Can you guys rate these gis in 4 categories?

ThR1LL

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'm looking for probably 2 new gis for my rotation and there were a couple I've been looking at, but I want everyone's opinion. The 4 categories I'm looking at are Durability, Cut/Fit, Comfort(as far as material because I know cut/fit deals with comfort), and least amount of stretch (like if it gets sweaty and it starts to stretch).

• Inverted White Panda 2.0
  • Scramble Athlete
  • Tatami Estilo 5.0
  • Flow Hemp Series
  • Datsusara HCG-06
  • Kingz 450 Comp V3
  • Fushida CompGS
  • Keiko Limited Series

I put tatami and scramble at the top but fushida and kingz get high scores from everything I've read.

Keiko can suck my balls.

Inverted
Scramble
Fushida and Kingz for equal 3rd place
Tatami

Then the rest

Without a doubt, Fushida is #1 in all categories. I've owned Inverted Gear, Kingz, Keiko, and Tatami. They definitely fall behind in different ways, but they're alright in other ways.

I owned Inverted Gear, but I always felt like their arms should be a little bit longer for their A2T/S. Maybe I have really long arms, but I guess it still bugs the hell out of me. Also, I'm not a big fan of their ripstop pants and collars. The 350 gsm gis tend to stretch a bit. Overall though, durable, and you can find them from time to time at great prices.

Kingz is actually pretty decent. I own 2 of their gis, the V2 (1st batch of their V2) and their V3. The subsequent V2 batches were garbage, and even they probably will acknowledge that something went wrong. The other two gis are great. I personally prefer the fit and feel of the V2, and it seems slightly more durable since the V3 jacket lost a seam once (quick fix at the tailor for 5 bucks).

Keiko Limited and USA series gi is ok. Sizing for the limited sucks. I wanted to like it so badly, but it's an impossible fit for my arms. The body was decent, and the pants were alright (a bit wide, but I'm not complaining). For the USA series, their sizing changed a bit and the arms were slightly longer, but still too short, and the body was bigger. The pants were so big that I had to size down from A3 to A2. Jacket was A3. In the end, I sold both. I just couldn't justify keeping gis that didn't fit.

Tatami Estilo 5.0. I had high hopes for this one. It's actually very well built. It's a durable gi, no doubt, and will likely last a long time. However, the arms are too damn short. I don't understand why they would make the arms short, since the 4.0 fit perfectly. Oh well. This will no doubt go on the selling block once I'm sick of seeing it.

Fushida... 10/10 in all departments. I have 2 of them (GS and RS) and both are absolutely exceptional. If I had a choice between these and a Shoyoroll or almost anything else out there, Fushida wins by a mile.

Fushida... 10/10 in all departments. I have 2 of them (GS and RS) and both are absolutely exceptional. If I had a choice between these and a Shoyoroll or almost anything else out there, Fushida wins by a mile.

You like the GS or RS better? And why? I'm confused between those 2

I love it when guys with like 20 gis talk about how o e is durable and will last a long time...of course it will when you use one every 2 weeks because you are rotating through so many...

You like the GS or RS better? And why? I'm confused between those 2

I give the edge to the GS slightly. I like the short skirt and the pearl weave gusset. Both of these are altered on the RS, which is quite fine. I just slightly prefer the GS.

I love it when guys with like 20 gis talk about how o e is durable and will last a long time...of course it will when you use one every 2 weeks because you are rotating through so many...

Hah. Fair point. However, I didn't always have many gis. In the beginning, I had a handful and I trained 6-7 times a week. I kept buying gis only to compare cuts and sizing. In terms of durability, I will concede that, since I don't use the same gi twice a week, I can't definitively comment on it.

However, if I use that gi once a week, or every two weeks, and 3 months later it's starting to mess up (collar gets busted, seams bust open, whatever), then I think it's fair to say that it reflects poorly on the gi. Do you think that's a fair conclusion?

Hah. Fair point. However, I didn't always have many gis. In the beginning, I had a handful and I trained 6-7 times a week. I kept buying gis only to compare cuts and sizing. In terms of durability, I will concede that, since I don't use the same gi twice a week, I can't definitively comment on it.

However, if I use that gi once a week, or every two weeks, and 3 months later it's starting to mess up (collar gets busted, seams bust open, whatever), then I think it's fair to say that it reflects poorly on the gi. Do you think that's a fair conclusion?

Sure, if It fails it fails right? I had a lot of Gis, now I'm down to 2. I have a Padilla and sons gold weave that I've been using 3-4 times a week for about 2 years now. It's all faded but still in perfect condition other than the fading. That's by far my favorite gi. Nothing fancy, no patches, no contrast stitching.

When it's life is over, I'll get a new one.

My other gi is an Estillo 4 that is still going strong too after 2 years.

Sure, if It fails it fails right? I had a lot of Gis, now I'm down to 2. I have a Padilla and sons gold weave that I've been using 3-4 times a week for about 2 years now. It's all faded but still in perfect condition other than the fading. That's by far my favorite gi. Nothing fancy, no patches, no contrast stitching.

When it's life is over, I'll get a new one.

My other gi is an Estillo 4 that is still going strong too after 2 years.

Padilla sons are well made. I own two. My only complaint is the cut. If you are tall or lanky, its not the right gi for you.

I was also seriously considering a P&S gi. What's the difference between their gold and mako series?

Padilla sons are well made. I own two. My only complaint is the cut. If you are tall or lanky, its not the right gi for you.

I am both tall and lanky and your are correct, on me its not a sleek looking sport style gi but it fits and does the trick.

I sort of missed out on the gi craze because back when I started bjj, there weren't a thousand different gis to choose from so I just had simple ones. Then I moved to Asia where people dontt have access to all the fancy patched up stuff so most peoe wear gis that aren't perfectly tailored to them.

I'm sort of old school about the I guess.

I am both tall and lanky and your are correct, on me its not a sleek looking sport style gi but it fits and does the trick.

I sort of missed out on the gi craze because back when I started bjj, there weren't a thousand different gis to choose from so I just had simple ones. Then I moved to Asia where people dontt have access to all the fancy patched up stuff so most peoe wear gis that aren't perfectly tailored to them.

I'm sort of old school about the I guess.

Ha I dont own a single gi that fits me. I now wear my old gameness tops (which are baggy) with Lanky pants. Those pants fit beautifully and dont cost an arm and leg.

Its strange how nice the pants fit. Outside of training I am very particular about how my clothes fit. After training in Lanky brand pants ($40, and you can find promo codes too), I preordered their gi. Will probably be 2 months before they arrive.

My gameness and PS pants will never be worn again. They were made for people at least 50lbs heavier than me.

But the PS gis do last forever. I own white ones, and they look new. One of them is 4 years old. The quality is probably as good as it gets. Just baggy. And I heard it was intended to be a mix between a judo and bjj gi. Skirt is longer, arms feel wider.

I was also seriously considering a P&S gi. What's the difference between their gold and mako series?

I think the Mako is their "nicer" weave. Cant really help you beyond that.

I own a gold and an ultra lightweight. I really prefer training in lighter gis. Thats just a personal preference.

If you fit in their size chart, I think PS is the best deal for the money. Those gis are well made and the quality and durability are unbeatable.

Just like most brands, they only have 5 sizes. Personally, because of my build, those traditional sizes are bad fits. But for most, it should be fine

If I had an average build, PS is an easy choice

Oh yea, both my PS gis are soft. I really like my gold. Lightweight but soft and thick.

There is a tiny bit of stretch in my ultralightweight. Nothing horrible though.

I dont notice any stretch in the gold.

Pants are baggy but well made

Back