Can you really learn from 1 hour classes?

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1 hour classes 3-4x a week, or do you feel that BJJ needs ATLEAST 1.5 hours? I feel that you would need about 1.5 hours, but then again, I am addicted to this stuff, so I am alittle bias. I see alot of schools offering only 45 minutes/ 1hour classes, and I have only been trained in 1.5 hour classes, so it makes me kind of skeptical- and these are reputable schools, too. I am sure they have wicked students, but can't they benefit even more from 1.5 -2 hr classes?

We do 1.5 hours class, then .5 open mat.

Whitebelts at Renzo's have a class for 1 hour while upper belts have a class from 5:30-7:30. I have learned a lot from that 1 hour class.

I would think you would learn more than no class at all. :icon_surp

We do 0.5 warmup/cardio, 0.75 technique/drills, 0.75 rolling

seems pretty damn short. Does that include free training time? or a warm-up?

You can learn a lot from a one hour class.

Most of our classes end up being 1.5-2 hours. However, you could still cover some stuff in a one hour class.

You could warm up for 15 minutes, drill a single technique for 15 minutes, and roll for a half an hour. You won't cover as much technique as a two hour class obviously, but you can still learn something.

yes you can learn a lot from a 1 hour class lets say you spend the entire hour on technique and rolling and do cardio on your own time you should be fine just make sure you put everything you got into that one hour and def do some work on your own time if you wanna get good

You can definitley learn a lot. I take a one hour class 3-4 times a week. Then usually try to get some rolling in on my spare time. I personally like 2 hour classes where you can practice the technique a lot more.

thats kind of a dumb question

so lets do this

you do not go too class.

i'll take those one hour classes, three times a week, while you do not.

in 3 months we grapple

i would now have what? 180 hours of mat time to your zero.

so the answer is YES

Are those short classes beginners classes? My school has one hour beginners classes that consist of a warm up then a couple of techniques, just drilling them the entire time, right up until the beginning of the 1.5-2 hour "advanced" class (I say 1.5-2, as they're scheduled for 7:30-9:00, but we usually roll after for a bit, or go over if we're already rolling).

As long as I can get home from work at a decent time, I try and make it to both for a solid 2.5-3 hours of training on gi days. When one of us is training for a fight, all the blues and above will try and make both classes, and while the beginners are drilling technique, we'll run drills to help whoever's fighting prepare.

So, yeah, in one hour, you can add a new sweep, sub, or throw to your arsenal. It'll kinda rot (these things are perishable skills) if you can't train it in an advanced course or roll live after class, though.

You should already know this, though, GracieBarra... You know more about fighting and grappling than any of the higher belts here!

Come in before your class, get warmed up ahead of time and plan on a solid hour of high intensity training.

Mark Allen said:
Come in before your class, get warmed up ahead of time and plan on a solid hour of high intensity training.

Make sure you let your instructor know, though, as he's probably gonna warm up the class anyway. That's why I suggested staying late.

stephensharp said:
Make sure you let your instructor know, though, as he's probably gonna warm up the class anyway. That's why I suggested staying late.
Fair enough. I am the instructor and I encourage them to come in and warm up on their own, i like a high energy fast paced class.

Mark Allen said:
Fair enough. I am the instructor and I encourage them to come in and warm up on their own, i like a high energy fast paced class.

Oh, no doubt. I wasn't correcting you so much as I was making an alternative suggestion. It would be fairly agravating if he shows up 20-30 minutes early to warm up, and then the whole class warms up after that, and he spends 45 to an hour doing calisthenics. If no one else is warmed up when he's done with his pre class warm up, he still can't roll until they're all done.

I know what you guys mean, but I see alot of schools that have only 1 hour or 45 minute long grappling classes and I basically been raised on the 1.5 hr per class thing from pee wee karate, to boxing to Muay Thai. These are amazing schools too- great teachers w/ real world experience, but it leads me to question how much can they REALLY teach in 1hour? Whats in their lesson plans? Since basically every class I attend is atleast 1.5 hrs long, you know, I feel that it is the minimum (1.5hrs 2-4x a week). You know what I mean?

gracie_barra said:
I know what you guys mean, but I see alot of schools that have only 1 hour or 45 minute long grappling classes and I basically been raised on the 1.5 hr per class thing from pee wee karate, to boxing to Muay Thai. These are amazing schools too- great teachers w/ real world experience, but it leads me to question how much can they REALLY teach in 1hour? Whats in their lesson plans? Since basically every class I attend is atleast 1.5 hrs long, you know, I feel that it is the minimum (1.5hrs 2-4x a week). You know what I mean?

I totally agree, but other than the beginners classes before the full/advanced class, I have no experience with it, so I wouldn't be able to tell you what a 45 minute (!!!) class consists of. I guess you'd HAVE to tell them "warm up before you get here" at a school like that.

That or they don't roll, but if they're quality like you said, that makes no sense.

I also go once a week but for 2hours. wish i could do more than once a week :(

Its about quality training for 1 hour so yes. A guy can train for 4x a week for 1 hour and be better then a guy who trains for 2 hours a day 4x a week easy.

better than nothing... 1.30 2.00 hours would be better though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back