then some people have, since then, proven it themselves in the same way or other ways. Most people though? We just take it on authority that the earth is round.

Now personally, I entirely believe the earth is round - but I have never proved it myself, unless I set the bar for proof very low. I mean, I've been on long flights before, looked at pictures from space and all that and from that I could deduce somewhat reasonably that the earth was likely not flat. But for how I know it? I take it on faith in the authority of people who have done the work themselves. In short, I appeal to their authority more than to my own self-determined knowledge when I state, as something I consider to be fact, that the earth is round.

Consider it - how many of you have actually undertaken the exercises required to perfectly reasonably, and not without appeals to an external authority of someone else who did the work, say "the earth is definitely round"? Some of you likely have and that's great - but for most of us? You're probably just appealing to an external authority like me.

Now granted, sometimes it is reasonable to appeal to authority, and this is precisely why flat earthers are kooks. Even so, when I carefully analyze the basis of my own truly held belief of "the earth is round" I can't help but conclude that I didn't actually prove that myself and, without appeals to external authority, the basis for my belief is susceptible to strenuous critique.

Though I would never dream of suggesting "Hey, the flat earthers might be onto something there" I can't help but caution - be careful in your appeals to authority. A lot of stupid shit comes out of appealing to authority these days, and a fair bit of it is done by non-scientists in the name of science.

{<redford}

Opinions and views can be easily changed unless they are highly important and or the foundation of something for someone. For example, I have changed my favorite type of mustard over the years. I used to love Dijon then I fell in love with l'ancienne and now I'm obsessed with honey mustard. On the other hand no one will ever be able to convince me freedom isn't the most valuable thing we have besides life itself.

Yes. Experience, knowledge, maturity levels all change, and that can change views and beliefs. My father told me to never cease to question what you know. So there is nothing with the exception of dumb shit like flat earth shit, that I can’t be swayed on.
I used to be a huge pro choice person. After becoming a parent, my view has changed. Georgia passed a heartbeat rule. The rule doesn’t apply to rape or incest victims, nor does it apply to mothers whose lives are in jeopardy. I’m not religious but it makes sense to me.

Back