Can we stop blaming everything on CTE?

Oh, so you do know? How do you know exactly? How about the millions of non-mma fighters with psychosis? Please, grace us with your knowledge

Psychiatrists will look at the history of the millions of people with psychosis and can usually pin it down to a risk factor or two that contributed. There is normally a genetic predisposition to psychosis and something tips them over the edge e.g. drugs, stress, abuse etc. Excluding brain trauma from this list is being quite ignorant.

Psychiatrists will look at the history of the millions of people with psychosis and can usually pin it down to a risk factor or two that contributed. There is normally a genetic predisposition to psychosis and something tips them over the edge e.g. drugs, stress, abuse etc. Excluding brain trauma from this list is being quite ignorant.
I’m not excluding it at ALL. However, you and other members on here are putting all your eggs in the head trauma basket.

I'm gonna go with a solid no. It's the perfect excuse. Caught speeding? Sorry officer...I'm a bit punchy this morning. Cheat on your wife...sorry sweety, woke up punch drunk. I use it daily and if used correctly no can defend. I haven't been punched in the head since jr high.

Is getting hit in the head healthy? Of course not. But sometimes, people get afflicted with mental illness and it has nothing to do with fighting. Not EVERYTHING is related to MMA. It sounds like Tony is dealing with some form of psychosis and mania. There’s no literature on bipolar/schizophrenia symptoms deriving from fighting. Just cool it with the CTE talk, it’s not always that simple. Just because Joe Rodan thinks everything is related to head trauma doesn’t mean it’s true.

Please educate yourself before posting bullshit like this. There is a scientifically proven correlation between CTE (any head trauma, to be specific) and the development of psychiatric illnesses/sypmtoms. I come from a medical background and I can tell with absolute certainty that the question about potential head traumas in the past are a part of routine interviews, always.

I’m not excluding it at ALL. However, you and other members on here are putting all your eggs in the head trauma basket.

Not putting all my eggs in one basket. Just saying that with the information we have at the moment, brain trauma would have to be at then top of a differential diagnosis.

I akin it to PTSD.

Plenty of veterans have PTSD, plenty of veterans don't and use the claim as an escape for personal responsibility. With CTEs I don't carte blanche excuse all fighters due to their occupation. Like Aaron Hernandez, suddenly he wasn't just a huge piece of shit, it was football that made him that way. Never-mind that his history long before the NFL was him being a piece of shit.

It's a case by case basis and no fan, or podcaster can definitively diagnosis a symptom of a CTE.

No, we can't. It's the most probable culprit in the Tony case

As somebody who grew up in a household with a parent who was diagnosed bipolar/manic depressive, Tony's reported behaviors sound very reminiscent of such. I also wouldn't completely rule out this being CTE issue though.

this CTE drama reminds me of when Max Holloway was supposedly a stage 4 alzheimer's patient being served up to Ortega on a silver platter after his supposed life altering beating he took from Aldo, which amounted to 1 good flurry in a single round.

Is getting hit in the head healthy? Of course not. But sometimes, people get afflicted with mental illness and it has nothing to do with fighting. Not EVERYTHING is related to MMA. It sounds like Tony is dealing with some form of psychosis and mania. There’s no literature on bipolar/schizophrenia symptoms deriving from fighting. Just cool it with the CTE talk, it’s not always that simple. Just because Joe Rodan thinks everything is related to head trauma doesn’t mean it’s true.
Actually there IS literature that links CTE to schizophrenia.
This article quotes a scientific study, that says you’re 1.6 times more likely to develop Schizophrenia if you have have had a TBI.

“The results show people who have suffered from a traumatic brain injury (TBI) are 1.6 times more likely to develop schizophrenia compared with those who have not suffered such an injury.

The risk was particularly high in those with a family history of schizophrenia.

Previous studies regarding TBI and schizophrenia have yielded mixed results as to whether the conditions are linked. The new study is one of the first to pool information from past research in a systematic way to get an indication of the risk.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/head-injury-may-cause-mental-illness/

This is another study and the results were mixed. Also, it only studies childhood TBI (Traumatic brain injury) as it relates to developing schizophrenia.

“Our analysis did not support the hypothesis that childhood or adolescent head injury is more likely to be associated with later schizophrenia.23,24 However, this subgroup analysis was based on just 3 studies.1315Two of these studies14,15 did find significant associations between childhood or adolescent onset TBI and later schizophrenia but the largest study did not find an association.13 Previously, Wilcox and Nasrallah24 reported a highly significant 10-fold increase in risk for schizophrenia following head injury before the age of 10 years, but this study was not included in the meta-analysis because it used surgical controls.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3196949/

CTE is real. We need to wake up to the immense trauma we inflict on each other as children. That's where it all starts. Sure that Dodge ball hitting you in the face seemed innocuous, BECAUSE YOU ARE BRAIN DAMAGED YOU IDIOT YOU DONT KNOW ANY BETTER. PILLOW FIGHT? BRAIN DAMAGE. WATER BALLOON, YOU BETTER FUCKING BELIEVE THATS BRAIN DAMAGE. WHERE DOES IT END.
I took a ball to the face playing dodge ball in 5th grade and looking back I think I may have been concussed. I was instantly dazed and wobbly. It was after school and there no teachers around to see it. I had headaches for weeks and felt like I was clouded in a fog. I couldn’t concentrate at school either. I didn’t have any light sensitivity but I really feel I was concussed. I don’t know why but I never told my parents.

OP has CTE

CONFIRMED

Back