Can we talk about how incredible Werdum's finish of Cain was?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
Think about the position he was in. Cain had his head against his rib cage and Werdum had his arm around Cain's neck. They fall to the ground and Cain taps shortly thereafter.

Now think about how many times in a fight you see both guys in the same position. The guy on top almost never chokes out the guy on bottom from that. It is attempted in almost every fight, and the odds of the guy with top position, and that headlock, turning it into a submission are very low.

The first time Werdum gets in that position, he pulls it off.....that's incredible.

Dude, it's an arm-in guillotine.

I mean it is an awesome submission, but it's just like any other, if done correctly it works.

Werdum is a grappling god.

Although Cain was also fucked up good.

I mean it is an awesome submission, but it's just like any other, if done correctly it works.

yeah but can we talk about it?

and he thinks werdum did a GeeOteen from top posish?

The guy on top was absolutely exhausted, the guy on bottom is possibly the best submission fighter in HW history.

Werdum is a monster, that's all I have to say.

Fair enough, but you can't deny that the opportunity presents itself in practically every fight, and the guy on the bottom (meaning the guy with an arm around his neck) almost always slips right out of it.

I figured that's what Cain would do, and when he tapped I was like....O....M.....G.

Think about the position he was in. Cain had his head against his rib cage and Werdum had his arm around Cain's neck. They fall to the ground and Cain taps shortly thereafter.

Now think about how many times in a fight you see both guys in the same position. The guy on top almost never chokes out the guy on bottom from that. It is attempted in almost every fight, and the odds of the guy with top position, and that headlock, turning it into a submission are very low.

The first time Werdum gets in that position, he pulls it off.....that's incredible.

You know you are talking about a guy who has one of the best BJJ of the UFC, right?
I mean, Werdum is on par with Maia, Nog, Mir....
This is not surprising. This is expected IMHO!

Not awesome to not include the gif

Fabricio%2BWerdum%2BSubmits%2BCain%2BVelasquez%2BUFC%2B188.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone think Cain will get his belt back?

I do not, but I am interested in your opinions.

Fair enough, but you can't deny that the opportunity presents itself in practically every fight, and the guy on the bottom almost always slips right out of it.

I figured that's what Cain would do, and when he tapped I was like....O....M.....G.

I think you're overstating how often that opportunity comes up, it's not every fight someone sticks their head and arm in the right spot. But yeah, it does come up here and there, but few fighters really take the time to master the guillotine, much less the arm-in variation. Werdum is obviously one of those guys. Jake Shields also hit a great one on Robbie Lawler. But yeah I do love to see the move executed properly, it shows finesse, in that it requires a different finishing leverage than a regular guillotine (which is why most guys lose it).

I have to agree with OP. If it was as easy as Petey is suggesting, that choke would be finished more. It is not.

I think you're overstating how often that opportunity comes up, it's not every fight someone sticks their head and arm in the right spot. But yeah, it does come up here and there, but few fighters really take the time to master the guillotine, much less the arm-in variation. Werdum is obviously one of those guys. Jake Shields also hit a great one on Robbie Lawler. But yeah I do love to see the move executed properly, it shows finesse, in that it requires a different finishing leverage than a regular guillotine (which is why most guys lose it).

I just looked at the highlight again and didn't realize Werdum had Cain's other arm trapped and was holding his hands together underneath to get the tight squeeze in. But the way he positioned his arms when Cain initially dove in at him was a thing of pure beauty.

I'm a Cain fan, but I gotta admit he looked ridiculous fighting against Werdum. The way Werdum was punching Cain in his face like it was target practice and negating the clinch with the plum made the fight look comical. Werdum took his licks but fought economically. Cain's stock dropped no doubt. The first time Cain looked like he had no clue.

I just looked at the highlight again and didn't realize Werdum had Cain's other arm trapped and was holding his hands together underneath to get the tight squeeze in. But the way he positioned his arms when Cain initially dove in at him was a thing of pure beauty.

It's just a different guillotine with the arm-in, a different finish. Werdum kind of curls up into a ball, and hugs the head into his ribs. If it was no-arm, just the neck ie a regular guillotine, then he would straighten out and lean back, pulling the head up.

That's why you see most people losing the arm-in guillotine, they either try to finish it like a regular guillotine, which doesn't work, or they just kind of hold it for a while not knowing what to do, then let it go.

Back