Can you do assistance work on a different day to the main lift?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by SomersetOak, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SomersetOak

SomersetOak White Belt

Hi,

I've only posted once before and that was in the context of training around a broken foot (Thank you again to Tosa for his advice which I followed). I'm pleased to say I'm now pretty much recovered and able to start training squats and deadlifts again.

I am 25, 5.11, 170lbs, my main aim is to get stronger and compete in powerlifting. I also do triathlon. I am planning on following very simple three day split akin to the one in FAQ, basically squat, bench and deadlift day with 2-3 assistance exercises. I know it is better not to mess with proven templates and I have read the FAQ, but I just had one question regarding assistance work. I previously used WS4SB3 and, while I realise in retrospect it is not the best routine for making major strength gains in the big lifts, I do think it is good for athletes wanting a strength programme and one aspect I liked in particular, or that worked for me, was the use of two upper body and two lower body sessions (one heavy, one max rep/dynamic). More specifically, I liked how you would be doing assistance for either bench or squat on a different day to the max effort lift. I found that doing, for example, dynamic box jumps mid week then heavy squatting at the wknd led to good progress.

Given this, is there any advantage/disadvantage to adding an assistance exercise (perhaps a lower impact one) for, for example, squat on one of the other days, e.g. Dynamic box jumps at the end of bench day

So, for example, Bench Day would look like

1. Bench (5x5)
    2. Incline/Decline DB Press (3-4 sets of 6-10 reps)
    3. Weighted Dips (4 sets 6-10 reps)
    4. Box jumps

If people think it is better not to mess around no problem, but I appreciate any advice. In the example above I feel the lower impact jumping would work well with heavy squats 3 or 4 days later.

Grateful for any thoughts?

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Why do you want to include box jumps? How will you program them? How much warm-up will you do before box jumps? How much are you Squatting?

There's nothing necessarily wrong with doing box jumps on Bench day, but that doesn't mean it'd be beneficial.

3. misspelledgeoff

misspelledgeoff White Belt

at 5.11 and 170 the only assistance work you should do is ingest one gallon of whole milk per day until you add 50# of body weight.

4. Arpie

Arpie Orange Belt

Immediately I see one thing. Powerlifting and triathalons don't mix, to be truly competitive you're going have to choose one or the other. But if your content with staying at an "amateur" level then by all means continue.

Honestly the way I see it, have a squat,bench,deadlift etc. day with assistance exercises that help that specific lift. Once you start go into the heavier weights it may be good to just do the lift and the assistance work and go home to recover. Instead of hitting the muscle groups once hard (as you should be doing in the beginning) then coming back and doing so again another day, impeding recovery. As a poster above said it could be said that your underweight, it makes sense (for now) to do as little work to reap the most gains. So make your workouts all efficient as possible with as little useless crap thats going to burn calories (which would make it harder to put on weight).

Or just follow SS with lots of eating,drinking (raw milk) and sleeping.

5. SomersetOak

SomersetOak White Belt

Thanks Guys for the responses, much appreciated.

Tosa - Good Q's, thank you, they made me realise I perhaps hadn't given it enough thought before posting. When on WS4SB3 I would work up to a max effort sqaut and then, about three days later, do box jumps as part of the dynamic effort lower body day. I did them in 5-8 sets of 3 jump, warm up was dynamic stretching and 10 mins on bike. I did it as a way of including plyometrics and it did help my squat go up - my best was 280lbs below parallel which I know is light for most S&P'ers but was a big increase for me.

MisspelledGeldoff - Lol, thank you, your definitely right about my weight. As a fellow white belt however I do always think it is slightly embarassing to see posters such as yourself jump at the chance to repeat this kind of advice and make these laboured attempts to try and sound like a cynical, veteran poster. You'l notice that Tosa, an actual experienced poster, took the time to post something helpful. Of course I am aware that I need to eat a lot etc to gain weight and that I am light, but that and asking a specific question about training are hardly mutually exclusive. Thanks anyway though, as you say, at my weight I should probably not be worried about the minutiae of a program.

Arpie - Thanks v much for your advice. I should have explained properly - a you say, I don't have any ambition of competing seriously. I love training (both athletics and strength training) but will forever remain at the ameteur level. I would, however, like to compete at a local gym competetion, that's all. I guess more generally I jsut meant I want to focus on upping my numbers in the big three lifts. Appreciate the advice and I will do as you suggest, and good advice to keep the assistance to a minimum, I will stick to two exercises.

Thanks again,
    Ian

6. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You'd have to consider the time and the effects of not just the box jumps, but also the warm-up as well. Or do the box jumps on the day you do deadlifts.

7. SomersetOak

SomersetOak White Belt

two good points cheers. I don't think think ordinarily the warm up is a big deal but, yes, I can see myself not wanting to bother after doing a whole bench session and so not doing the jumps properly/safely, at which point query the benefit.

Doing it on deadlift day would make sense as I already do the same sort of warm up at the start of the session. I guess one other thign to consider and which weighs against the idea is that I'm stil recovering from a broken foot and it might be better to avoid any high impact stuff for now.

Incidentally mate as I said before cheers again for your advice on training while injured. Keeping my posterior chain and core strong while off proper lifting has meant that my deadlift has emerged from the off time relatively unscathed. My squat, by contrast, has been decimated...perhaps literally lol. I'm sure it will come back quickly however.

Ta,
    Ian