Can you get knocked out and not suffer a concussion?

Wrong. the answer is yes

Concussion is simply the brain hitting the cranium due to a large blow. being ko'd happens when you get clipped in the jaw area, a nervous response. the two are correlated but not the same

Goof
This. You don't have to be knocked out by any means. I had a number of concussions from playing lacrosse in HS and college. Never once was I knocked out.

Your wrong, KO has been given without a shot to the head. OP was not specific enough for me. Suck the truth, gurgle it, let its salty taste slip down your gullet.

this is just semantics. Obvioulsy when we are talking about KO's in this thread,we are talking about blows to the head,not letters in someones w/l record.

I went unconscious many times from Bong Hits (to the head) without being concussed! The trick is to be in a comfortable position when you do them.

I wasn't always so lucky with whippets.

Wow - you have the worst reading comprehension of all time. Op asked if a ko causes a concussion - not if that was the only way to get a concussion.

I wasn't only addressing the OP, also other posters ITT. People were saying getting hit in the head and going unconscious because of it was the definition of a concussion, which wasn't true and needed to be cleared up first.

All that article says is you can get a concussion without being knocked out.

Or being hit in the head. Or being hit at all, shaken violently also does it. Also, talked about in this thread, not necessarily in the OP.

AND the neurologist said yes, a ko always results in a concussion.

No he didn't say "always". You threw that in there. He said concussions result AFTER the K.O. (loosely assuming KO to mean violent impact to the head) trying to show they were not the equivalent of each other.

People get knocked out (AKA KO'ed) (via general anesthesia) medically for invasive surgical procedures, they do not suffer concussions from them. There are other ways to get knocked out without even getting hit that don't result in functional brain damage (aka concussion). People faint all the time, due to many things including hyperventilation (KO'ing oneself)-----> does not cause concussion.

I agree that a blow to the head that knocks someone unconscious will always result in a concussion, but I thought we all knew and were far past that after the first few posts. Guess not!

Wrong. the answer is yes

Concussion is simply the brain hitting the cranium due to a large blow. being ko'd happens when you get clipped in the jaw area, a nervous response. the two are correlated but not the same

Goof
Usually when people say KO they mean a fighter briefly losing consciousness

Losing consciousness to a cranium impact = concussion

Wrong. the answer is yes

Goof
You don't actually believe this do you?

Usually when people say KO they mean a fighter briefly losing consciousness

Losing consciousness to a cranium impact = concussion

well there are certainly different degrees to being ko'd. holly ko'ing ronda is much different from when hendrix ko'd fitch and fitch was still trying to wrassle the ref.

Fitch was still conscious (he was moving around lol) but he was def. knocked out. but can also be said that fitch was unconscious right when the blow happened and regained it when he hit the floor.

being ko'd definitely doesn't mean you were concussed though and vice versa.

I love how you pointed out what was factually wrong with what I said
So you genuinely believe that a person is knocked unconscious from a blow to the head only because a nerve beneath the jaw has been damaged?

if you are knocked out you have a concussion. Everyone recovers from a concussion differently so though you have been concussed you may or may not experience the headaches, sensitivity to light, dizzyness associated with Post concussion syndrome.

Two people get knocked out..One gets up and is functioning like nothing happened. The other experiences PCS for 3 weeks.

both were concussed but they recovered at a much different rate.

no, but you can get a concussion without being knocked out.
Exactly. Impossible to get kod without suffering a concussion... literally impossible. You can faint without suffering one but a ko is alwayd the result of a concussion. You can also get a concussion without going out.

A lot of people here are confused. There are several definitions of "concussion" but the one we are talking about here is the MEDICAL definition.
From the Mayo Clinic:

"A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that alters the way your brain functions..."
(this means that the oft repeated definition of concussion being the mere "losing consciousness from your brain slamming into your skull" is completely incorrect. That's like listing a hematoma as "when you lose control of your car and hit the window."

"...Although concussions usually are caused by a blow to the head, they can also occur when the head and upper body are violently shaken. These injuries can cause a loss of consciousness, but most concussions do not. Because of this, some people have concussions and don't realize it."

Again, a concussion is NOT the losing of consciousness, in fact most concussions (as stated above) do not lead to loss of consciousness. Concussions are merely physical brain damage received which is significant enough to alter your function from the damage. Damage resulting NOT NECESSARILY from blows to the head (although that is the most common way). You've all heard of 'correlation does not = causation'. Well, even more obviously, "correlation does not equal definition."

"...every concussion injures your brain to some extent"

This does not mean you have to be hit in the skull to injure your brain/get a concussion.

We already have a neurologist in this thread saying that they aren't the same thing, but everyone wants to kneejerk and pile on to establish the 1st layman's internet definition as the ultimate standard. Clearly, it is not.

Read the whole article, it's interesting and it only takes 20 seconds, if that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/basics/definition/CON-20019272

Good dear God. You're really talking correlation and causation after reading the mayo clinic definition? How about reading comprehension?

No. A concussion does NOT always cause unconsciousness. It can cause a wide variety of interruptions to brain function, such as blurred vision, or a headache, or a loss of balance, or memory loss, OR LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS.

ANY one of these is a loss of brain function, INCLUDING loss of consciousness. And a hit to the head that results in a loss of brain function, ANY loss of brain functioning, INCLUDING loss of consciousness is, by definition, a concussion.

THAT's what the article you've cited states.

Offering it up as proof of the opposite actually makes me wonder if you are suffering from a concussion.

Good dear God. You're really talking correlation and causation after reading the mayo clinic definition? How about reading comprehension?

No. A concussion does NOT always cause unconsciousness. It can cause a wide variety of interruptions to brain function, such as blurred vision, or a headache, or a loss of balance, or memory loss, OR LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS.

ANY one of these is a loss of brain function, INCLUDING loss of consciousness. And a hit to the head that results in a loss of brain function, ANY loss of brain functioning, INCLUDING loss of consciousness is, by definition, a concussion.

THAT's what the article you've cited states.

Offering it up as proof of the opposite actually makes me wonder if you are suffering from a concussion.
well said, but keep in mind that there is no amount of explaining to some dopes.

the world, and in a more distilled proportion, sherdog, will always have some lost causes. like this blithering idiot.
well there are certainly different degrees to being ko'd. holly ko'ing ronda is much different from when hendrix ko'd fitch and fitch was still trying to wrassle the ref.

Fitch was still conscious (he was moving around lol) but he was def. knocked out. but can also be said that fitch was unconscious right when the blow happened and regained it when he hit the floor.

being ko'd definitely doesn't mean you were concussed though and vice versa.

Maybe if someone punches you and you have narxclespsey

I wasn't only addressing the OP, also other posters ITT. People were saying getting hit in the head and going unconscious because of it was the definition of a concussion, which wasn't true and needed to be cleared up first.

Or being hit in the head. Or being hit at all, shaken violently also does it. Also, talked about in this thread, not necessarily in the OP.

No he didn't say "always". You threw that in there. He said concussions result AFTER the K.O. (loosely assuming KO to mean violent impact to the head) trying to show they were not the equivalent of each other.

People get knocked out (AKA KO'ed) (via general anesthesia) medically for invasive surgical procedures, they do not suffer concussions from them. There are other ways to get knocked out without even getting hit that don't result in functional brain damage (aka concussion). People faint all the time, due to many things including hyperventilation (KO'ing oneself)-----> does not cause concussion.

I agree that a blow to the head that knocks someone unconscious will always result in a concussion, but I thought we all knew and were far past that after the first few posts. Guess not!

Okay. If you agree with this, then I take back my earlier reply to your earlier post. But, dammit, your post was confusing.

On topic (what the OP was actually about), this is the answer. If you get hit in the head, and that blow knocks you unconscious, that is a concussion.

There are other causes of concussions besides being hit in the head, and there are other results of concussions than being knocked unconsciousness, but the OP wasn't addressing any of these. TS referred specifically to being hit in the head and being knocked unconscious as a result. That's a concussion.

Back