Can we talk about what an f-ing masterpiece Forrest Gump is?

Note how Jenny only came back to Forrest after she had aids, been ran through like subway turnstiles at rush hour in Tokyo, AND Forrest just happened to be worth tens of millions of dollars...

What a coincidence!

Last edited:
Shawshank is the most overhyped movie of all time lmao. It ain't that great.
Forrest beats it to "Most overhyped" because Shawshank is at least good, but I agree, it's not even a top 50 film and it's what a bunch of boring losers who clicked on IMDB once cite as the best because it's hard to argue with its relevance when we're beaten over the head with it everyday

These same people have 5 Marvel movies MINIMUM in their top 10

I'm talking about Forrest Gump. If you disagree, that's fine, ut you don't have to be so dismissive in the way that you were. Do you think it's some sort of powerplay to accuse someone of being confused because you take issue with their opinion? It's actually really off-putting.
You're being hyperbolic in your defense.

If you asked me if I like vanilla ice cream and I responded: "no, and I hope it dies with the wretched generation who grew up with it and their warped children!" It would be viewed as a little strange.

Even if you jumped in the film's culture it certainly wasn't a prestine view of 50s-80s Americana.

So I'll ask again, are you alright and what are your gripes with the film and those generations?

You're being hyperbolic in your defense.

If you asked me if I like vanilla ice cream and I responded: "no, and I hope it dies with the wretched generation who grew up with it and their warped children!" It would be viewed as a little strange.

Even if you jumped in the film's culture it certainly wasn't a prestine view of 50s-80s Americana.

So I'll ask again, are you alright and what are your gripes with the film and those generations?
Vanilla Ice Cream isn't a long slog of pop culture references that mesh together into an unrealistic, incomprehensible story about a retard who fucked the town slut and raised her possibly HIV positive child.

You're completely misrepresenting my point; nowhere did I say it was a "Pristine View", it's little blurbs of the horrible, wretched nightmare that was the 60's and 70's that Boomers and Xers watch and say "You see, we got through it all it, it wasn't so bad!" because their only reprise in life is how it's represented on TV.

Vanilla Ice Cream isn't a long slog of pop culture references that mesh together into an unrealistic, incomprehensible story about a retard who fucked the town slut and raised her possibly HIV positive child.
It's a movie; do all movies need to be firmly rooted in reality for you? That's an insanely aggressive take on the movie's basic plot but go on.

It's a movie; do all movies need to be firmly rooted in reality for you? That's an insanely aggressive take on the movie's basic plot but go on.
Yeah, it's a boring, overlong sanctimonious movie.
Like i said in my first post.

Yeah, it's a boring, overlong sanctimonious movie.
Like i said in my first post.
It's like 30 short films glued together and full of over the top moments. It isn't boring unless you're operating on a tiktok video length attention span. It's objectively action packed.

Sanctimonious? How so?

Is your opinion of the film? Or of someone you know who likes it? What movies do you like?

It's like 30 short films glued together and full of over the top moments. It isn't boring unless you're operating on a tiktok video length attention span. It's objectively action packed.

Sanctimonious? How so?

Is your opinion of the film? Or of someone you know who likes it? What movies do you like?
It's super boring because it isn't interesting. Forrest Gump is an uninteresting character. The most interesting characters are caricatures that offer zero relatability.
The whole vibe of it, that positivity and meek naivety will guide the soul to some sort of providence. zzzzzzzzzz boring. Purity of the soul isn't interesting to see on screen.

I like all sorts of movies, besides Marvel Movies.
You like Marvel Movies huh?

"Objectively action packed"
Oh yeah, when the cripple goes full rage and the AIDS chick dies.

I WAS ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT

It's super boring because it isn't interesting. Forrest Gump is an uninteresting character. The most interesting characters are caricatures that offer zero relatability.
The whole vibe of it, that positivity and meek naivety will guide the soul to some sort of providence. zzzzzzzzzz boring. Purity of the soul isn't interesting to see on screen.

I haven't seen a marvel movie outside of the first Wolverine film but I liked it.

Fuckin hell mate, you sound like a right fucking laugh

Forrest Gump was and is complete shit. I've never heard a non Murrican hype that shit movie lol

my-last-relationship-was-like-forrest-jenny-i-was-retarded-10355575.png

Forrest beats it to "Most overhyped" because Shawshank is at least good, but I agree, it's not even a top 50 film and it's what a bunch of boring losers who clicked on IMDB once cite as the best because it's hard to argue with its relevance when we're beaten over the head with it everyday

These same people have 5 Marvel movies MINIMUM in their top 10

Often seems like the reverse to me, people who hate Marvel would point to Shawshank as "real adult cinema".

As you say it is I think clearly a better film than Gump but both do IMHO appeal to the same kind of middle america market, Forrest as the moral innocent and Andy as the suffering saint. The Jenny plot obviously plays into that as well, the fallen counter culture hippy who needs to return home to good honest american values Forrest for salvation.

I don't think that means you need to be as bland as they are though, I mean Groundhog Day also appeals to the same kind of market as a semi religious moral conversion but I think manages to be a far better film than either of them. Unlike the above two Phil actually feels like a real rounded character who's drama is earnt.

Last edited:
Forrest Gump didn't make it to /tv/ list of essential films.
I don't think this list is very accurate though, because I browse /tv/ sometimes and they like a lot of Russian films too (Soviet and post Soviet era), but it's pretty good none the less.

essential-films.jpg

Back