Can you get knocked out and not suffer a concussion?

Actually looking back at it, Crocop wasn't out from the liver shots (I just remembered it that was for some reason) He just dropped to all fours and the ref called it. But you can still go out from liver shots(not the point of this thread though)

Wrong. the answer is yes

Concussion is simply the brain hitting the cranium due to a large blow. being ko'd happens when you get clipped in the jaw area, a nervous response. the two are correlated but not the same

Goof
When you get clipped in the jaw area it rattles your brain stem which also rattles your brain.

I've been looking around the Web before I decided to make this thread and I've gotten conflicting reports.

One has said that when u get knocked out from strikes. No doubt you have suffered a concussion. Basically what defines a concussion is temporary loss of brain function. And a knock out by that definition is loss o brain function.

While a few others have said. Not necessarily. You can get knocked out without suffering concussion. Albeit a bit ore rare. But u won't really know until you get evaluated by a doctor. There have been instances where a fighter was knocked out. Went to the doctor and the doctor says he didn't sustain a concussion.

So which one is it Sherbros?

Never come here for medical facts buddy.

Why the fuck would sherdog be able to give you a better answer. Lol, we don't know anything.

A concussion is any type of loss of brain function.

Including, being rocked/dazed/dizzy from a shot to the head. Mind you these are classified as mild concussions.

If you are knocked unconscious from a blow to the head, you are receiving a concussion.
I used to choke myself with a belt.

I thought a concussion was exactly how it's defined - that is, the brain impacting against the skull. Whether this happens from a blow to the head itself or as a result of the head turning from a chin shot, it's still an impact on the brain.

Depriving the brain of oxygen does not result in a concussion, because the person is never concussed according to the definition of the word.

This person explained for everyone!!!
Thank you.

End thread please.

Anything that overwhelms the nervous system can lead to loss of consciousness (a KO). Antoni Hardonk knocked out Sherman Pendergarst with a leg kick, FFS.

A concussion happens when the brain collides with the inside of the skull. Either can happen independently of the other.

yea if u stop being such a pussy, ppl act like their life is over if they get koed... so annoying i mean retire from mma if u dont want concussions stop crying!

A concussion is any type of loss of brain function.

Including, being rocked/dazed/dizzy from a shot to the head. Mind you these are classified as mild concussions.

If you are knocked unconscious from a blow to the head, you are receiving a concussion.

Bingo.

If a concussion is a temporary loss of brain function, wouldn't getting choked unconscious be the same. Seeing as how the lack of oxygen temporarily shuts down the brain. I could be completely wrong, never really looked into to be honest.

Loss of brain function due to a few seconds of interrupted blood flow to the brain is vastly different. There's no trauma to the brain in this case.

If the blood flow remains interrupted for an extended period, neurons will begin to starve and die, and then you're really fucked. But it's a different type of damage.

I've been looking around the Web before I decided to make this thread and I've gotten conflicting reports.

One has said that when u get knocked out from strikes. No doubt you have suffered a concussion. Basically what defines a concussion is temporary loss of brain function. And a knock out by that definition is loss o brain function.

While a few others have said. Not necessarily. You can get knocked out without suffering concussion. Albeit a bit ore rare. But u won't really know until you get evaluated by a doctor. There have been instances where a fighter was knocked out. Went to the doctor and the doctor says he didn't sustain a concussion.

So which one is it Sherbros?

Ding, ding, ding.

If you get 'knocked out' and DIDN'T suffer a concussion, then that would mean you didn't actually get knocked out. You just fainted or something and the timing was coincidental with getting hit is the head.

But if you get hit in the head, and that CAUSES you to go out, welp... that's a concussion. Literally. It didn't CAUSE a concussion. Tha IS a concussion because that's what a concussion IS.

This thread did not really answer my question. Im left now with even more questions. But I guess that's how we make progress. Ask questions.

You got your answer. If you get KOd, that's a concussion. A knock out doesn't cause a concussion. A knock out is CAUSE BY a concussion. If someone gets hit in the head and goes unconscious, and you don't think it was caused by a concussion, then the onus is on you to explain why he went unconscious. Did he faint? Was it food poisoning? Deep hypnosis? Asphyxiation?

But I'd bet pretty heavily it was none of these things. If I'm to believe it was just a fluke he went out just as he got hit in the head and that his going unconscious had nothing to do with the shot to the head, I'd need to believe in some pretty miraculous coincidental timing. I'm pretty certain it was the shot to the head and the concussion of that shot that made him go out.

If a concussion is a temporary loss of brain function, wouldn't getting choked unconscious be the same. Seeing as how the lack of oxygen temporarily shuts down the brain. I could be completely wrong, never really looked into to be honest.

The concussion part comes into play due to the cause of the brain function being temporarily lost, being that the brain slammed into the inside of your skull.

Punch.gif

The level of dumbassery in this thread is so very strong... Imagine someone being punch drunk from to many "kos" from liver shots... Lmao.

A lot of people here are confused. There are several definitions of "concussion" but the one we are talking about here is the MEDICAL definition.
From the Mayo Clinic:

"A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that alters the way your brain functions..."
(this means that the oft repeated definition of concussion being the mere "losing consciousness from your brain slamming into your skull" is completely incorrect. That's like listing a hematoma as "when you lose control of your car and hit the window."

"...Although concussions usually are caused by a blow to the head, they can also occur when the head and upper body are violently shaken. These injuries can cause a loss of consciousness, but most concussions do not. Because of this, some people have concussions and don't realize it."

Again, a concussion is NOT the losing of consciousness, in fact most concussions (as stated above) do not lead to loss of consciousness. Concussions are merely physical brain damage received which is significant enough to alter your function from the damage. Damage resulting NOT NECESSARILY from blows to the head (although that is the most common way). You've all heard of 'correlation does not = causation'. Well, even more obviously, "correlation does not equal definition."

"...every concussion injures your brain to some extent"

This does not mean you have to be hit in the skull to injure your brain/get a concussion.

We already have a neurologist in this thread saying that they aren't the same thing, but everyone wants to kneejerk and pile on to establish the 1st layman's internet definition as the ultimate standard. Clearly, it is not.

Read the whole article, it's interesting and it only takes 20 seconds, if that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/basics/definition/CON-20019272

Last edited:
A lot of people here are confused. There are several definitions of "concussion" but the one we are talking about here is the MEDICAL definition.
From the Mayo Clinic:

"A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that alters the way your brain functions..."
(this means that the oft repeated definition of concussion being the mere "losing consciousness from your brain slamming into your skull" is completely incorrect. That's like listing a hematoma as "when you lose control of your car and hit the window."

"...Although concussions usually are caused by a blow to the head, they can also occur when the head and upper body are violently shaken. These injuries can cause a loss of consciousness, but most concussions do not. Because of this, some people have concussions and don't realize it."

Again, a concussion is NOT the losing of consciousness, in fact most concussions (as stated above) do not lead to loss of consciousness. Concussions are merely physical brain damage received which is significant enough to alter your function from the damage. Damage resulting NOT NECESSARILY from blows to the head (although that is the most common way). You've all heard of 'correlation does not = causation'. Well, even more obviously, "correlation does not equal definition."

"...every concussion injures your brain to some extent"

This does not mean you have to be hit in the skull to injure your brain/get a concussion.

We already have a neurologist in this thread saying that they aren't the same thing, but everyone wants to kneejerk and pile on to establish the 1st layman's internet definition as the ultimate standard. Clearly, it is not.

Read the whole article, it's interesting and it only takes 20 seconds, if that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/concussion/basics/definition/CON-20019272

Wow - you have the worst reading comprehension of all time. Op asked if a ko causes a concussion - not if that was the only way to get a concussion.

All that article says is you can get a concussion without being knocked out.

AND the neurologist said yes, a ko always results in a concussion.

You could get knocked up without one, TS. Go for it.

Back