Can you guys talk me into finally watching the godfather

Al Pacino is the best actor ever. If you've seen Scarface, just watch the 2 Godfather movies and see how - even though it's a similar subject matter - the guy successfully plays two different people. The PS2 video game was good, too.

I haven't seen the 3rd movie or played the 2nd game, though.

2nd game wasnt that great, akin to the sopranos game. It had one benefit you can create a crew and eliminate one who sucks.

Read the book first. Yes, it will spill some beans as regards the plot, but you'll understand the nuances much better - particularly the Don's. One of the few times where both the book and the film are spectacular.

Al Pacino is the best actor ever. If you've seen Scarface, just watch the 2 Godfather movies and see how - even though it's a similar subject matter - the guy successfully plays two different people. The PS2 video game was good, too.

I haven't seen the 3rd movie or played the 2nd game, though.
Freshman yer of college my roommate was a notorious early riser. Didn’t matter if he had class or not or if he’d gone out the night before, at 6 AM he was up and going for the day. He was obsessed with two video games, The Godfather and fight Night Round 3. For an entire year I didn’t even have to set an alarm because every single morning, I was awoken by The Godfather theme or Joe Tessitore. “He’s out on his feet, he’s gonna go!”

The Godfather was an excellent game though. Put in a lot of hours playing it. Highly recommend

Freshman yer of college my roommate was a notorious early riser. Didn’t matter if he had class or not or if he’d gone out the night before, at 6 AM he was up and going for the day. He was obsessed with two video games, The Godfather and fight Night Round 3. For an entire year I didn’t even have to set an alarm because every single morning, I was awoken by The Godfather theme or Joe Tessitore. “He’s out on his feet, he’s gonna go!”

The Godfather was an excellent game though. Put in a lot of hours playing it. Highly recommend
Replace Fight Night with Rocky Legends and early bird shit with night owl regime and... your buddy sounds like a kindred spirit.

Read the book first. Yes, it will spill some beans as regards the plot, but you'll understand the nuances much better - particularly the Don's. One of the few times where both the book and the film are spectacular.

Read the book several times. By far best novel ive read.

The movie follows it so closely even word for word at times its great. I just wish they added what happens to the traitor after the sicily incident. Or more about Luca and how the godfather came to literally own him

Read the book several times. By far best novel ive read.

The movie follows it so closely even word for word at times its great. I just wish they added what happens to the traitor after the sicily incident. Or more about Luca and how the godfather came to literally own him
Agree 100%. I couldn't tell you how many times I read Godfather, lol. It's so much better when you watch while knowing what the character is thinking, truly understand his motivations etc.

I worked at a bookseller when I was in high school and got to read a copy of George Lucas' original story treatment for Star Wars. It made watching the films an entirely different experience, especially early on. Luke was never the main character. That's fairly obvious now, but at the time people assumed that he was. Knowing from nearly the beginning that the story revolved around Vader, and understanding the dark side's lure for him makes a huge difference.

Agree 100%. I couldn't tell you how many times I read Godfather, lol. It's so much better when you watch while knowing what the character is thinking, truly understand his motivations etc.

I worked at a bookseller when I was in high school and got to read a copy of George Lucas' original story treatment for Star Wars. It made watching the films an entirely different experience, especially early on. Luke was never the main character. That's fairly obvious now, but at the time people assumed that he was. Knowing from nearly the beginning that the story revolved around Vader, and understanding the dark side's lure for him makes a huge difference.

Very lucky, i was a huge star wars nerd growing up and always wanted to see the original drafts. I remember seeing stills of storm troopers with light sabers etc, and had to the read insiders to find out anything new like the upcoming cast for episode 1 approx 2 years before it hit theaters. I still have a bar of princess leia soap from the 70s i found at a yard sale. Some geek would probably pay 500 bucks for it on ebay lol

The story treatment is an original draft, but with characterizations, background and everything else pasted to each scene. You'd love it. I wish they were widely available for all films, but it puts a burr in the director's ass because they feel it insinuates he didn't tell the story thoroughly.

Hell, that soap may pay for a family vacation some day! I had the original Bat Cave playset when I was a kid. All the villains, the batmobile, batcopter, batcycle with Robin's sidecar ... the whole nine yards. My mom sold it all at a yard sale for pennies. Not too long ago I was watching one of those collectible shows (Antiques Road Show or something like that) and a guy had an incomplete set nowhere near as nice as mine was. It was worth thousands!

The story treatment is an original draft, but with characterizations, background and everything else pasted to each scene. You'd love it. I wish they were widely available for all films, but it puts a burr in the director's ass because they feel it insinuates he didn't tell the story thoroughly.

Hell, that soap may pay for a family vacation some day! I had the original Bat Cave playset when I was a kid. All the villains, the batmobile, batcopter, batcycle with Robin's sidecar ... the whole nine yards. My mom sold it all at a yard sale for pennies. Not too long ago I was watching one of those collectible shows (Antiques Road Show or something like that) and a guy had an incomplete set nowhere near as nice as mine was. It was worth thousands!

Sick.
I used to have all of the original tmnt and batman keaton movie toys. Yardsale....ffs. i watched the tmnt netflix thing with my wife when she putnit on and j remember calling out every price and name and basically dejected i didnt have these things any longer lol. Im re reading the original black and white comics as well as the new editions.

Side note, have you read the last don, omerta or the sicilian?

I read the Sicilian years ago but don't really remember it. I love the way Puzo draws characters. I write novels and read a hell of a lot to stay up on what sells so I have fewer chances to reread older stuff. I may need to make time now that our conversation has stirred the juices. I love old fashioned mob stories.

Omerta so far is my second fave of his works. I read The Godfather returns, a novel written by someone in puzo style that takes place bweteen G1 and G2. It wasnt bad but you can tell he over analyzed puzo style of writing. Still, it tied up loose ends for characters , eapecially considering what G2 left out for the movie.

The Godfather and The Godfather Part 2 are both top tier films. They're not for casual viewing so if you're not going to sit down and pay attention, don't bother. But yeah, they're both must sees that still hold up extremely well. There is some over-acting in some scenes but aside from that, they're both fairly flawless.

Shouldn't you read the book second? As it will give more detail than a movie can.

Thats why you should read first

If you read the more extensive, detailed media first, you know everything. This makes the movie less interesting because you know every plot point. If you do the movie first then you have more of an incentive to read the books and see what you missed.

Also anytime there is a movie or television show based off of books, there is a significant portion of book snobs saying the book is better and criticizing how the movie portrayed certain aspects or left things out. I've never seen the reverse. Never seen people who watched the movie first criticizing the book. Movie then book seems to be the most enjoyable order.

As a hugeeeeeeee movie aficionado I know its kind of ridiculous I still have yet to see this, but I dont know. Just from picking up a tiny amount of details here and there I have this feeling, really based on nothing tbh, that its gonna be dated and boring.

I do love gangster movies though and consider myself a gangster, so am I missing out on not watching it? If I liked Scarface will I definitely like TG?
Don't do it. It's a massive waste of time and is one trope after another for several hours. The acting isn't good and the dialogue is terrible.

Every other mob movie does it better, even the spoofs.

I give people this piece of advice about great films:
A great film is worth watching several times, each time for a different aspect. Godfather for example, is worth watching once through just for the cinematography.

Watch each scene and pay attention to how it's framed and how the minor characters are layered. Hell, watch with the sound off. It's a goddamned beautiful film.

It's one of the oldest good movies. What can I say.

I hate old movies in general but this one is good if you can make it past the endless wedding. Kind of like the Deer Hunter.

Back