Can you remember what the first submission you pulled of succesfully was?

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Title says it all, my one always sticks out in my mind.

I was rolling with a fellow white belt and he was getting the better of me, I remember I pulled guard as I was really out of breath and threw my legs up to try and secure an armbar from the bottom, I soon realised that I wasn't using my hips enough, what I noticed more was that he didn't try defending the armbar at all when I attempted it.

I got in position again, threw my hips up and got the leg over, soon I was on my front with his arm between my legs, I straightened up and secured that armbar like there was no tomorrow.

Literally from having no BJJ experience to securing this, I felt like I'd just pulled this off as if I was in the main event of metamoris lol.

It's always stuck with me as one of my favourite submissions I've pulled off just because it was the first I'd successfully done.

Just wondering what everyone elses was and if they remember it?

I can't remember the first time I managed to submit someone, but I have a highlight reel of sorts streaming through my mind. The reel consist of me finally getting the better of training partners who'd always dominated me... even if it was the first and last time! :)

Guillotine.

It was against a newer member. He tried to do a double (sloppy), and happened to be facing down, so I just secured it, pulled guard and he tapped.

Triangle. I'm tall and it just came naturally. Still one of my favorite moves to use.

Same guy hit me with a punch choke that was sore for days.

My first in a tournament was a side choke, my first overall was a very sloppy armbar after my partner countered an americana from the mount off an old school Renzo Gracie/Craig Kukuk dvd..a judo teammate gave it to me, and that's what got me into jiu-jitsu.

rear naked choke in basic combatives.

technically speaking though it was probably twisting someones arm in first grade or kindergarten.

First in competition- footlock.

Training I'm not sure, but I do remember having an RNC fully locked in and dude standing up and trying to escape by hip throwing me. I'm a heavyweight, mind you. Dude was a beast. Still got the tap, though.

Americana from the mount. About three months into training, I think. I am not overfilled with natural talent.

Straight arm lock from in my guard.

Also my first submission in competition but I got it from the back.

first in training was a keylock.
first in competition was a mounted triangle armbar

Head and arm triangle, I watched this vid on the same week I started BJJ and was hunting for the head and arm triangle all week lol.

[YT]UPH4KFe3P84[/YT]

Damn Kimura from guard...kinda became a recurring theme for me...^_^

Sloppy armbar (naturally) from mount on a fellow beginner; but the one that I'll always remember is a kimura from guard on a big blue belt a bit later. It almost made all those months of getting rag dolled seem not so bad. Heh.

First day of training against a much weaker guy than myself (I've been a weight lifter most of my life) with maybe a month of training himself at the most. We'd drilled hitting a kimura from side control that day. Given that this was the only submission I'd learned, I clumsily smashed through his guard with pure strength and got to side control. From there, I realized that all I knew how to do was that kimura...so I went for it and secured it easily. Felt really good at the time. Now I realize that I was just a major spazz who picked on a smaller person with only a fraction more mat time than I'd had haha.

Americana from side mount, which I pulled off about 2 weeks into training. I learned it as the cheesy standing key lock vs. a straight punch in Silat and thought it was a stupid move, but I'll be damned if it turned out to be a real grappling move you can get if you just hold your opponent still for a minute.

It was a BJJ purple belt that taught me how to do a guard pass and hold side mount though (I wasn't just kicking butt with Silat).

Kimura, I think.

The one I cherish the most is tapping out a blue belt while I was white... because it never happened again.

Arm-bar from mount. Looking back it was pretty terrible, but hey, it worked.

Turns out the Arm-bar from mount is by far the submission I get most frequently in sparring... Not that it happens all that often but relative to other subs of course!

Back