Can we talk about Yan Cabral?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SuperSuperRambo, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Did anyone see his fight against David Mitchell on the UFC undercard? Everyone was talking about Palhares and Maia-Shields, but Cabral showed some awesome positional BJJ moves in his fight. And Mitchell is a BJJ-oriented fighter to begin with. Cabral has some nice moves on the ground, very much that Nova Uniao grappling style. Looking forward to seeing more of him if he can stay healthy.

2. david5

david5 Guest

i love the way he mounted over the butterly guard

3. Grappleboxing

Grappleboxing Brown Belt

Agree. I loved watching him battle with Mitchell in their fight. The way Araujo and Cabral used their BJJ yesterday impressed the hell out of me. Maybe they could fight in the near future, possibly giving us a great Jiu-jitsu battle.

4. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

he did it over and over again, very slick.

excellent display of how jiujitsu should be used in mma. nova uniao really is one of the best teams out there.

5. Wylian

Wylian Guest

You weren't kidding, what a great fight!

Loved his aggressive grappling.

6. Tesseract

Tesseract Yellow Belt

Yan Cabral is awesome! His jiu-jitsu is pretty damn good and he's a real friendly guy. Beast and super dedicated.

7. Hywel Teague

Hywel Teague Orange Belt

very good grappler. i got some nice footage of him rolling and talking about training in the gi

8. Bullheaded

Bullheaded Green Belt

I wonder how much time he actually spent with them though. Cabral has been teaching in Europe for the last 5 or 6 years.

9. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

It was an awesome performance.

I loved when he had Mitchell's back standing, and tripped him down by practically stepping on Mitchell's foot rather than sweeping it.

I was somewhat surprised that he wasn't able to get the arm triangle from the back. I thought he was going to find it.

Striking and wrestling still need work, but he belongs in the UFC.

10. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

Yan has a very good arm triangle.

He tapped out Sakuraba with an armtriangle.

11. ValeTudoShorts

ValeTudoShorts Blue Belt

Very nice passing and all but he couldn't submit the guy and did almost no damage on the ground. You can pass guard 100 times in one round but it doesn't really make a difference unless you stop or damage your opponent. Especially if the guy is relaxed like Anderson Silva and you end up being more tired than him coming out for the second round.

12. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i think it makes a difference, it wins the fight. i know what you're saying, but positionally dominating your opponent en route to a unanimous decision victory sounds just fine to me.

13. ValeTudoShorts

ValeTudoShorts Blue Belt

If it works out that way it's fine. But I hate seeing guys positionally dominate their opponent in the first round just to get knocked out by a fresher man in the second. That seems to happen a lot unfortunately.

14. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

well, he won the fight, he kept it on the ground, and did hid thing, bjjers dont need to finish all of their fights, they can control their opponents on the ground too, its a different control than wrestlers have, but is way nicer and achieves the same goal, winning the fight.