Can you even blame Paul Harris?

yes you can of course!!! the guy could have ended pierces career by doing that! the man should not be allowed to fight

Yes, you can, and you should. I don't think Palhares is holding on to the sub because he wants to hurt his opponent, nor do I think he's holding on AFTER the ref steps just because he wants to be sure it's over. I think he's just soooo fucking focused on the fight and the hold that you can blow up the entire arena without him noticing. Proof of this would be the Miller fight where he basically stopped when he thought Miller was out - had he been a douche he would of course have given him the Rampage-on-Wanderlei treatment which is punching your lifeless opponent even though the ref steps in.

Regarding teh cutting, I've actually changed my mind and I think it's OK for the UFC to cut him (even though I'm a big fan), but banning him forever is a piece of shit move that's completely retarded. How the fuck can you motivate banning him? That's just disgusting. Cut him, let him win a couple of fights by sub and then check if he's holding on to subs for too long. Everyone can agree that you can't have fighters that continuously hold on to the sub too long, but considering it's highly unlikely Palhares is doing it to be a jerk I think he should get another shot in the UFC if he can prove that he has overcome his mental issues.

So pissed off this had to happen, he's definitely a top 10 WW and seeing Maia lose to Shields made me believe that the only one that could submit GSP is Palhares.

NEVER stop fighting unless the ref stop you...plus he's not exactly the brightest guy in the world.

Well theres is the issue...that still doesn't stop him...

And allowing stupid ppl to get away with shit based on there stupidity (im not saying HE is stupid, just in general round the world) is probably the worst idea humanity could ever allow.

I feel bad for him and I don't think he does it out of malice, but I don't think Dana's decision was unfair. Toquinho did it enough times and he should've learned by now. It's a shame really, but the other fighters' are entitled to some basic standards of security.

His trainers probably whipped him for messing up in that fight.

I bet all that was going through his head when he was cranking on that leg was "please dont whip me, please don't whip me". At that point he probably doesn't even realize he's in a fight, his eyes probably roll to the back of his head and just starts cranking with all his might.

His corner must have some kind of safe word they use to disable him. We just gotta figure it out then we can all beat him.

Well played sir, I laughed aloud.

'Your safe word, is pineapple...'

This is proof that no one reads anything but thread titles. This is an obvious troll post and people are replying with serious responses.

A Fine would have been more appropriate....This is a first..no...

Blame or not, such antics doesn't belong to UFC.

I mean...didn't the guy once stop EARLY and start celebrating because he thought he finished the guy? (which he was about to do, the ref just hadn't intervened yet)

I bet after he got back to Brazil his masters drilled it into his head to NEVER stop fighting unless the ref stop you...plus he's not exactly the brightest guy in the world.

Eh... there was no tap and no ref intervention on that occasion. A bit different, no?
Either by maliciousness or just plain dumbness, he can't continue to do that over and over.

This is proof that no one reads anything but thread titles. This is an obvious troll post and people are replying with serious responses.

It's a troll post but the topic is serious. People just ignored the OP and carried on their own discussion. I see no problem.

I feel bad for Palhares because I don't think it's intentional on his part, I just think he is too soft in the head to safely fight in the sport. Anyone that thinks otherwise should ask Tomasz Drwal for his opinion.

I mean...didn't the guy once stop EARLY and start celebrating because he thought he finished the guy? (which he was about to do, the ref just hadn't intervened yet)

I bet after he got back to Brazil his masters drilled it into his head to NEVER stop fighting unless the ref stop you...plus he's not exactly the brightest guy in the world.

He's held submissions on for too long even before that weird incident with Dan Miller (and Marquardt for that matter). Someone actually posted a video highlight reel of his dick moves with subs on some other thread on Sherdog, look that up.

In a sport where injuries are rampant and fights get cancelled all the time, it's just too risky to have a guy who might tear the ACL's of top contenders because he doesn't know when to stop.

big difference in the miller fight was that miller wasn't being submitted. Miller didn't tap out, Rousimar Palhares took it upon himself to celebrate. It's not just the two fights in the UFC where he held on too long, look up his fight with Avellan in ADCC. The guy might not be doing it on purpose but you don't give a retard a gun and then complain when he accidentally shoots everyone.

Wrong! Miller was still doing his best to defend and he was not unconscious. Palhares decided the fight was over and started celebrating the split second he stops Miller creates space showing clearly he was still hanging on.

you have to play by the rules, even if you are the dumbest shit in the world.

i don't know how smart / dumb paul harris is, but rules are rules and he has to follow them.

Yes, you can, and you should. I don't think Palhares is holding on to the sub because he wants to hurt his opponent, nor do I think he's holding on AFTER the ref steps just because he wants to be sure it's over. I think he's just soooo fucking focused on the fight and the hold that you can blow up the entire arena without him noticing. Proof of this would be the Miller fight where he basically stopped when he thought Miller was out - had he been a douche he would of course have given him the Rampage-on-Wanderlei treatment which is punching your lifeless opponent even though the ref steps in.

Regarding teh cutting, I've actually changed my mind and I think it's OK for the UFC to cut him (even though I'm a big fan), but banning him forever is a piece of shit move that's completely retarded. How the fuck can you motivate banning him? That's just disgusting. Cut him, let him win a couple of fights by sub and then check if he's holding on to subs for too long. Everyone can agree that you can't have fighters that continuously hold on to the sub too long, but considering it's highly unlikely Palhares is doing it to be a jerk I think he should get another shot in the UFC if he can prove that he has overcome his mental issues.

So pissed off this had to happen, he's definitely a top 10 WW and seeing Maia lose to Shields made me believe that the only one that could submit GSP is Palhares.
I was soooooo excited when he announced he was dropping to WW.... I'm terribly bummed he won't be around....

Ofcourse you can, the fuck kind of question is this even? Just because HE fucked himself in a match, he should be obsolved of any guilt for anything else related to referee stoppage?

This whole ordeal is just really bizzare, because the defense of Palhares (actions) are so weak.

Well, Paul Harris should now teach Belfort on when to release Jones' arm.

Back