Can we stop overrating Kevin Lee now?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MoroccanFan, Dec 16, 2018.

1. MoroccanFan

MoroccanFan Blue Belt

Dude is a mediocre version of Khabib, and this guy is spouting nonsense on how he is the man to beat Khabib?

Khabib would beat Kevin Lee standing and tool him on the floor. Khabib's cardio, IQ and wrestling is way too much for Lee at this moment. Lee's only shot to beat Khabib when he's like 39 years old and out of prime.

But right now, no chance.

2. flyingoctoplata

flyingoctoplata Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Lee doesn't even deserve to step foot in same cage as Khabib and never will.

Generic american wrestler with no cardio and garbage striking and fight iq. A dime a dozen.

3. Lift2live

Lift2live Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I think theere is only 1 guy on this board who thinks he won. So nobody is going to be overratng him and Dana will never put him against Khabib. Khabib has Tony, Dustin, mayb Conor 2 and then whoever.

Mask Of Winters likes this.
  4. Dark Individual

Dark Individual Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Whenever I asked these people claiming Kevin Lee would beat Khabib, to state where Kevin Lee is better than Khabib, I didn't get a single convincing answer.

Lee has:
    Inferior wrestling
    Inferior chin
    Inferior cardio
    Pretty bad standup defense
    Inferior standup
    Inferior fight IQ
    Inferior heart
    Inferior BJJ
    Less power in hands

Like there is not a single thing he does better than Khabib yet somehow he is the one to beat Khabib?

5. CPH

CPH Let's party

Lee is still a great fighter. Clearly deserving of the top 5. But if by 'overrated', you mean 'not on Khabib's level', then yeah. But this was always obvious to most (?) people.

6. 24K

24K Purple Belt

when was the last time this fruitcake actually made 155? Glad Ragin’ Al put this talk about fighting for the belt to rest

7. jonnyboy316

jonnyboy316 Blue Belt

Needs 165. It will not go well for him at 170 and it is along way back for him at 155 now. He is an excellent athlete but he loses some of that with the cut. The stand up does not come naturally to him.

8. Post 2 Decision

Post 2 Decision Black Belt

Man I wish Barboza would have knocked him out with that shot...

[​IMG]

9. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

Please dont forget everybody dont understand the sport at same level,newly fans overrate fighters easily older fans dont buy the hype that easy,For me Lee is/was/will just an good fighter thats all,but no doubt newly guys think he is a phenom or something like that but nothing to shame,when I 1st got into the sport I was thinking Tyson Griffin is unbeatable one of the baddest guys walking on the earth,As I said newer fans just dont undertand the sport enough

10. MEAN357

MEAN357 DMF belt Yellow Card

Dunno if we're over rating Lee or under rating Al. Al had one of the better performances anyone had vs khabib on a few days notice and continues to show his class.

Lee is a monster when he's on top but his chin is a glaring issue. He's like the wrestler version of Barbosa. All the tools he needs but that chin will limit him.

11. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

To be honest I thought Tyson was going to go on to do big things myself and was shocked when this Frankie Edgar nobody beat his ass in his UFC debute so that's not a bad explanation at all.

12. Bogeyman

Bogeyman Electrical Cord Belt

I don't see how he's a bad version of Khabib, or any version of Khabib. He is nothing like Khabib.

He's the standard ten-a-penny wreslteboxer that the UFC has been churning out for years. He has decent athleticism and a good mindset which sets him apart a little bit but not by much.

13. yekmurat

yekmurat Silver Belt

Yeah Young Edgar was something different at that time

14. boss429

boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

Yeah he was man. Came out of nowhere and I couldn't help but count him out in almost all his fights until he beat BJ twice. Even after that I still couldn't help but think it was only a matter of time until someone beat him convincingly and still think Grey should have won there second fight but it was a long wait before someone truly dominated him. (Jose Aldo in both fights, the second being one of the most impressive performances of Aldo's career and up until Ortega on short notice the most decisive beating of his career.)

peterparker66 and Answer like this.
  15. Mask Of Winters

Mask Of Winters Silver Belt

TYSON GRIFFIN?!?! LMAO!!!

Then again I can't really say anything, I thought Houston Alexander was for real. :p

16. Mask Of Winters

Mask Of Winters Silver Belt

If you bought certain fighters for what they were worth, and sold them for what they thought they were worth, you'd be a billionaire.

17. gujukal

gujukal Orange Belt

His cardio looked good and his chin held up, the weight cut wasnt the issue in this fight. I'm not sure 165 would be better for him since he wouldnt have the same strength advantage like he has against natural lighweights.

18. Arqueto176

Arqueto176 “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”

I've been getting crap for saying he's overrated for a while now.

I thought Al would beat him again, he's definitely one of the most underrated fighters out there.

19. Vergilius

Vergilius Purple Belt

It's easy to be down on Lee after yesterday, but literally everything he needs to be a monster at LW is to improve his boxing. Use your reach, move your damn head off the center line and relax a little. Dude looked real tense in the striking exchanges, though his left kick to the body was very good. I don't even think he has a weak chin, he just gets hit flush with no slipping or rolling with the punches. Lee is 26. In two or three years the time may be right for him to be champ.

Alanf7 and IsNormal like this.
  20. IsNormal

IsNormal Purple Belt

I was impressed with Lee's 2 solid takedowns and the way he got Al's back easily both times.
    Also the way he mounted Ferguson.

This shows that perhaps he could beat most top 5 LW:s early in a fight, just like Conor, but is more likely to lose the longer it goes on.

Of course now, with his boxing not looking too good in this fight, he doesn't seem like a threat to Khabib. But few guys are.

peterparker66 likes this.