Can you improve your grappling skills in a short period by rolling with champs everyday?

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Conor's coach seems to be a wise guy and tries to always bring the best of the world (available) to his training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings some tough sambo champions and/or wrestling/bjj champions to his camp for Conor's preparation against Khabib.

GSP did the same thing for many years.

In general terms... Training with the best should benefit a person. Not if you're just getting your ass kicked everybody. But, if you're being taught why you're getting your ass kicked. And how to try to avoid it in the future. With any discipline, or technique.

depends on your ability.

Edit: Cro Cop picked up world class take down defense almost immediately; Condit hasn't learned any TDD in years

Yes.

If you're training at an academy with a 100 other students your growth and progress trajectory wont be the same as someone who is getting a private lesson every day from one of the best black belts in the world.

Conor is getting a private from a Marcelo Garcia World Champion Black Belt. Every single day. Learning new efficient tricks and subtleties that can make you a much better grappler.

Think of BJ Penn getting his black belt in 3 years and becoming a world champion in BJJ. He wouldnt have accomplished that if he wasnt getting private lessons 3x a day from a real Gracie Black Belt.

So yes , if you take a natrual like Conor who already understands the language of BJJ and is hungry to perfect his craft, training 2-3x a day with one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world will make you improve greatly.

I read somewhere (Danaher i believe) that training with people near your ability is best for overall improvement, while rolling with worse partners will up your offense and the top guys, your defense.

Yes

But training with a black belt for a week won't make you Marcelo Garcia

To a point yes but how much you can improve in a short period of time is going to be limited by where you're starting from. Connor seems like he's a decent grappler though so my guess is he's picking things up pretty quickly.

Conor's coach seems to be a wise guy and tries to always bring the best of the world (available) to his training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings some tough sambo champions and/or wrestling/bjj champions to his camp for Conor's preparation against Khabib.
This is why the "Irish Edmond" shit is dumb as fuck. Edmond operates in his own stratosphere.

Can it help? Sure but only to a limited extent. Training something for a couple of weeks on end will give you a basic background but if the other guy has years more experience, you will only do so well against him. If you trained it full time for a couple of months you might be able to get some muscle memory but you would be sacrificing training everything else. Even then, a couple of months won't likely be enough.

There are belt colours for a reason. Sure a white belt might lock in a sub on a black belt but the odds are not good. At the very least it won't hurt and anything you can add to your skillset is bound to help but in the short term, not so much. Think of it like this: Mcgregor's big threat is his boxing; if Khabib brings in Freddie Roach and a slew of top level boxers, would you think he'd be ready for Mcgregor?

Sure you can if you're physically gifted. Guys have learned to wrestle in a few months and won state wrestling tournaments.

Of course, but you won't learn the instinctual movements (muscle memory) in a short period which can be the difference between escaping a submission or locking one in.

More of a general 'tips and tricks' which you then have to remember while getting choked/punched

Some people have a greater aptitude for grappling than others. It is obviously not possible to quantify how someone will improve in such conditions.

Yes, provided the training is intentional and the guy isn't just blowing through you at full strength.

Place the bar a step above where the guy is at, not as far up as you can place it. A newbie getting gorilla-fucked full strength isn't going to lead to any meaningful improvement.

GSP did the same thing for many years.

In general terms... Training with the best should benefit a person. Not if you're just getting your ass kicked everybody. But, if you're being taught why you're getting your ass kicked. And how to try to avoid it in the future. With any discipline, or technique.
Exactly and GSP being a very intelligent person didn't hurt anything either , even if you don't like mcgregor I believe he is a pretty intelligent and probably picks certain aspects of the game faster than some

Back