Can you learn elite level kickboxing,boxing or contact karate in thse places?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
My understanding is that most, if not all, of the places in the US that exist for really elite level kickboxing, boxing, Muay Thai or contact karate, places where an individual could possibly get good enough to be at the same level as the best strikers from Brazil, the UK, Canada, the Netherlands and others - and note, I am referring to fighters getting to that level on an individual basis, not in the sense of teams of fighters getting that good - would be in Hawaii, Southern California, Southern Florida,Massachusetts or NY. That was my understanding, which I know could be totally and 100 % wrong.

I was wondering, do such gyms or training centers exist anywhere else in the country? Could you find them, in, for example, Northern Florida, Georgia, Western Texas, Northern California, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan or Ohio? If you lived in one of these places could you find kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA,boxing or contact karate training centers where you can be at the same level as those who train in martial arts hotbeds and if so, what would be specific examples of such places?

Th thing is that the fighters in the Netherlands get so good because the people around them are good. We have a very competitive fight scene over here and you could basically fight every weekend if you wanted to. It's certainly possible to get very good as an individual, but at one point you'll need people of imilar class to train with and fight against.

I dont think there are really "teams" of boxers anywhere in the pro ranks.

It doesn't matter where you train. It matters what training you do, how often and how hard you train.

It doesn't matter where you train. It matters what training you do, how often and how hard you train.

But doesn't matter very heavily who who train with, which is directly tied into where you train? So that in any sort of contact karate, for example (other than American karate which as shinkyoku points out simply does not count) for example JKA or WKF karate, if you take 20 Americans and 20 British, 20 Brazilians or 20 Dutch fighters and they all train equally long and hard in their home nations, the 20 Americans by and large will have the least amount of success? Isn't because they have fewer places that could properly prepare them, which is a direct part of where you train?

But doesn't matter very heavily who who train with, which is directly tied into where you train? So that in any sort of contact karate, for example (other than American karate which as shinkyoku points out simply does not count) for example JKA or WKF karate, if you take 20 Americans and 20 British, 20 Brazilians or 20 Dutch fighters and they all train equally long and hard in their home nations, the 20 Americans by and large will have the least amount of success? Isn't because they have fewer places that could properly prepare them, which is a direct part of where you train?

No its because Americans are fat and stupid. Lol jk, of course its beneficial to train with the best fighters. But great fighters have come from all over the world, some training in world class facilities, others coming from poverty in some rural village. How you train is much more important than where you train.

No its because Americans are fat and stupid. Lol jk, of course its beneficial to train with the best fighters. But great fighters have come from all over the world, some training in world class facilities, others coming from poverty in some rural village. How you train is much more important than where you train.

In that case, in Muay Thai,Kickboxing, Knockdown Karate, JKA or WKF or other form of Kyokushin or kickboxing, can you name individual American men and women from any part of the US that are on part with at least more of the more prominent fighters from the Netherlands, Canada, Brazil or the UK in any one of those striking sports?

And can you also name others, from the US and/or other nations, who spend most of the first 18 years or so of their life in a poor village without the ideal resources for training?

My understanding is that most, if not all, of the places in the US that exist for really elite level kickboxing, boxing, Muay Thai or contact karate, places where an individual could possibly get good enough to be at the same level as the best strikers from Brazil, the UK, Canada, the Netherlands and others - and note, I am referring to fighters getting to that level on an individual basis, not in the sense of teams of fighters getting that good - would be in Hawaii, Southern California, Southern Florida,Massachusetts or NY. That was my understanding, which I know could be totally and 100 % wrong.

I was wondering, do such gyms or training centers exist anywhere else in the country? Could you find them, in, for example, Northern Florida, Georgia, Western Texas, Northern California, Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan or Ohio? If you lived in one of these places could you find kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA,boxing or contact karate training centers where you can be at the same level as those who train in martial arts hotbeds and if so, what would be specific examples of such places?

is Southern California even one of those places? who is an example of a high level striker from So Cal?

don't say Benny the Jet or anyone like that. I'm talking modern era.

is Southern California even one of those places? who is an example of a high level striker from So Cal?

don't say Benny the Jet or anyone like that. I'm talking modern era.

I had thought it was since my understanding was that Southern California was and still is a hotbed of martial arts of every kind from the traditional and philosophical all the way through to MMA, and so it included all the striking based sports I outlined above. Perhaps my understanding is off and I need to e given an updated education of sorts on exactly what parts of the United States can one find a place to train Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Knockdown Karate, Kyokushin Karate, whether of the JKA, WKF variety of another kind, and similar striking sports.

I had thought it was since my understanding was that Southern California was and still is a hotbed of martial arts of every kind from the traditional and philosophical all the way through to MMA, and so it included all the striking based sports I outlined above. Perhaps my understanding is off and I need to e given an updated education of sorts on exactly what parts of the United States can one find a place to train Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Knockdown Karate, Kyokushin Karate, whether of the JKA, WKF variety of another kind, and similar striking sports.

well, outside of MMA, im trying to figure out who is a top level guy coming out of So Cal. Timothy Bradley is from out here but i dont really follow boxing much. im trying to think of big names in Muay Thai/kickboxing from this area but im hard pressed to think of any off the top of my head...maybe someone else that follows those sports closer could tell you but i cant think of any top level (for the US) Muay Thai fighters from the Los Angeles/Orange County area. Joe Schilling? is he considered top level???

this area is still a hotbed for martial arts/etc but where are all the top tier pro fighters outside of MMA? im talking guys from here, not transplants from somewhere else that train here. otherwise, you could group Lyoto and Anderson into this area (though, theyre both MMA fighters as well).

And can you also name others, from the US and/or other nations, who spend most of the first 18 years or so of their life in a poor village without the ideal resources for training?

Dude, that is atleast a third of the Top fighters out of Thailand. Those guys learn to fight to put food on the table. Probably applies to most boxers.

Thing about a lot of dojos/gyms/studios in the the U.S.A. is double problem, first we have really arse backwards laws on things like injury and personal responisibilty so gyms are terrified of getting sued which nerfs training, and lets face it in most parts of the country if you can afford to open a gym you are not going to get get "hungery" students.

USA has the best profesional boxing trainers and gyms in the world. The only other country that is comparable is Mexico.

Back