Can you remember what the first submission you pulled of succesfully was?

I honestly have no idea. I remember it took about 2 months for it to happen though which made me almost quit.

Americana from side control.

First several taps I got were from Americana from side control. That was the first sub I ever learned, and boy did I spam the %$#! out of it for a while.

First day of classes I got two sloppy arm bars from guard during specific training against some fellow white belts. I think it came down to a lack of knowledge by them, and myself having simply watch a lot of grappling previously. As I look back at it, Im not sure how I did that because I didn't really understand the proper mechanics, and basic set ups for armbars until like 6 months later.

The first sub I pulled off was a kimura from guard. I was trying for the sweep and they were defending so I just rolled back for the sub. One of the happiest moments ever.

Yeah, I tried a REALLY shitty arm triangle attempt and basically wound up squashing the kid's face with my shoulder. He tapped, but it was his first day so I didn't think too much of it. I was still amped as hell to finally tap someone though.

Or, if you meant the first time I pulled off a GOOD submission.. I'd have to think about it, not sure I remember that one. Probably a keylock from side control, though. That has been my best submission by a long shot. It sucks to admit, but I've never submitted anyone from guard with anything besides a kimura.

One thing that does stand out was the first time I ever submitted a higher belt. It was no gi which is more my thing, but I tapped him out with a kesa gatame death squeeze similar to what Josh Barnett got Dean Lister with (it took a long time 20-30 seconds, but he tried to get my weight off his ribs and just couldn't and tapped), and he told me later on that he was a blue belt. I was like, "shiiiiiiiiiiit"

First time I rolled I got a kimura from side mount. Now I don't even try to finish that - lol. Just use it to distract guys so I can try something fancier.

In sparring? Hmm...I think it was an Americana from side control. Not too sure though. I remember I used to tap fellow white belts all the time with that "Americana with the legs" from Kesa Gatame all the time when I was first starting out. Still like that attack against beginners :D

In competition? A kimura from side control when you get him up on his side and sit on his head. This is by far my most successful attack so far, both in competition and in sparring. I love it and my favorite set ups are from side control, top half guard, mount, knee on belly and north south. Practically anytime I have any form of decent top control. So many options and finishes from there.

On a second thought, I'll go for Kimura related things even from the bottom. Usually to sweep though, I don't like holding on to a Kimura from the bottom.

I managed to hit a Triangle on my first night. I'd watched a fair bit of MMA and understood one leg goes over the shoulder the other stays underneath. I managed to lock it in on a guy who'd been training for a while and had moved gyms. I still favour the Triangle, I'm flexible and I can find it everywhere.

Heel hook, then after i joined bjj i haven't done them much since :( -sigh-

Kimura from guard in my first class on my first roll. Felt like I was a natural. Then I let the other guy pull guard since I felt like a bully, and since we only were taught bottom guard stuff, I got kimura'd right back.

Triangle via spazz

Which is funny because I never hit triangles these days.

Edit: I did hit a purple nurple in the 4th grade

Last edited:
I don't remember my first submission i landed just rolling with friends. But i'm guessing either guillotine or RNC.

My first submission actually being in the gym was a triangle.

I can't remember.

I didn't tap anyone for months, though. I was weak and small and got smashed by everyone.

my first ever competition sub (first competition match ever) was a cross choke from guard.

basics baby.

Back