Can you be belted by 2 instructors?

Bounty Hunter

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you could be a blue - black belt under two coaches. For example, if you get your black belt at one school, can you go to another school, train for a bit maybe a month, and then get your black belt under that instructor?

Under normal circumstances, no, because you're already a black belt so you can't be awarded another black belt in the same art.

building off that, say the other school does honor your black belt from your home school (like jean jacques machado and caio terra honoring denny prokopos black belt from eddie bravo) doesn’t that technically mean you are a black belt to them? not necessarily UNDER them, but you are certified.

Individuals don't really certify black belts - BJJ isn't that formal, its also why lineage has some weight, because its how you verify someone is legit. Only the IBJJF provide some certification, and nobody really cares about that. I'm not quite sure what you mean about a 'black belt to them' - if you say your a black belt then of course your going to be a black belt to them.

I was just wondering if you could be a blue - black belt under two coaches. For example, if you get your black belt at one school, can you go to another school, train for a bit maybe a month, and then get your black belt under that instructor?

No.

But if you received your belt from another instructor but then moved over to another school, you automatically get patched over.

It's not like you're a double BB, but if you're at your second school long enough you'll be a BB under two systems...Which is fucking cool!

I thought it was custom to drop a rank when joining another system(instructors philosophy). Lots of guys from other schools have trained for 6 months or a year as Brown before getting the nod to wear their former BB. And specifically a Machado PB buddy bumped down to Blue when he moved east and trained for at least a year before being re promoted. He didn't sweat it as really all the other guys in that situation I've trained with.

As I said in another thread Roll/Randori with your chief instructor and the top teaching students so they can asses your proficiency under their established training structure.

The only downside...is you'll be trained under two systems and have the advantage of blending the best of both into your own personal style...Spoiler that's a huge upside!

Machado guys bump down a rank?
Gi to no gi and visa versa I understand. But is machado that different?
I feel like if you still compete in the same comp rule sets it should transfer over.

I've seen visiting black belts that aren't that great, but I've never seen anyone tell them to wear a different belt. That just seems unnecessarily rude.

Even in bjj heroes my instructor has both Saulo and vini aieta as the people that promoted him to black

Can you really get demoted if you move to another affiliation? I mean.... its bound to happen to me. As much as I love where I train because of my friends and instructor, I'm pretty sure the job I'm in right now won't be the job I retire from. I'm bound to get other jobs and move further away many times, each time necessitating a new guy/affiliation.

I guess it shouldn't matter, but if I'm being honest it would suck a bit if you are a purple belt, move to something like Atos, and they tell you you aren't at their level of purple and demote you to blue.

Can you really get demoted if you move to another affiliation? I mean.... its bound to happen to me. As much as I love where I train because of my friends and instructor, I'm pretty sure the job I'm in right now won't be the job I retire from. I'm bound to get other jobs and move further away many times, each time necessitating a new guy/affiliation.

I guess it shouldn't matter, but if I'm being honest it would suck a bit if you are a purple belt, move to something like Atos, and they tell you you aren't at their level of purple and demote you to blue.

No. But if it happens....just take your hard earned money and train with someone else .

If someone demote you, that is total bs.

Individuals don't really certify black belts - BJJ isn't that formal, its also why lineage has some weight, because its how you verify someone is legit. Only the IBJJF provide some certification, and nobody really cares about that. I'm not quite sure what you mean about a 'black belt to them' - if you say your a black belt then of course your going to be a black belt to them.

The IBJJF does extensive background check and credibility of you and the instructor who promoted you. It's the only body that looks into your lineage.

If you have a bjj school, none of your students cannot compete under the ibjjf of your arnt verified.

Nice thread, Im a no stripe Brown at the moment and i recently started Training at 3 different schools in my area.

I got each of my belts from a different black belt, then i thought i was set up towards getting my black from the same guy that gave me my Brown. Then more gym drama ensued so o left and ran a small club with some other fighters for about 2 years.

Just recently we closed down and now im at the 3 different places. It's going to be interesting to see who, if any of them, rank me.

Hopefully you are good enough to hang with their guys of the same belt. I guess it could be tricky if you just got a new belt. My worry of switching schools ( which im about to do due to move) is looking like a fool during their drills that they may do that I am not used to. But all that matters to me is smashing equal belts. Who really gives a shit about a belt

I've seen visiting black belts that aren't that great, but I've never seen anyone tell them to wear a different belt. That just seems unnecessarily rude.
Visitors were their rank, and I've worked with Dan wicked hobgoblin mutant monsters to gawd awful stumble bumpkins.

SanKyu and above, rank is kinda second to the long haul of honing your skill and specific strengths. Colors and stripes don't really matter when it comes to the region you train and compete in.

Actually, individual do certify their own stifents to BB level and even higher. Hence, the reason they issue a certificate with their name and signature and that can apply to all belts.

Now you can request a certificate from the ibjjf that states that they recognise your BB and/or degrees.

Lot of people do care about ibjjf certification.

The one that don't are just the ones that cannot get ibjjf certified.

Ibjjf certification is not that difficult but the instructor that promotes to BB would need to be at least ibjjf BB 2 degrees. Certified.

Hence the reason why I would not promote anyone to BB until end of next year once I get my ibjjf 2 degrees certificate.

I think what is TS referring is specific instructor that demote a new student until they can demonstrate the curriculum expected for that specific belt.

So for examples, if they are really into self defense. They will require the new students to learn their curriculum.

So I think it's similar to judo- so a short answer is no. Now, if you're a judo black belt and you go to a bjj dojo, you suddenly become a white belt, and vice versa. At least from what I've seen.

If you have someone give you a black belt, you're a motherfucking black belt any mat you step on.

Back